Fuse Tap question

Ethical

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All,

My 2022 Rav4 Hybrid XSE has 2 empty fuses that I want to use to hardwire my blackvue dash. My question is since these fuse slots are empty, when I use the fuse taps, do I only need to put in the fuse in the most top slot of the fuse tap or do I need to also put a fuse on the bottom as well. If I were to piggyback off an existing fuse, I know the existing fuse would go on the bottom row of the fuse tap and the fuse for the dash is at the top. I've read that the fuse for the dash should be usually 3A-10A and that the fuse size should always be higher than the piggybacked fuse that sits on the bottom of the fuse tap?

I went ahead and checked those 2 empty fuses and was able to confirm that there is one fuse that is constant and the other being hot only when the car is on.
1655604524112.png

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you again for reading!

since these fuse slots are empty, when I use the fuse taps, do I only need to put in the fuse in the most top slot of the fuse tap
Yes you are correct for this specific scenario.

A tip for you is to check that the fuse tap is oriented correctly before adding the extra fuse. Plug in the fuse tap WITHOUT the extra fuse and check that there is NO voltage at the wire hanging off the fuse tap. That's how you know you have the correct orientation. Obviously for the "On with Ignition" socket, do the check with the engine running.

the fuse size should always be higher than the piggybacked fuse
No. The size of the fuse depends on the device/circuit you are connecting.
For the 900x-plus I suggest:
- 3A or 5A for the "Always On", whichever you can get your hands on really.
- 1A for "On with Ignition".

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L DR900X Plus Series 6
Jimbo DR900X Plus Series 2
kmd1970 DR900X Plus Series 1
Back