FIRST TIME DAS/CAM [WHICH ONE???]

jazz5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys . i`m looking to buy my first dash cam .My daily commute to work is 15 miles each way . I will be taking it out of the car at night , i don`t mind how much it cost . Okay what i would like in my dash cam is
-reliabilIty
-good quality video night and day
-gps
-wifi
there will be times when i will be making longer trips .As i said earlier i don`t mind how much it cost.I also don`t mind if it`s hard wired or plug in . or how big it is
I have looked at a couple of dash cams
1-thinkware f750
2-blackvue
3-transcend drive pro 220 [ i have read about doing the date and clock everytime , i have no problem with doing that]
It would be get to hear from anybody who can give me some good advice
i live and drive in the south of england
cheers jazz5

It's the DP200 which can lose its settings if not used regularly enough (due to using a capacitor). The DP220 and DP100 use a battery and won't forget settings until the battery wears out (which can be sooner that you'd like due to how hot it gets in a car in summer).

If you're making longer trips you'll find that some cams will only accept up to 32GB memory cards which will hold between 3-5 hours of video depending on the cam. After that time the older files will be overwritten unless you (or the cam G-sensor) has protected them.

I would suggest running two different front cams (because memory card failure or user error can affect even the best cams) and also run one rear cam which can help put things seen by the front cam into context.

Before you buy a cam, consider its design and how you'll manage to fit it on your windscreen - and whether that area is badly affected by reflections (speakers, blower vents, dash-top contours).
If you decide to run a rear cam bear in mind that suction mounts don't generally stay put on rear windows.

Being as WiFi is on your list.. try to define just how you expect the WiFi to work. I.. bought the BlackVue.. and am disappointed with the WiFi feature as it only connects to a smart phone.. There is now firmware that uses the cloud.. it is new and the jury is out on how well that is going to work. "I" thought I would be able to connect to my laptop and thus view / save or otherwise use the data.. NOT. Removing the SD card and transferring it to my laptop is a pain in the butt..

Yes it seem often ppl wanting wifi want is for thangs thats just not there in dashcams yet.
ATM i can make do with wifi to do settings, but when i one day go phone-free again, working a dashcam like that will be a problem.

If you want to steam footage to a tablet or phone live, why would you even do that ? i can sort of undestand it if we are talking about a rear camera, but even there it is a bad solution as dashcams dont have guide lines in footage, and is not able to mirror / flip image.
And you are far better off looking in the rear view mirror, or turn your head, after all the whole world have been reversing cars for decades that way, and it seem to have worked fine.
Not for me though ;) the 2 times i have made dents in any of my cars it have allways been in reverse :oops::p

If you want to have the camera connect to your home wifi and then upload all its footage to your NAS, well good luck, dashcams make a lot of footage, and then you will just have to sit in front of the computer and delete unwanted footage on the NAS anyway.

But offcourse if you have a NAS with 4 x 4 Tb drives in it, you will be fine,,,,,, for a little while. ( depending offcourse on how much you drive every day )

Today wifi is a buzz word, for me it make alarmbells go off.

If you want to transfer anything off your dashcam, it should only be the fjew files where there is somthing going on ( crash or some idiot doing somthing stupid you wish to expose on youtube )
All the other Gb of data is just "garbage" that have no reason to save it.

If you want to have the camera connect to your home wifi and then upload all its footage to your NAS, well good luck, dashcams make a lot of footage, and then you will just have to sit in front of the computer and delete unwanted footage on the NAS anyway.

All I am hoping for with WiFi is the ability to look at individual files and view (and save if interesting) them.. every bit the same way as the BlackVue PC viewer does when you physically move the SD chip to your computer. I have never seen what is available to view on a smart phone, but all my Android tablet is capable of is showing the camera view.. NOT the GPS enabled map of where you have been (or other sensor data). I would have no more desire to delete the 500 + files via my PC than I would with a smart phone or tablet.. or.. do a "select all" and delete.
Why.. there is so much resistance to being able to connect to a WiFi enabled PC is beyond me.

Yeah i have to admit i am a little WIFI phobic, at times i have even been accused of beeing a tin foil hat wearing technophobe, which is about as far from the truth as you can get.
But that's what i get when i at times question some new technologies.

The Jovuu X camera is able to do what you ask and i think a fjew more is too.
Via the APP you can go into the recorded files and then preview or DL one of the clips to the phone/tablet, but this is not a feature i have used much myself during testing.
I allso thing you can broardcast a given file you select directely to your youtube and other social media thingymajigs using your phone as a modem.

There is allso a PC version under work, that more or less let you do the same on a computer with wifi as you can do with a app on a phone or tablet.

Hi Jazz

I would recommend the Blackvue DR650GW 1CH or the 2DH I went with 2 single channel cameras on for the front and one for the back window. I have only had the cameras for a few days and I have been happy with the quality. The 2 new cameras replaced my older finevue cr500hd front and rear cameras.

Back