Fuzzy/Noisy image?

I just got mine over the weekend and have the same issue. Can't read most license plates while either car is moving. In the US the plate numbers are less bold and closer together so it exacerbates the issue.

To be fair I think most dashcams have similar quality, if not worse. I've looked at videos from very expensive dashcams like the Blackvue series and they're equally noisy and compressed. Seems strange to me that a simple camera going for such a high price is far behind a budget smartphone in terms of image quality. And remember too that the smartphone has loads of other functions. My Xiaomi phone which I purchased at $169 a year ago produces vastly better quality videos compared to Blackvues that cost $700+ where I live.

Probably true, this is just my first dedicated dash cam so I can't compare without downloading raw samples. I do know that my Yi Action cam and Gitup Gitpro 2 produce vastly better video. They do have much higher bit rates so it is probably down to crappy compression. It would be nice to have the option to improve bitrate.

I don't understand why dashcams always record at such low bitrates. Why not 40mbps or higher? I'm sure the newer microSD cards can support that with no problems.

I don't understand why dashcams always record at such low bitrates. Why not 40mbps or higher? I'm sure the newer microSD cards can support that with no problems.

easier said than done, heat, stability, space, lots of reasons higher bitrates aren't used, action cameras are typically only used for very short periods and can get away with bitrates that wouldn't be practical for extended periods of operation for a dashcam, particularly in the car environment

Does it take more processing power to record at higher bitrates? My understanding is more processing power is needed to compress and encode a smaller video file so shouldn't higher bitrates be less taxing on the processor?

Does it take more processing power to record at higher bitrates? My understanding is more processing power is needed to compress and encode a smaller video file so shouldn't higher bitrates be less taxing on the processor?

higher bitrates have more encoding work to do to not lose detail

Oh I see. What would happen if I use a hex-editor to modify the firmware to record at a higher bitrate?

Oh I see. What would happen if I use a hex-editor to modify the firmware to record at a higher bitrate?
I did try, not with this model, not with novateck chipset. It's super hard. :(
Mod firmware need more than luck with hex editor.

Same here, cant even read number plates, even during the day. I thought I was the one having this issue..

Same issue, the Yi dash cam is as budget as you can get. It has pretty good night video though but i've never been able to see license plates unless I try really hard to squint amd guess the number. It will definitely record your journey in all of its fuzzy out of focus glory. I'm gonna keep using mine.

You people are all okay with this horrid quality??? I've just used my YiDash for the first time today and it's utterly atrocious! Noise, artifacts and over-sharpening are absolutely rampant. Side by side with my Yi Action camera that I have been using successfully for the last year, 8 hours straight at a time, throughout an Aussie 45°C+ summer; this is incredibly poor for a device supposedly DEDICATED to the cause. Not only does the YiAction provide excellent image, but it makes smaller files, all-the-while giving me a low-res version for archival concurrent to the recording itself.

I drove for 7 hours today. The YiDash came back with 5.7gb free left on a 64gb card, and the YiAction came back with 20.1gb free left on a 64gb card, which includes low-res versions of all the high-res versions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzIyFKPqB1yHZ3p0SFR5Z2M4UVU

^^^
YiAction
Dimensions
1,920 x 1,090
Size
2 MB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzIyFKPqB1yHLThOSS1rX1dWdEk

^^^
YiDash
Dimensions
2,304 x 1,314
Size
4 MB

Even the file size of a screen grab is twice as large and half as good.

I will not be keeping this junk if this can't be rectified...

nah... I've just watched a few videos on youtube and they are far and away better quality than the OP and my camera's are doing. I will upload a raw on my deathly slow australian internet for your review.

Edit: Link:
I'm sure the OP and I are having the same issue, but the videos I see of others' footage is much, much better than this.

EDIT EDIT. God damn, the youtube upload looks clean, as if it's knocked all the sharpening off. Check out the stills; this is what I'm talking about
0BzIyFKPqB1yHZGg2TjJFNnp5N0k=w1822-h932-k-iv1

Last edited:
for improve image quality try:
1. downgrade from 1.0 version to 0.08.
2. change 60 fps video to 30 fps
--------------------------------
30 fps fullhd -15Mbit = 64KB - one frame size (normal quality)
60 fps fullhd -20Mbit = 42KB - one frame size (very poor quality)
maybe in version 1.0 speed rate = 25Mbit, then one frame size = 53KB (little bit better)
in any case 30fps fullhd or 30fps 2.3k will be better than 60 fps
30 fps 2.3k -20Mbit = 85KB - one frame size (larger frame)

Last edited:
Back