Fitting in Tesla 3

vitoman58

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Have been using a Viofo 119 v2 in my cars since 2016 and all has worked well. Hope to be moving to a Tesla next year and want to fit a new dashcam to supplement the built-in Sentry mode. The extra dashcam will be used for higher-res front facing capture of number plates etc whilst driving. Wouldn't need it for parking mode as would use the built-in Tesla cameras.
So thinking of a new v3 119 camera connected simply to 12v outlet so it powers off automatically when car is off. Tesla's don't have a fusebox so can't tap in that way, so 12v supply is easiest option.
Has anyone done this and do you think the 119 would be the best bet?
Thanks, Steve.

Hi all.
Have been using a Viofo 119 v2 in my cars since 2016 and all has worked well. Hope to be moving to a Tesla next year and want to fit a new dashcam to supplement the built-in Sentry mode. The extra dashcam will be used for higher-res front facing capture of number plates etc whilst driving. Wouldn't need it for parking mode as would use the built-in Tesla cameras.
So thinking of a new v3 119 camera connected simply to 12v outlet so it powers off automatically when car is off. Tesla's don't have a fusebox so can't tap in that way, so 12v supply is easiest option.
Thanks, Steve.
Look at the A119 Mini 2. It has a new video sensor, Wi-Fi and voice notifications. It will be better than v3.
Videos and screenshots from Mini 2.

Hi all.
Thanks, Steve.

If you plan on using sentry mode during parking, the car won't be shutting off, as far as I'm aware that is. Anything that's plugged into the 12v cigarette outlet port stays on if sentry mode is active.

And I would go with the A119 Mini 2 or even consider doing a 2-channel like the A229 Plus. Tesla dash cam can be unreliable at times.

Thanks both, that's really helpful. I'd seen that Sentry mode being on would mean 12v also on. I don't plan on using Sentry mode that often and would be willing to unplug Viofo when not needed as an easy way of avoiding battery drain if I do turn on Sentry.

I currently have two A129 pro cameras permanently installed in my TM3. I have them set to motion detect mode. In this mode, they continuously record when driving, but only capture when something moves through their field of view when parked. I have the Sentry mode turned off at home (the car is in the garage), but on everywhere else, so the cameras will be un-powered when the car is parked in my garage.
The A129 pro cameras are 4K, so they are good enough to capture plates during the day, but at night, they suffer from over exposure of the plate, and motion blur making night time plate capture unlikely.

The A129 pro cameras are 4K, so they are good enough to capture plates during the day, but at night, they suffer from over exposure of the plate, and motion blur making night time plate capture unlikely.
A119 Mini 2 copes with this task perfectly. :cool:

Great advice so thanks all. The A119 Mini 2 seems the way to go :)
@DAP have you got yours plugged in to 12v or some other way?

I have it powered by a Thinkware iVolt Mini dash cam battery pack in my Tesla Model Y. The battery pack is powered by the 12v cigarette outlet in the armrest area and a hardwire kit connected to the battery to power the Viofo A139 dash cam.

I leave sentry mode off 90% of the time unless I feel necessary to turn it on in the parking lot i'm parked at, as I do not want sentry mode to drain the car's battery too much.

I have it powered by a Thinkware iVolt Mini dash cam battery pack in my Tesla Model Y. The battery pack is powered by the 12v cigarette outlet in the armrest area and a hardwire kit connected to the battery to power the Viofo A139 dash cam.

I leave sentry mode off 90% of the time unless I feel necessary to turn it on in the parking lot i'm parked at, as I do not want sentry mode to drain the car's battery too much.
Thanks @runtohell121

Great advice so thanks all. The A119 Mini 2 seems the way to go :)
@DAP have you got yours plugged in to 12v or some other way?
I tapped into the power line to the cigarette lighter outlet in the arm rest, and mounted a multi-outlet USB power supply down under the box that contains the air filter. I don't recommend doing this as the connector on the back of the outlet is proprietary, and you can't get an equivalent connector so you must splice into the wires. In theory, you can turn off the power to that outlet using the menu, but opening or closing a door, or touching the brake pedal will turn it back on. To get it to stay off would require disconnecting the 12V battery, and to be safe, the high voltage battery (under the back seat).
As a side note, the A129 draws a lot of power, and is very sensitive to the voltage it gets. The USB power supply I'm using outputs 5.2V (instead of the specified 5V) which helps compensate for the voltage drop due to resistive losses in the wire. I'm also using power cables made from heavy gauge lamp cord to minimize voltage droop. The A119 may not use as much power.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DAP A119 32
Back