• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bruno G.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Lukas 9350
As I am to purchase my first dash cam...is it really necessary to have a rear facing cam?

Last edited:
As I am to purchase my first dash cam...is it really necessary to have a rear facing camera? Or is it just a nice feature to have.

Having rear dahscam rises chances to record all rear-action and believe me, there are a lot of action happening in the rear which may be helpful in the future insurance-cases if you have a footage.

Sometimes a rear dash cam can be as important or more important than the front camera. For example, I was nearly side-swiped by another vehicle going around a curve. The front camera lost the oncoming car's license plate number to motion blur but the rear facing camera captured it. (along with other important details)

Well, niko, like all wish lists...good video, discreet, reliable, capacitor...money @$400 CAD.

Next there are four choices in which direction to go with making a decisions within your budget:

1. two singe dashcameras without parking mode ( motion and g-sensor ) recordings = there are quite few good reliable choices.
2. two single dashcams with parking mode ( motion and g-sensor ) recordings = only handful dashcams to chose from.
3. one 2 channel system ( 1080p + 720p ) with parking mode ( motion and g-sensor ) recordings = there are quite few good reliable choices.
4. one 2 channel system ( 1080p + 1080p ) with parking mode ( motion and g-sensor ) recordings = at the moment NON fully reliable systems exist, they all have some "bugs".

You got one? I've been anxiously waiting to hear some reports on the new C2.
I do have a new Mobius with the C2 lens. The clarity of the video is simply outstanding. Even around the edges it does not have any distortion that I have been able to see. Night time video is very clear, but it seems that car lights, street lights etc seem to have a bit glow about them. All in all a great little cam.

Thanks Gabacho! Probably best that we continue talking about this over in the Mobius thread, if someone hasn't started a discussion on it already. I guess the heat issue will be the big question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Niko, the #4 option seems best...only one wiring job to do and less chance of bug with one sustem. Which do you recommend? Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

The #4 is most difficult, because there are no 2ch 1080p with parking mode that would be up to latest high standards of video quality and stealth design at same time.
Best video quality is on Panorama X2 ( both channels 1080p 30Fps with 15Mbps bit-rate ), but it has a fussy firmware which need a special attention and know how how to manage it. Firmware to fix bugs is still under development. There is also a Blackvue 750, but I dont have personal experience with it and can relay only on feedback from others ( which is obvious if you read thread ).
The last option for you might be a Thinkware F750. I have experience with earlier model and must say it is one of best built dashcams brands, high-end feeling and quite stable performance, the only downside with this model is that each channel records only 10Mbps which is not the best bit-rate for Ambarella A7 processor. Not sure if Thinkware has plans to rise bit-rate, because total combined safe bit-rate for stable long term performance of dashcam is 20Mbps on A7 chipset.

As it is your first dashcam, I would suggest to start with something simple, cheap but at the same time reliable. You may take a look at Blacksys CF-100.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/blacksys-cammsys.86/

It is also Korean high-quality built dashcams system ( 1080p + 720p ) with quite good video for it's specs ( sale price is around 100 usd / normal price was around 200usd ), has parking mode ( need optional battery discharge prevention device, around 30 usd ).

Or you may also have a look at Street Guardian SGZC12RC. It's a 1 channel remote lens with pre-buffer recording which is useful for parking motion detection, capacitors. You need to buy two of those plus BDP device. Of course it will be over your budget, but still worth to read other available options.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/sgzc12rc.162/

Two independent single channel solutions will give you the best image quality and as an added bonus will also give you extra redundancy.

A lot to digest...thanks for the time and effort.

No problem.
What ever model you decide to buy, - buy locally, with local warranty,- before- and aftersales support !

Thanks for the help...I have made (almost) my decision...it will be the Lukas LK 7950WD, os since it is my first, The Street Guardian SG9665GC...pardon if the letters and numbers are wrong. I am leaning towards the Single cam, though, as it will be my first. Thanks again to you and all that helped.
Good luck! It will most likely not be your only camera in the future :)

Thanks for the help...I have made (almost) my decision...it will be the Lukas LK 7950WD, os since it is my first, The Street Guardian SG9665GC...pardon if the letters and numbers are wrong. I am leaning towards the Single cam, though, as it will be my first. Thanks again to you and all that helped.
Good Morning Bruno,

Sorry I am rather late to the party. Took two days off for the long weekend.. :rolleyes:
Just responded to your other thread.
Which ever camera you buy, you can always be sure. With the support of this community, you made a solid purchase :D
Glad to see you are quickly becoming part of the DCT community!
Welcome again.

A few months ago we had it listed on our site for 429 $CAD, but had zero interest in it.
So we don't regularly stock it. But of course we can special order you one.
At the very most it would take 2 weeks. However likly only 1 week.

Was there not a code for free shipping wirth $20 posted on your site...I have somewhere...several letters all in caps? Or do I have your site mixed up with another...which is possible.
Haha well currently we have a summer Lukas sale, that is including free fedex ground shipping, along with 40GB 9750 and 7950 packages.
We use to offer free express shipping with every order over $20, but the costs were to high and it didn't drive sales the way I had hoped..

I have continued to offer the free purolator express shipping to several members of the DCT community. I would be happy to offer this to you too :D
However I would not be able to offer it on the lk-9350 because I will have to pay extra to special order just the one of them.

If you did want one of the lk7950's or 9750's I could also throw in a free CPL filters for you.

Back