Hands on, first impressions.

Decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly a big thank you to Jeff and Vantrue, some months ago they reached out asking if I would like to partake in the N4pro trials. The unit has now arrived along with some very wet weather, and I would like to give my first impressions.
I received yesterday 8/12/23 the boxed dashcam ,Sd card, CPL (polarised filter), hard wire kit. Yes foc in return for some honest opinions, good or bad. This is my first ever review of such a product and I hope that someone finds it useful.

Straight out of the box,
What I did notice was the size of the unit, a hand full indeed, coming in at 208g compared to my Nextbase 522GW at a slight 125g. To cope with the weight there is electrostatic film, followed by adhesive promoter to ensure a good bond between windscreen and gps mount. A 3.2”screen and control buttons make it easy to setup. The gps mount, like the Nextbase 522 is magnetic, but easier to disengage but a snug solid fit incorporating the main power socket which is type C-usb.
The sd card fits snuggly into the end and is capable of taking a 512GB card.
The 40mm CPL screws directly to the front of the lense with movement to adjust and remove glare.
Power is supplied via the car charger which has a type C-usb built in. There are two hard wire kits available one with timers but both have low power protection, these are purchased separately to suit your own requirements.
The rear camera is small, light and plastic. Attached to the front of the vehicle with what looks like a very heavy weight cable, thick. A pity really, finer and lighter would have been much easier to hide. So it’s probably built to a standard.
Overall, the camera unit looks extremely well built, the rear one is quite flimsy but I think functional, as once installed there would be no need to touch it again.

Set up.
Once the camera is powered up and synchronised with your phone, set up can be done through your phone. But this is where I struggled, there where a couple of Vantrue apps within Apple store and it didn’t identify which was needed. My old iPhone struggled with the wifi setup. I can only hope this becomes easier with time and practice. But once I got there, it was so easy to use, even updating the firmware to the two cameras was extremely easy and quick. I know there has been a flurry of updates as a very dedicated team of testers have brought new things to the table and Vantrue are taking it onboard making the alterations as necessary to provide a better product. (You can see the work being put in by visiting the Vantrue N4pro forum, along with numerous product pictures and video clips).

Testing.
Once the weather settles I’ll fit the dashcam and do some comparisons. Okay, I can hear you saying that there is no comparison between a 5 year old Nextbase 522GW, 2 channel, 2k setup and a new Vantrue N4 pro, 3 channel, 4k setup. But that’s all I’ve got, some 4k are not all they seem, some 2k are very good. So we’ll see what happens on the road .

Okay, I can hear you saying that there is no comparison between a 5 year old Nextbase 522GW, 2 channel, 2k setup and a new Vantrue N4 pro, 3 channel, 4k setup.
Of course there is a comparison, and there will be quite a few people wanting to know if that particular upgrade is worthwhile. You can usefully answer that question even if you can't answer the question of if it is the best option, but there are already plenty of comparisons between dashcams directly competing with the N4 Pro, so you don't need to answer that question.

Did a quick hook up this morning and did a few miles. Good clear picture but was disappointed that the cameras remained on, for the whole of my journey. Doing a comparison with my Nextbase 522 it gives me options of Blank screen, wallpaper picture or digital gps speedo. Coming on auto after about 20 seconds.
The Speedo my lovely co-driver of 53 years liked to keep an eye on. Would it be too difficult a job to do something likewise as we already have a GPS mount? Something for another day perhaps, or even the option to kill the screen, ( unless I’ve missed that instruction).
On shutting off the car, N4 pro powered down after 15 seconds, 5 year old Nextbase with original batteries took 20 seconds.
I was impressed with the ‘take phone’ voice command, that was instantaneous.

Last edited:
I’ll have to look harder, thanks for the heads up.
LCD Off, Found it, thanks.

