Format of GPS data?

Maybe GPSbabel needs to look at what's happening in the market, majority of car cameras use these same formats, seems that program has been all about other devices so perhaps not something they've looked at as yet, not even sure their program is useful for anything to do with car cameras though so there might not be any reason for them to look, don't know their program and what other uses it might have

If you're trying to make a player I'm not sure this is the most efficient way to go about it, maybe something else you have in mind though
That this data came from a car camera is irrelevent, the data is a GPS track. The form factor of the device that captures a GPS track is irrelevent to the data itself.

Just because the "market" is doing something, it does not make it the right thing to do.
There are two standard GPS file formats supported by nearly every GPS track viewing tool in existance GPL and KML.
Tools that save GPS tracks should pick one of them to make use of their files easy.

I'm not trying to make a player, I am only trying to get these files into a format I can use on Linux. So far, I have found no programs on linux that support this file format. The non-standard file format that was created for this camera is making accessing this data extreemely difficult.

well this non standard format is the same non standard format that all the cameras are using, they have their own playback software so not really an issue what others may be doing on different device types

Regsitrator Viewer can take the data and extract and convert to a number of other formats so I'm sure it possible to deal with

log converter.jpg

Registrator Viewer is a Windows program, and does not work on Linux.

yes aware of that, there's a Mac version also, Linux users are still without a solution, just pointing out that converters have been done already for these non standard standards that everyone uses so it's obviously possible to do what you need, just not on your platform of choice

I believe this may be because you're specifying the direction field twice. LON_DDMMDIR expects data to be in the format 01232.745W, but is only getting the numerical portion according to your sample. It may be ignoring your LON_DIR input because of that. I think you should try LON_NMEA instead. Same probably applies to the IFIELD LAT_DDMMDIR field, but the default direction happens to be correct, so it doesn't think you're in South Africa or Australia.

KuoH

IFIELD LAT_DDMMDIR, "%f", "%09.4f"
IFIELD LAT_DIR, "", "%s"
IFIELD LON_DDMMDIR, "%f", "%010.4f"
IFIELD LON_DIR, "", "%s"
This sort of works, but it puts my track in China instead of California, and does not keep the acceleration data. For some reason, the IFIELD LON_DIR line is not working.

Are you against processing the data before using it in a Linux program? It should not be difficult to write a perl script to massage the data into the right format. If I get a chance, I'll try it myself.

I believe this may be because you're specifying the direction field twice. LON_DDMMDIR expects data to be in the format 01232.745W, but is only getting the numerical portion according to your sample. It may be ignoring your LON_DIR input because of that. I think you should try LON_NMEA instead. Same probably applies to the IFIELD LAT_DDMMDIR field, but the default direction happens to be correct, so it doesn't think you're in South Africa or Australia.

KuoH
According to the documentation, LON_NEMA would expect something like "-12156.9347". I tried it anyway, and it worked just as badly as using LON_DDMMDIR, giving me a positive longitude.

I'm not really sure how LON_DIR and LAT_DIR are intended to be used since all of the listed formats include the sign (in the form of '+' & '-', or 'N', 'S', 'E', & 'W'.

I've tried twice on the GPSbabel mailing list to get an answer, but got no response.

Are you against processing the data before using it in a Linux program? It should not be difficult to write a perl script to massage the data into the right format. If I get a chance, I'll try it myself.

GPSbabel IS a tool to process data before using it. It is a tool specifically for tranlating any GPS file format to any other GPS file format. The problem is that the programmer of the firmware of this camera was not content to use one of the 100 or so existing GPS file formats, and just HAD to invent his own format. In doing so he put a comma between the latitude and the letter indicating the direction, something that the programmers of GPSbabel did not anticipate, so my attempts to use GPSbabels format definitions to interpret this file fail.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel and writing a script from scatch, perhaps you could look at the source code for GPSbabel, and tweek it slightly so it can be made to work.
You can get the source code here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

GPSbabel IS a tool to process data before using it. It is a tool specifically for tranlating any GPS file format to any other GPS file format. The problem is that the programmer of the firmware of this camera was not content to use one of the 100 or so existing GPS file formats, and just HAD to invent his own format. In doing so he put a comma between the latitude and the letter indicating the direction, something that the programmers of GPSbabel did not anticipate, so my attempts to use GPSbabels format definitions to interpret this file fail.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel and writing a script from scatch, perhaps you could look at the source code for GPSbabel, and tweek it slightly so it can be made to work.
You can get the source code here: http://www.gpsbabel.org/

If it's just that you need to remove the comma between the lat/long and the direction, then it's a one-liner:

awk -F"," '{print $1 "," $2 "," $3 "," $4 $5 "," $6 $7 "," $8 "," $9 "," $10 "," $11}' input.csv > output.csv

If it's just that you need to remove the comma between the lat/long and the direction, then it's a one-liner:

awk -F"," '{print $1 "," $2 "," $3 "," $4 $5 "," $6 $7 "," $8 "," $9 "," $10 "," $11}' input.csv > output.csv

Great, so I would have to run a translation program on the data before I can run another translation program on the data before I can use it.

Great, so I would have to run a translation program on the data before I can run another translation program on the data before I can use it.

Just trying to help.

Knots? that is used by ships & aircraft. This is a device used in cars!
I really wish people would follow standards that already exist. If you look at GPSbabel, it supports more than 100 different GPS files formats. We only need one! None of the variants offer any advantage over GPX, and it is open, and more important, free.

Yes, the use of knot is very standard in navigation because:
Knot = 1 nautical mile/hr.
1 Nautical mile = 1 minute of angle at the equator at sea level.

Yes, the use of knot is very standard in navigation because:
Knot = 1 nautical mile/hr.
1 Nautical mile = 1 minute of angle at the equator at sea level.
It is actually defined to be 1852 meters these days, which is approximately 1 minute of angle of latidude. 1 meter originally being based on 90 degrees of angle of latitude / 10 million.

Nautic_mile_definition_v2.png

Not to beat this subject to death:
.. then the meter bar kept in Paris. Now defined as some multiple of wave length of atomic vibration of some exotic material, so every country can reproduce it.
As far as Statue Mile (mph) used here in the US, I haven't a clue.
Probably also some odd multiple of waist line of an English king.
May be Nigel can shed some lights on the origin statue mile.

A metric transplant.

Not to beat this subject to death:
.. then the meter bar kept in Paris. Now defined as some multiple of wave length of atomic vibration of some exotic material, so every country can reproduce it.
You are out of date, since 1983 the meter has been defined as "The length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second".

As far as Statue Mile (mph) used here in the US, I haven't a clue.
Probably also some odd multiple of waist line of an English king.
May be Nigel can shed some lights on the origin statue mile.
The US statue mile is too complicated, from Wikipedia:

" In the United States, statute mile normally refers to the survey mile,[2] about 3.2 mm (1⁄8 inch) longer than the international mile (the international mile is exactly 0.0002% less than the U.S. survey mile)."

I'm not sure if USA mph is actually the same as UK mph?

I think our current mile was actually down to Queen Elizabeth I (England and Ireland) rather than an "English King".

IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%14.14s" #meters per second Acceleration to the left
IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%14.14s" #meters per second Acceleration downwards
IFIELD IGNORE, "", "%14.14s" #meters per second Acceleration backwards
My readings in stand still are like -02.45,-34.30,-02.45 so probably the unit of this is not meters per second but inches per second^2 ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Mini 0803 1
P Mini 0803 10
Back