G1W-S changing color after dark based on more light suddenly being available.

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
With almost no light other than my headlights I unplugged the cam. After plugging it back in it went from white to yellow light on the display and in the video. This change in color lasted for 1 minute or more. When I got to a stop sign another car was coming up the road.

@viofo @OCD Tronic There is a color shift from yellow to white when the other cars headlights shone in front of me.
I had HDR on. What is HDR? Is it the same as WDR? Is that what caused the color shift?

I was pleasantly surprise that skid marks on tar showed up after dark. I thought I would have to shine light directly on the skid marks to see them but that was unnecessary.

The biggest problem I see is the audio recorded is very low. Static is heard more than anything else.

Will future firmware updates fix these problems?

Last edited:

OCD Tronic

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO, GitUp, INNOVV, QVIA, GUARD TRAK + More on Amazon.com
There is a long China holiday this week, so factory might not be able to comment until they return. I don't have enough G1W-S experience to comment on the color shifting but firmware development is on-going with all VIOFO products. I don't see any updated firmware for G1W-S yet on http://support.viofo.com/support/home
Audio might not be as good as the A119/A119S, I'll have to test one myself. (don't have one installed currently)

Paul Shires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Old Shark (front), G1w-s (rear)
There is a long China holiday this week, so factory might not be able to comment until they return. I don't have enough G1W-S experience to comment on the color shifting but firmware development is on-going with all VIOFO products. I don't see any updated firmware for G1W-S yet on http://support.viofo.com/support/home
Audio might not be as good as the A119/A119S, I'll have to test one myself. (don't have one installed currently)
Viofo have told me there are no plans for further firmware upgrades for this cam

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-S, G1W-HC, G1W clone, B1W, K2S, B2W, (ex N2Pro & Mobius)
I'll check mine this weekend to see if it's the same but on casual viewing I haven't noticed any serious shift. Vid quality isn't the greatest with this cam except at night and even then there are better cams but not at the G1W-S's price :) I checked the thread on audio issues but it only related to recording, not qyality, and mine does OK with that.

Even as much as I like this cam for t's cheap night-time performance, it is a budget cam and not a big seller on the market so I don't expect to see much more development with it if any :(

Phil

OP
C

country_hick

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the camera is defective. Can anyone confirm?
I think the audio improved.

This video is ShAkY.
I held up my cell phone with the light in one hand while going down the road.
I was paying more attention to the almost empty road instead of closely watching what I was recording.

To save time the only parts worth looking at are...
At about 25-35 seconds the blinking blue light adds red then it goes back to just blue.
At 1:40 to 1:45 the red came on again.
I had the red blinking light constantly with no recording for at least 1/2 hour earlier that day.
I could upload an hour video showing the same issue but what would the point be?