Five cams but which is the best?

Maulhofer

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Oh my God, now I am totally confused because I now can not even decide which is the best cam for me.

It started with the DR32 is now no longer the question for me! I have discovered many cams here and it will please me more and more.

I now have to choose from five Cams all like me. Some have GPS which is good but not absolutely necessary for me. Others have this WDR what to take pictures at night should be very good. Some have large wide angle where you can see much but a bit further away and not so close to the eyes. It is very important that my cam is very good both day and night and where you can very well read the license plate.

Now I would like to know what makes the best cam videos day and night and easy to read indicator times.

And here are these cams:

Ambarella A2S70 VF960

Ambarella A5 Vico-TF2 + Premium

DOD LS300W (or GT300W)

Eeyelog HDW001 Full HD Ambarella A5S30

Mivue 388

Sorry for the many cams my choice but with so many cams it's just difficult.

Regards, Maulhofer

Maulhofer said:
Oh my God, now I am totally confused because I now can not even decide which is the best cam for me.

It started with the DR32 is now no longer the question for me! I have discovered many cams here and it will please me more and more.

I now have to choose from five Cams all like me. Some have GPS which is good but not absolutely necessary for me. Others have this WDR what to take pictures at night should be very good. Some have large wide angle where you can see much but a bit further away and not so close to the eyes. It is very important that my cam is very good both day and night and where you can very well read the license plate.

Now I would like to know what makes the best cam videos day and night and easy to read indicator times.

And here are these cams:

Ambarella A2S70 VF960

Ambarella A5 Vico-TF2 + Premium

DOD LS300W (or GT300W)

Eeyelog HDW001 Full HD Ambarella A5S30

Mivue 388

Sorry for the many cams my choice but with so many cams it's just difficult.

Regards, Maulhofer

Hi Maulhofer.
I think you have to determine t oyourself first the form factor. If you want to hind behind the rearview mirror so it will blend in with mirror if looking from outside, then you have to go for horizontal type form factor dash cams like DOD Eeyelog.
If formfactor is not important, then my knowledge would be this:

Ambarella A2S70 VF960 = good dash cam, but add 10usd and get LS300W, it has much higher aperture F1.6, or buy GT300W for same money, - they are the same with LS300W

Ambarella A5 Vico-TF2 + Premium = getVico TF2 EZ series which has better aperture F2.0 ( vs F2.2 on TF2+ ) and records in MOV ( vs AVI on TF2+ ). Only thing which disturbs me is that not having a motion detection, which is essential for me. Dont know how about you ?

DOD LS300W (or GT300W) = my personal best within price range up to 150usd, - you can save money and buy GT300W or GT350W ( 99usd ) by Shadow-Tec, - thay are all the same ( check my topic about shadow tech )

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1489&hilit=gt350w

Eeyelog HDW001 Full HD Ambarella A5S30 = russian forums splits on 50 / 50, - some hate it , some live it. If works without glitches, then it is very good dash cam. If you will get some glitch, then you will be hating it, because it not that easy to overcome them. Eeyelog should work more on they firmware.

Mivue 388 = if you getting with newer updated firmware ( WDR ) + polaroid lens filter and form factor is not important, then this would be my choice. But form factor is not for me.

My personal best I am using now for nearly 2 month is Panorama2. Read my topic:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

You will find some RAW files I have uploaded myself. This weekend will be uploading more Panorama2 RAW files from different day conditions + more pictures because I feel it is promising dash cam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks niko for your answers.

What would you say is the best cam for day and night video. Form factor does not matter.

Maulhofer said:
Many thanks niko for your answers.

What would you say is the best cam for day and night video. Form factor does not matter.

I have tested from your list only DOD LS300W / TioTech GT300W. Have seen RAW files of Eeyelog HDW001, so I can fairly judge by my real hands on experience only, not by rumours.
Very important factor is bit-rate. My heart is up for Mio and Vico, but they bit-rate is very low in these days, only approx 9Mbps. If they would rise bit-rate up to 15Mbps like DOD / Tiotech, - then those two would be nr.1 choice. Until then I would go for DOD LS300W / GT300W. But hopefully Vico and Mio will come up soon with firmware update to rise a bit-rate.

Panorama2 having the Sony Exmor CMOS sensor and 12Mbps bit-rate would be my choice out of your 5 dash camera choice ( check my Panorama2 posts below )

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1208

"adorfer" from Germany has also ordered Panorama2 few days ago. So lets wait 1-2 weeks, maybe he can add some personal experience with that dash cam.