Last edited:
Now had a chance to play around with the PC Players. Being able to display your clips is just as important as taking them, not just an after thought.
Venture player, comes a far distant second to the workings and functions of the My Nextbase player.
Vantrue Player, is a basic player, stop/start, loop, check my speed and location on map. No refinements.
The My Nextbase is all the above Plus a full editing suit, where you can chop, link, mark, enhance your dashcam clips. In play, you can move the screen around to left/right, up and down, bringing an object / vehicle into the centre of you screen and zoom in too.
Of course this is my only comparison so out of 10,
Vantrue gets 5,
My Nextbase a 9+

Now had a chance to play around with the PC Players. Being able to display your clips is just as important as taking them, not just an after thought.
Venture player, comes a far distant second to the workings and functions of the My Nextbase player.
Vantrue Player, is a basic player, stop/start, loop, check my speed and location on map. No refinements.
The My Nextbase is all the above Plus a full editing suit, where you can chop, link, mark, enhance your dashcam clips. In play, you can move the screen around to left/right, up and down, bringing an object / vehicle into the centre of you screen and zoom in too.
Of course this is my only comparison so out of 10,
Vantrue gets 5,
My Nextbase a 9+
We're working on adding new features of the Vantrue player, stay tuned for future updates ;)

Don’t know whether I was booked or not, hoping he was having a cup of tea.

Don’t know whether I was booked or not, hoping he was having a cup of tea.
I don't think he should have taken a reading until you were on the straight, and by then you were within the speed limit.
If he took a reading before you passed the van, you were not moving directly towards him, so the reading would have been lower and inaccurate.

Hehe arriving home yesterday i was like WTH,,,,, a undercover police car followed me into the back yard where i park, i think they assumed i was not wearing the seatbelt, but then seeing me take it off they just did a 180 and left.
I am going to retrieve the footage today after my drive, CUZ i want to know where i picked them up.

Yep...Very sneaky indeed.

Down here in Australia...ie; N.S.W. quite a whle ago, the speed camera vehicles were just parked, like your guy, on the side of the road/s.
They were NOT required to warn oncoming drivers of their presence.....BUT after a lot of angry motorists complained that it was just a
"revenue raising" act, (& "they" raked in heaps of $$$'s), the law was changed & "they" now have reverted to displaying a warning sign about 80 or 100, (not sure?), metres before their damn vehicle/s.

But...We still have motor cycle & vehicle police, hiding in the bushes on major 100 k/h freeways with their cameras & LIDAR units.

Sneaky? Yep.

ATK cars here do not warn of their presence, but there is a APP for the phone, that generally warn of their presence, that is if you are not the first one to arrive after they set up shop.
These are manned by retired cops or just regular folks, CUZ really in the state of this country Police do not have time for any BS like sitting in a car with a laser gun, its about 10 years since i have seen a police car doing manual speed check.

ATK cars here are just a plain van, some times not even parked on the road it monitor ( latest models are wireless now so can put camera trap further from the car )

iu

The mantra here is that they only operate at places where there is a risk of real danger, but I can show many places where their idea of danger and those driving would disagree. Our local police force have doubled their camera fleet in the past couple of years, easy money.

Likewise, operated by police staff (not officers)

Well in that case it’s a good job I didn’t put my number plate on YT.

Ahh... I thought maybe the **** *** might have been one. :D My bad!
I wouldn't have posted someones plate in text format when it wasn't already posted as text!

There is no way of connecting the vehicles in the two videos, and without the license plate of vehicle in the speeding video, they can't do anything.

There is not much issue anyway, it would have to be clearly dangerous driving before the police will bother analysing a Youtube video, they are not going to start an investigation based on an uncalibrated GPS reading showing that he started to slow down at approximately the same time he passed the 40 speed limit sign. We can assume that there will be at least 1 second delay on the GPS speed, and looking at the updates it is quite likely 3 seconds at times, which would mean he started to slow exactly at the 40 sign, you are not expected to hit the brakes hard when you see the sign!

If they get him, it will have been the van, probably for doing 41 in the 40, but I will be surprised if they do.

No the XC60 VLV only indicates the vehicle I might be driving. Not too hung up about reg plates, they are in the public domain and one reason we put them on the outside of our cars both front and back.

Back