First Impressions of the N4 Pro

tchavei

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Well, here we are. After some initial frustrations with my A139 Pro which I later ended solving after a firmware upgrade and sdcard change, I got the opportunity to check out this new dashcam model from Vantrue, I want to share my initial impressions when I got this unit today. Over time I'll dwell into it deeper and try to be as impartial as humanly possible about what I find.

Since it's very early, I just want to share my initial impressions hardware wise avoiding to repeat what already was said on other threads unless it's really important.

The package

It comes very well packed, not far off from the A139 Pro. Maybe even a few notches higher as it even includes cloths to clean the windshield before attaching the stand/dashcam to it. It comes with all necessary cables to make the dashcam work in a 3 channel configuration for everyday driving. It doesn't include a hardwiring kit though, just like the A139 Pro doesn't.
Looking up the Vantrue store, I did find two compatible hardwiring kits but I'm still confused about the huge price difference between both of them ($18 vs $27, I believe). Can't be just the different voltage cut off points?

One negative thing I did find (in my opinion) is that contrary to Viofo, Vantrue isn't including the CPL Filter as standard on its flagship. That's another $18 one will have to add to the purchase price.

The dashcam

Wow. The design / hardware team is ingenious. Kudos to them.

The unit is slightly bigger than expected but has a very solid feel to it. The design is modern and feels state of the art. The "stand", mount or attachment point (call it whatever you like) solves instantly one of my gripes with the A139 Pro: it allows adjusting lateral tilt after installation. This is specially welcome for OCD people like me that might have lined up the mount as horizontally as possible but then realize there's a 1mm tilt on either side. With a completely ridgid mount, there's no adjustment possible. The N4 Pro mount however allows multiple degree tilting to and side, front and back. The fact it also holds magnetically to the dashcam is a plus as it allows one to easily remove it whenever needed.

The front lens positioning is thought for left hand drivers! Yes. Thank you! I'm sorry UK folks. I was/am green of envy with my A139 Pro as it clearly was designed for right hand drivers and very of center for left hand drivers. I feel I was revenged with this design.

The power button / lock video button / sdcard cover: impressive. It's really well thought out. There's clearly no confusion with what that button does and I can't see myself failing to tap it to lock a video if needed. I admit that with my a139 Pro, since it's mounted on the right side, hidden by the rear mirror, I always have to blindly search for the lock button to save a video.

The magnetic cover for the sdcard is ingenious. It really is. I remember old threads refering that sdcard readers don't have a true locking system so that in case of an accident, there's a true risk of the sdcard to eject or fall off. With the N4 Pro and the lock/power button disguised magnetic cover, I can't see that happening ever. It also protects the card further. I'm really excited by this feature (if someone hasn't noticed yet).

The dashcam case also seems to have ample cooling slots (instead of just holes) which should help with the heat build up. We'll see.

The negative

The cable connecting the main dashcam to the rear one is thick. It feels specially thick after having installed a 2mm coaxial cable that the viofo a139 Pro comes with. My car has pretty tight tolerances and I can see some extra prying will be needed if I decide to go full in and replace my current system.

The dashcam weight. It feels great, don't get me wrong but I'm concerned how that weight might affect the 3m pad holding the mount to the windshield in high summer. Will it hold? I don't know (yet).

Power vs rear camera port. The power port being hidden inside the camera mount is great. It's clean and elegant. The fact that the rear camera cable has to be plugged directly into the dashcam main body ruins it. I get that there's no easy way of incorporating the read camera connection into the mount but it would have been mind blowing if it were possible.

Non modular design

People who want 3 channel dashcams will consider this. People who have no interest in recording the interior will feel they're overpaying for something they don't want. I get the appeal of having an attached interior camera and you can turn it off if you don't want it but it feels wrong for ocd people like me. Maybe offer a N4 Pro in two channel version without the interior camera or even one that can be added later. That would make a modular compact design 'lego' style. The customer adds the features as he wants without long cables.

To be reviewed in the future: the screen. I don't know if I like it or not. I can see the advantages but also the downsides. Mixed feelings right now. I'll expand on this part later.

Next will be the software. Stay tuned!

Back