G1WH not powering up after 5 months

leftuiuc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there a lot of reports of units failing after a short period of time? I ordered 2 units from Banggood in June, and they've both stopped working within a week of each other (they were installed in separate cars, so I don't think it's an electrical problem). One of them still has the LED come on, albeit it's blue now (I remember it being purple before). The other unit's LED doesn't come on at all. Neither one makes it to the splash/startup screen. I've tried powering up with different memory cards and even no memory card.

Any ideas? Or am I just lucky and got 2 duds that coincidentally crapped out at the same time? I did contact Banggood, hoping that they'll repair the units, but I was told that "The warranty date of the dvr about two months."

Or maybe these things just don't like cold weather? I live in the northern US, and the winter hasn't been that bad, but who knows.

Or maybe these things just don't like cold weather? I live in the northern US, and the winter hasn't been that bad, but who knows.

"Approximately 5 owners have indicated the camera gets stuck on the welcome screen when turning on the car. This typically happens in cold weather conditions (under 0°C). After the camera warms up, it usually works fine. Note that the stated operating temperature for this camera is 0°C to 65°C."
- https://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/#Cold_Weather-Stuck_on_Welcome

Some power cords might go bad in freezing temperatures.

"Approximately 5 owners have indicated the camera gets stuck on the welcome screen when turning on the car. This typically happens in cold weather conditions (under 0°C). After the camera warms up, it usually works fine. Note that the stated operating temperature for this camera is 0°C to 65°C."
- https://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/#Cold_Weather-Stuck_on_Welcome...

I have 2 G1W-H cams in 2 different vehicles. We've already had temperatures down to about 15°F (-9°C) with no problems. Since the G1Wx format cams are made by multiple manufacturers I'm sure there can be a significant difference in performance from one to another.

Hmm, yeah, it doesn't power up indoors either using a USB power adapter and different cable. Guess the ones I got from Banggood just can't handle Minnesota temperatures, which until this week, really haven't been too bad.

Hmm, yeah, it doesn't power up indoors either using a USB power adapter and different cable. Guess the ones I got from Banggood just can't handle Minnesota temperatures, which until this week, really haven't been too bad.

What is the warranty?

See what they can do for you here ...

Yep, already tried that. That was the "about two months" I referenced in my original post. Guess I'm out of luck. If I go for this model again, I'll try from a different vendor and hope for units that can maybe withstand the cold a little bit more (and a better warranty). Sucks that they don't have a temperature spec listed on the website, if that's indeed the cause.

Was the camera thawed ?

"The main problem with the G1W is that it doesn’t like the cold. I was planning on leaving it in my car all the time, connected to ignition voltage, so I wouldn’t have to mess with anything – just turn on the car like normal and the camera runs on its own. But the polar vortex caused temperatures to be in single digits or below zero on a few nights. When that happened, the G1W would not wake up. It stayed off during my 45-minute commute, even though I kept trying to turn it on (and it was plugged in). So I took the G1W into work with me, and it worked fine on the way home, since it had several hours to thaw."
- http://www.someblogsite.com/archives/4758

Was the camera thawed ?

Yes, customer service had asked for a video demonstration. From the time the units stopped functioning to when I actually got around to making the video (got busy with pre-holiday house projects), both units had been sitting on my office desk for 13 days -- plenty of time to thaw.

Since I'm still not sure if it's the cold that caused the problem or just crappy units, I'll probably replace these with a different brand. Maybe a Mobius. I appreciate everyone's help.

Back