Front & Rear | Discreet for permanent fitting | Can cope with heat

chatmandu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to the forums and wish I'd found this site before buying my first dash cam!

I recently bought a Nextbase 622GW on eBay.
  • Front camera.
  • Rear camera.
  • 32GB MicroSD card.
  • 12V adaptor.
  • Hardwire Kit.
  • 2x Front mounts (sucker pad and direct window attachment).
I'm having a few problems with it:
  • Battery seems to be completely blown and takes less than a minute to go from 'full charge' to dead.
  • I can't get the mount to stick to the window
    • I first tried some black 3M pads, but the adhesive layer separated from the pad layer - I think this was heat related.
    • I then tried Unibond No More Nails which are supposed to be rated for 80C, but even they seem to be struggling in the current UK heat.
  • It really isn't very discreet and looks like an expensive digital camera. I am not comfortable leaving it on display in the car.
I think I might send it back for a refund due to the battery issues.

I want the following:
  • Front and rear cameras that can cope with all light conditions.
  • Polarising lens to cope with dashboard glare - a major issue for my car.
  • Capable of dealing with fast moving objects without blur or compression artefacts.
  • Car registration plates easily readable.
  • Discreet - e.g. looks like it could have been factory fitted.
  • 12V adaptor because my car's fuse box is in the engine bay.
  • Cables at least as long as those provided by Nextbase.
  • No overheating or expanding battery issues. My car is dark grey and the interior gets extremely hot when left all day in the sun.
  • Solid reliable fitting method that isn't going to fail.
Am I asking too much? Are there any models on the market that might be suitable?

With regards to stealth, do people ever scrape off an area of the 'black dots' to have the camera lens peek through?

image_2022-08-14_143232584.png

Thanks,

I'm gravitating towards a Viofo front and rear camera.

The A129 Pro Duo is listed as the recommended 'Premium 4K Dual Camera', but there appear to be a newer model with a lower resolution - A229.

Is 1440p @ 60fps preferable to 4k @ 30fps? Which camera is better for reading number plates? Is low light performance better on the A229?

Thanks,

Back