G1W, Auto Power on Problem

lebigmac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I purchased a G1W a few weeks ago and had been working perfectly until a couple of days ago.

Problem 1, upon startup i was getting a screen saying MASS Storage, if i took out the usb and put it back in this would dissapear and it would start recording no problem.

problem 2. Start the car, unit powers up and immediatly powwrs off .... i have to manually turn the unit back on and press record. same story when i stop the car i have to maually stop the recording and turn off the unit

any ideas?

Thanks Mac

Last edited:
Hi, I just installed my own G1W today so certainly am not the expert you might be looking to hear from.

But I did run across an issue with the plug part of the G1W that caused some flakiness. The problems don't appear to be of the same ilk as yours, but enough so that, if I were you, I'd eliminate possible connection problems as a first step.

Mine was loose fitting and the reason for my problems. Using a pair of thin needlenose I barely perceptibly widened the short distance top to bottom of the plug (so it bowed a bit) but still fit the receptor on the G1W. More snug now and no more problem.

Hi, I just installed my own G1W today so certainly am not the expert you might be looking to hear from.

But I did run across an issue with the plug part of the G1W that caused some flakiness. The problems don't appear to be of the same ilk as yours, but enough so that, if I were you, I'd eliminate possible connection problems as a first step.

Mine was loose fitting and the reason for my problems. Using a pair of thin needlenose I barely perceptibly widened the short distance top to bottom of the plug (so it bowed a bit) but still fit the receptor on the G1W. More snug now and no more problem.

Thanks, the fitting seems fine and ive tried 2 different leads, weird i cant find any info about this problem anywhere !

Hi, I purchased a G1W a few weeks ago and had been working perfectly until a couple of days ago.

Problem 1, upon startup i was getting a screen saying MASS Storage, if i took out the usb and put it back in this would dissapear and it would start recording no problem.

problem 2. Start the car, unit powers up and immediatly powwrs off .... i have to manually turn the unit back on and press record. same story when i stop the car i have to maually stop the recording and turn off the unit

any ideas?

Thanks Mac

One of reasons may from the SD card, you could test by a new SD card or formatting your current SD card, then to see what will happen.

Nope the card is fine, first thing I tried.

I think it's a battery problem. The while unit seems to have a mind of its own.

I've contacted the seller on eBay, will hopefully get a replacement

Problem 2 sounds like something I've seen discussed before. The unit receives power when you turn the key to the acc/on position so it powers up as it should. The problem is, the 12V socket stops providing power when you start to crank the engine so the camera shuts down. The reason it doesn't turn on again after the engine is running is thought to be a firmware glitch. A few different ways of starting the car have been suggested to work around the issue but the way I see it, that's not good enough. If you have to think about it and take special steps then you really don't have the auto-start function at all. I don't have a G1W, I'm just relaying what I've read.

EDITED: I thought you had a G1WH. I'm not sure which models have the problem I described.

Not sure that's the problem either, was working fine until yesterday and it does the same when I plug it into a computer . Gonna wait till the supplier gets back to me and hopefully get a replacement.

Back