Final recommendation: if you not in a hurry, please wait few month until supposedly Ambarella A7 based dash cams will be available, - they should beat in theory all above dash cameras, but its only if whole package will be put together correctly and in harmony ( CPU + CMOS + LENS + FIRMWARE = harmony ).

niko said:
Final recommendation: if you not in a hurry, please wait few month until supposedly Ambarella A7 based dash cams will be available, - they should beat in theory all above dash cameras, but its only if whole package will be put together correctly and in harmony ( CPU + CMOS + LENS + FIRMWARE = harmony ).

yes it will still be possible to produce average results with an A7, there's a lot more to it than what processor is used, plenty of examples of cameras based on the same platforms with wildly different results

jokiin said:
niko said:

yes it will still be possible to produce average results with an A7, there's a lot more to it than what processor is used, plenty of examples of cameras based on the same platforms with wildly different results

funny sometimes a mess a buggy firmware can do.

Not a expert on these
But from personal usage and the short time I have had it

The blackview 500 wifi

These are my pics not Internet stock
I am happy with it

Saying all that there are some very informed guys on do some research on this forum
There are many pros and cons on every camera
Even mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370755782.420182.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370755782.420182.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 593
Stay clear of BlackVue, the camera is a low range over priced piece of junk, my Galaxy Nexus mobile phone has better video quality and I'm dead set serious.

If you like green tinge, poor night quality, pixelation and low bit rate of 6mbit, then the Blackvue DR500 is definitely for you. It even comes at double the price of most other cams and has a zoomed out lens that captures your dash and steering wheel. Objects in front of your vehicle will also appear much further away making those registration plates much harder to see... just what you don't need unless your dashcam is to video your dash area.

Like I said stay clear of this trash :lol:

I'm pretty sure that there will be a Vico TF2 Premium or LS300W (GT300W) me. I can not wait that long because I would like to hold a cam in my hands, I'm actually a little impatient and wants to have a good cam :)

Until the new A7 cams come out maybe something will last and I do not know how long I can wait :)

Edit: The LS300W and Vico are about the same good cams but I have seen FoxOffer that Vico is $ 74 more expensive than LS300W. What makes this cam so much more expensive?

adamus said:
Best quality/price is DOD L300W (now you can order plus version with plate registration place in footage and 3M holder). I order only from Shenzen Saddle from ali and I'm always happy.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Orig ... 01519.html

For coming cameras new Vicovation WF1 may be the winner (WDR, WiFI, heat resistance but no GPS, small battery and only 32 GB ), price looks quite high...
http://www.vicovation.com/product.asp?IDno=18&lang=en

As from BlackVue experience, the WiFi on Vico WF1 is useless to me, due to slow data transport and it is not yet known what bitrate Vico WF1 will be recording ? IF lets say 15Mbps recording, - this will take a lot of high-speed data transmitting over WiFi from dash cam into mobile phone and I am a little bit sceptical that WF1 will cope with this without any glitches.
Whole Vico TF2 series, Mio, BlackVue etc so called "high end" good dash cams they all losers in bitrate providing only 6-9Mbps ( if not hacked )
Also they all losing in aperture. Vico TF2+ F2.2, VIco WF1 F2.2, best VIco TF2 EZ has F2.0, but still at night vision recording the winner is DOD LS300W !!!

As for price per quality DOD LS300W is the winner ! You can go for TioTech GT300W for about 20% less price, you will get same product. Or for 99usd Shadow Tec GT350W:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1489&hilit=gt350w

Buy GT350W, you will get good quality video recording dash cam to play with till the end of the year and when full range of Ambarella A7 based dash cams will be available, then open your wallet for 300usd proper high-end dash cam, if not happy with LS300W / GT300W, GT350W.

Milamber said:
Stay clear of BlackVue, the camera is a low range over priced piece of junk, my Galaxy Nexus mobile phone has better video quality and I'm dead set serious.

If you like green tinge, poor night quality, pixelation and low bit rate of 6mbit, then the Blackvue DR500 is definitely for you. It even comes at double the price of most other cams and has a zoomed out lens that captures your dash and steering wheel. Objects in front of your vehicle will also appear much further away making those registration plates much harder to see... just what you don't need unless your dashcam is to video your dash area.

Like I said stay clear of this trash :lol:

Thanks Milamber.
I thought I brought a good one ,

Kind of kicked when on the floor

It's ok for me ,
My intentions were to pick up 2 of these
One is for my work van

But now my second will have to wait

In the mean time

This 1.99 bargain is just right
And putting my old iPhone 4 to good use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk