Ford Joins Tesla by Adding Dashcams

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Read an article and thought this was interesting. This seems geared towards American Market (You can't enter any other location code but an american one). But once you enter Ford's Page to build a Maverick, it shows you an option for a Front + Rear + Interior (cab) Dashcam.

1642190260136.png

It's just factory installed accessories and those dashcams are from Thinkware.

Wow finally!!! I always wonder why manufacturers are not stepping forward with installed dash cams or atleast offering it as an option where law allows. I think Audi has an optional dash cam they call it as traffic camera or something but pricey for it's features. But a good step by Ford and I hope other manufacturers join soon.

Wow finally!!! I always wonder why manufacturers are not stepping forward with installed dash cams or atleast offering it as an option where law allows. I think Audi has an optional dash cam they call it as traffic camera or something but pricey for it's features. But a good step by Ford and I hope other manufacturers join soon.

My guess is liability, but by using a 3rd party product, maybe they are able to offload the responsibility. Honestly, dashcams have many purposes and I am glad Ford recognizes their potential.

1. Capture a crime
2. Capture an accident involving others
3. Capture an accident involving yourself
4. I also have used my dashcam (and never considered this a possibility) to capture issues I've had with my car!

True, but manufacturers offering dashcams as an option is a step in the right direction. Even if they are a 3rd party product.
Yes indeed. And no hassle of tucking the wires and installing hardwire kits etc and it doesn't look like an aftermarket installed camera when manufacturers install it.

Yes indeed. And no hassle of tucking the wires and installing hardwire kits etc and it doesn't look like an aftermarket installed camera when manufacturers install it.

I'm not exactly sure how Ford is doing the setup. F200 is a front + rear camera pricing for $199.99. So for the cab camera, maybe they are using a forward camera and facing inward? As it says Front + Rear + Cab. I think the single camera is $119.99

So honestly, you aren't paying anything really to have the product installed for you. A very good value that manufacturer is basically including for current market value. Especially to consumers who want a dashcam, but don't have the ability to self install. As installation alone isn't cheap.

Ford is hardly the only motor vehicle manufacturer to offer dash cams. In fact they are somewhat late to the table. Other car and truck manufacturers have been offering both aftermarket add-ons (like Thinkware) as well as integrated system cameras similar to Tesla for what is in some cases 5 for or 6 years now. These manufacturers/brands include BWM, Audi, Cadillac, GMC, Mercedes, Toyota and others.

Ford is hardly the only motor vehicle manufacturer to offer dash cams. In fact they are somewhat late to the table. Other car and truck manufacturers have been offering both aftermarket add-ons (like Thinkware) as well as integrated system cameras similar to Tesla for what is in some cases 5 for or 6 years now. These manufacturers/brands include BWM, Audi, Cadillac, GMC, Mercedes, Toyota and others.

True, but it appears Ford is offering a 3 channel factory setup powered by the Thinkware F200. A Front + Rear and then an interior cabin camera. Tesla lacks interior camera (I believe), but does offer 360 degree vehicle camera views.

So other manufacturers offering "cameras" is pretty apples to oranges compared to Ford's new factory install offering.

1. Toyota is a front facing camera only.

https://www.toyota.com/owners/dashcam#to-dashcam-container

2. Audi is a front only dashcam

3. GM / Cadillac appear to offer a Front + Rear aftermarket setup

4. BMW offers a quasi camera setup

Automatic recording

From the moment you enable camera recording, the BMW Drive Recorder will film unstoppably. However, it is only after an accident gets detected by the crash sensors that the footage is saved. The maximum length of recordings takes only up to 40 seconds – 20 before the accident happens and 20 after – which are the most relevant developments of the event. Taking such video later to court may help with accident reconstruction, and clarifying the cause or who’s guilty.

5. Mercedes offers a Front + Rear

Last edited:
Well, so what? Who cares whether Ford has three channels or whatever? You presented this thread as "Ford Joins Tesla by Adding Dashcams" implying they are the first one to do so, and all I've done here is point out that other manufacturers have "joined Tesla" quite a long time ago, so this is a pointless argument. As we all know, the whole field of dash cam technologies and capabilities and other tech built directly into automobiles is ever changing and fast evolving. No doubt we will be seeing many new camera options including multichannel appearing in cars and trucks sooner than later.

Speaking of channels, it's interesting that you ignore (or missed) the fact that Cadillac has been offering full 360º surround coverage quite similar to Tesla. The camera you linked for Cadillac is merely a Thinkware after market option, not their system camera. Apparently you didn't read the article I linked.

Apparently, you also missed the facts on BMW as well. The BMW Advanced Car Eye camera you linked to is for pre 2019 vehicles. BWM now has a 4 camera integrated 360º system available. The BMW Drive Recorder is a 4 channel surround view camera system that works with an app on your iDrive screen where scenes and the recordings are displayed. The built-in recorder was introduced in July 2019 on the 8 Series G15, and since then it became available for all 2019+ BMWs featuring iDrive 7.0, the BMW ConnectedDrive package and surround view cameras from the optional package Parking Assistant Plus. Apparently, even though it is a factory option it is becoming available as a retrofit on post 2019 BMWs.

BMW Drive Recorder

bwm.jpg

Cadillac

cadilliac.jpg

Last edited:
Ford join XX car brands in making dashcams with their name slapped on a available option.

Ford join XX car brands in making dashcams with their name slapped on a available option.

Yeah, I believe integrated system cameras will be the wave of the future in cars and trucks instead of branded aftermarket accessories. Who knows, maybe it will be partially branded though. Perhaps we will see integrated, branded dash camera systems much like we see integrated branded audio systems in cars now. The way Bose audio systems are featured in many automobile brands, we could eventually see branded dash camera systems from companies like Sony.

Well, so what? Who cares whether Ford has three channels or whatever? You presented this thread as "Ford Joins Tesla by Adding Dashcams" implying they are the first one to do so, and all I've done here is point out that other manufacturers have "joined Tesla" quite a long time ago, so this is a pointless argument. As we all know, the whole field of dash cam technologies and capabilities and other tech built directly into automobiles is ever changing and fast evolving. No doubt we will be seeing many new camera options including multichannel appearing in cars and trucks sooner than later.

You implied by putting words in my mouth. Never once did I state that Ford was unique in offering a dash camera. Please paste to me where I stated Ford and Tesla were the sole players in the market? That's right, I didn't.

1. Ford is unique in offering a 3 Channel Aftermarket Factory Install
2. Tesla Offers 360 cameras that can record outside of normal driving or an impact.

But you of course, in a poor attempt to look more informed than others can't be bothered to read your own links. See below. You're going to enjoy this one!

Speaking of channels, it's interesting that you ignore (or missed) the fact that Cadillac has been offering full 360º surround coverage quite similar to Tesla. The camera you linked for Cadillac is merely a Thinkware after market option, not their system camera. Apparently you didn't read the article I linked.

The system isn't exactly on par with aftermarket dash cams, but it does nail many of the basics. The Surround Vision Recorder will record either a front or a rear view while driving, not both, though the driver can change the view on the fly. The driver also has to enable the system, or select the system to operate by default upon start-up

BMW Drive Recorder: Apparently, you also missed the facts on BMW as well. The BMW Advanced Car Eye camera you linked to is for pre 2019 vehicles. BWM now has a 4 camera integrated 360º system available. The BMW Drive Recorder is a 4 channel surround view camera system that works with an app on your iDrive screen where scenes and the recordings are displayed. The built-in recorder was introduced in July 2019 on the 8 Series G15, and since then it became available for all 2019+ BMWs featuring iDrive 7.0, the BMW ConnectedDrive package and surround view cameras from the optional package Parking Assistant Plus. Apparently, even though it is a factory option it is becoming available as a retrofit on post 2019 BMWs.

Actually I can read the link you posted, which was in fact, the same source I referenced. Now the part you're going to enjoy.

From the moment you enable camera recording, the BMW Drive Recorder will film unstoppably. However, it is only after an accident gets detected by the crash sensors that the footage is saved. The maximum length of recordings takes only up to 40 seconds – 20 before the accident happens and 20 after – which are the most relevant developments of the event. Taking such video later to court may help with accident reconstruction, and clarifying the cause or who’s guilty.

More like a blackbox than a recorder. But if you took 30 seconds to read your own link, you'd have understood the difference. ;)

Last edited:
These apparently gratuitous arguments and tempest-in-a-tea-pot contentious posts of yours over literally nothing worth arguing about are increasingly bizarre, but that's what we've all come to expect from you time and time again. I think it's what you come here looking for actually. And these arbitrary comparisons between these camera systems are meaningless really. So Ford is selling an aftermarket accessory dash cam with a third interior facing camera ? Wow! That's the one to beat, huh?

Again, what you said here was , ""Ford Joins Tesla by Adding Dashcams". The fact is that Ford didn't "join" anyone by offering a third party accessory dash cam from Thinkware. What Tesla does with their built in suite of cameras and fully integrated console information and data system is in another league entirely. And what BWM and Cadillac are doing with multiple built-in integrated cameras tied to their onboard app controlled information systems are far closer to "joining" Tesla than Ford selling you an accessory camera stuck to your windshield regardless of how they are configured to perform.

I dont really see the cameras on Tesla cars as dashcams, it is cameras for other things that granted can also act as a dashcam.
So to me something completely different than a other car brand that offer the option of putting a camera in your car,,,,, at least until dashcams can plug into some port and then take over driving your car, and thats probably never going to happen.
Even if in the back to the future movie you can get hover conversion kits to your old car, so it too can fly. I think it is just another of those wild stabs at the future film makers get wrong.

The cameras in the Cadillac system have similarities to Tesla in that as dash cams they are merely part of a more sophisticated information system. They call it "Surround Vision" so it is kind of like a back up camera on steroids and it monitors your proximity to other vehicles using integrated radar, has a front view with guidelines and then also acts as a security system. It also gives you a real time animated bird's eye view of your car. One mode records video as you drive, using just the front and rear cameras. The second mode is more of a security system: it activates the whole surround-view system whenever the car has been "disturbed" and the security system is activated.

So, it's not like we are all familair with as a "dash cam" but it has interesting potential as this technology becomes more commonplace.

These apparently gratuitous arguments and tempest-in-a-tea-pot contentious posts of yours over literally nothing worth arguing about are increasingly bizarre, but that's what we've all come to expect from you time and time again. I think it's what you come here looking for actually. And these arbitrary comparisons between these camera systems are meaningless really. So Ford is selling an aftermarket accessory dash cam with a third interior facing camera ? Wow! That's the one to beat, huh?

Again, what you said here was , ""Ford Joins Tesla by Adding Dashcams". The fact is that Ford didn't "join" anyone by offering a third party accessory dash cam from Thinkware. What Tesla does with their built in suite of cameras and fully integrated console information and data system is in another league entirely. And what BWM and Cadillac are doing with multiple built-in integrated cameras tied to their onboard app controlled information systems are far closer to "joining" Tesla than Ford selling you an accessory camera stuck to your windshield regardless of how they are configured to perform.

Looking to try and instigate something so you can feel better about yourself and run to the Moderators? Sorry, you are cranky about being called out for sourcing material from links you didn't bother to read. But we're not going down that rabbit hole.

1. Ford is offering a FACTORY INSTALLED dash camera. Yes, it's a thinkware F200, but it is a factory option.

2. None of the other manufacturers come close to offering what Tesla does. From your own source links (BMW's) 360 system records in real time, saving in the event of an accident ONLY. - NOT SIMILAR OR EVEN CLOSE to Tesla. More like a black box.

3. Cadillac - Only allows Front OR Rear Recording - Not even close.

The closest competitor is Ford's entrance into the dashcam market with a Front + Rear + Cabin aftermarket F200 as a factory isntalled. Sure it isn't as thorough as a Tesla, but Tesla also doesn't have a cabin camera.

Again, I never claimed Ford Produced, developed, or manufactured the camera. Your attempt at putting words in my mouth again. What doesn't change is limited capacity of the systems offered by Cadillac (Front OR Rear), BMW (Black Box that saves 40 Seconds), Toyota (Front Facing), Audi (Front Facing), etc. Those systems are no substitute for an aftermarket option in their limited capacity usage.

Confirmed by YOUR OWN LINKS you didn't bother to read.:cool:

Last edited:
The cameras in the Cadillac system have similarities to Tesla in that as dash cams they are merely part of a more sophisticated information system. They call it "Surround Vision" so it is kind of like a back up camera on steroids and it monitors your proximity to other vehicles using integrated radar, has a front view with guidelines and then also acts as a security system. It also gives you a real time animated bird's eye view of your car. One mode records video as you drive, using just the front and rear cameras. The second mode is more of a security system: it activates the whole surround-view system whenever the car has been "disturbed" and the security system is activated.

So, it's not like we are all familair with as a "dash cam" but it has interesting potential as this technology becomes more commonplace.

I believe this is best explained by the song Row Row Row Your boat, backpeddling down the stream. You claimed Tesla's and Cadillac's system were QUITE SIMILAR. Actually, the two are in a completely different league. With Cadillac Recording Front or Rear ONLY. Not even in the same ball park as Tesla's 360 Recording System that lets you save Videos Driving, Parked, or at any time.

Now you're attempting to explain the features of Cadillac's System in an effort to save face. Irrelevant. Has nothing to do with the Dashcam Camera Topic. Hint: My topic didn't Say: What Features do a Manufacturer's Infotainment and Security Systems Offer.

Your reply is a smoke and mirrors attempt to divert the topic away from what you stated below. - Which is categorically wrong.

It's interesting that you ignore (or missed) the fact that Cadillac has been offering full 360º surround coverage quite similar to Tesla.

Last edited:
Always good to see another argument car manufacturer offer dashcams :rolleyes:

Phil

Well the point of my thread, notwithstanding @Dashmellow's attempt to derail things, is that manufacturers are increasingly seeing the benefit in offering onboard recording systems. With Ford opting for a 3 channel aftermarket solution.

Good that the consumers are having some options. Some choices with better merit than others.

Dashcams cut down on fraud, can act as an eyewitness to accidents not involving one's self, capture accidents involving yourself and another, and also capture criminal activity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back