G1W-H versus G90 A7?

veato

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I finally tested out the G1Ws I bought from Amazon and found the video to be MJPEG encoded AVI and not the advertised MOV format. Looking around the Internet suggests this is down to the use of an inferior chipset in the device. Given the advert stated "MOV" and "NT96650" I shall be claiming a refund.

In the meantime does anyone know a reliable source of G1Ws for a UK buyer or can suggest an alternative?

Foxoffer sell the G90 Ambarella A7LA30 for not that much more than a genuine G1W-H and the video examples look excellent. Has anyone had experience of them and is it worth a few more pounds/dollars over the G1W-H?

I brought the G90 up here:

A7 with 4 Megapixel OV4689 sensor

If @billknow would like to offer a discount I'll buy one and do a review as in theory it should beat Novatek cameras at night with the sensor it has - in practice though who knows :) The higher end A7LA70D cameras (the G90 is the A7LA30D) offer lots more features though - higher resolution, higher possible frame rate, and also HDR night time footage. I'm yet to see proper HDR night time footage though so it could all be marketing blurb at this state.

It does seem very cheap indeed though - priced the same as things like the GT680W which are a known quantity.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally tested out the G1Ws I bought from Amazon and found the video to be MJPEG encoded AVI and not the advertised MOV format. Looking around the Internet suggests this is down to the use of an inferior chipset in the device. Given the advert stated "MOV" and "NT96650" I shall be claiming a refund.

In the meantime does anyone know a reliable source of G1Ws for a UK buyer or can suggest an alternative?
I followed the link in Techmoan's review & got my G1W from ebay (china?) & it's a good one, records in MOV.

I'm also looking at the G90 it's a new 2014 model and it's fairly cheap from Aliexpress; does anyone have any thoughts on this one? Also any recommendations from sellers on Aliexpress? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back