G1W mounting problems...

MnAviator

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello folks!

Just received (4 days ago!) my new G1W in a blue box. Bought from estore on eBay. Not a bad deal for 50 bucks.

The device itself works great, but I am having problems mounting the darn thing. The ideal spot on the windshield has the "raised dots" on it and the suction cup will not stick to this. I tried other things as listed on the internet - sticky tape, electrical tape - but nothing seems to be working.

The suction cup mount works great, but then the camera is too low and visible to all and sundry.

Any thought on how to mount this camera?

What about a circle of clear sticky backed plastic stuck to the dots that's larger than the suction cup. Then you mount on that?

Get a 3M sticky mount. I've had one mounted in the "black dots" area since last June.

It is best to contact the seller first to ask before buying something else. Many of these cameras have mounts that look exactly the same in photos on the internet but are not the same. For example, when I ordered a GT680W the mount looked like it would be the same as the GT300W but it is a whole different animal (much smaller) and isn't in any way interchangeable.

Many of these cameras have mounts that look exactly the same in photos on the internet but are not the same.
This is what i was worried about. The Vico 3M mounts do not fit the G1W, and while i would like to go 3M for a smaller install footprint I would not want to buy the wrong mount.

I had the exact problem as you; I used strong (black) two sided tape to stick the cover of an empty CD case on the spot (yes, black bubbles) where I wanted suction cup to mount.
I've had it on about a week & it seems to work fine.

Interestingly, my G1W mounts on the dimpled screen without any problems whatsoever, It's been stuck to the same spot on my screen for the past couple of weeks!

At first my g1w suction mount would not hold at all. Cleaned the windshield with alcohol and lint free cloth. Suction cup is clean. I then ran the cup under hot water for about 30 seconds. It worked for about 12 hours and it fell down again. It could be temperature related since its around -10C.

Going to get this https://www.ebay.com/itm/111176402105 . Will have to shave off the tip a little to fit the g1w.

x2 as fri3dbacon is going to do. I have been using that mount with no problems. Did have to shave off a bit all around the mount that slides into the G1W but was easy.

At first my g1w suction mount would not hold at all. Cleaned the windshield with alcohol and lint free cloth. Suction cup is clean. I then ran the cup under hot water for about 30 seconds. It worked for about 12 hours and it fell down again. It could be temperature related since its around -10C.

Going to get this https://www.ebay.com/itm/111176402105 . Will have to shave off the tip a little to fit the g1w.
Quick note - you say temps are -10C but the listing reckons this mount is good to -5C

I've used similar mounts to temps well below -5C. If it's got a real 3M backer it should not be an issue.

Sorry for the delay in posting back, guys. Been awfully busy with work.

I asked the seller on eBay, who is going to send me a 3M type backing for the existing mount. Not sure if that will work, but I've got the eBay link for the other mount.

I'll let you guys know, how it pans out! Oh, and this is MN - we get down to -25 F on a regular basis. So we'll have to see how this all goes.

Thanks!

Got my mount but I had to modify it a little. Shaved off about 5mm on one side and on the other side, I have to break off the tap end because it was hitting the power button on the G1W. Other then that it works great. Sticking on even in -15C weather.

Attachments

• g1wmountoriginal.JPG
    g1wmountoriginal.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 35
  • g1wmount1.jpg
    g1wmount1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: PvT
Back