G1WH was 140 degree now 120 degree wide angle lens

Mike55

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just purchased my second G1WH from SpyTec via Amazon UK (£35.95).
I noticed that the lens looked different from the one I got last November, so checked with SpyTec and was informed that the newer models now ship with a 120 degree wide angle lens. Both G1WH have the same firmware 2015.1028.11

The current firmware can be found at http://support.spytecinc.com/help/article/link/g1w-h as well as manual.

The G1W-H never had a 140 degrees lens. It has always been the same as the G1W: 120º diagonal, probably 90º horizontal. The "140 degree lens" was just the typical Chinese sellers's mumbo-jumbo.
If you say the lens looks different, then there's nothing better than to compare footage from both cameras in the same place to see if there's any difference in the FoV.

Hi
The newer camera has a narrower field of view and the lens looks different.
Will post pictures asap.

Attachments

• 2015 LOWER 2016 UPPER.jpg
    2015 LOWER 2016 UPPER.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2015 G1W-H.jpg
    2015 G1W-H.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2016 G1W-H.jpg
    2016 G1W-H.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2015 G1W-H jpeg.jpg
    2015 G1W-H jpeg.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 2016 G1W-H jpeg.jpg
    2016 G1W-H jpeg.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi
Any ideas as to what the angle of view of the two G1WH lens's are, I assume one will be 120 but the other?

Also as I now have two G1WH's with different fields of view should the wider or narrower one be at the front/rear?

:)

Well, well, well, your '15 camera is the one with the unconventional lens! :eek: Some manufacturer must've decided to put better lenses on their products and you just got lucky, but you'd have to be even luckier to get another one of those. :)
The lens looks very similar to the one on my AT11DA and so does the FoV. The '16 camera has the normal G1W-H FoV, despite the lens being a bit different from mine's.

Nevermind the angle's degrees. What matters is that one is wider than the other. What the experts here on DCT usually recommend is to put the camera with the narrower FoV in the front because it makes for better number plate reading, but you'll lose some of the "action" on the sides. Since the '15 camera's FoV isn't crazy wide, I'd suggest trying it in the front and see how much detail you can get at a distance. If things look too far away and difficult to see, then put the '16 camera up front.

Hi
Thanks, have fitted the 2015 on the rear and the 2016 on the front, have fitted both with a 37mm Circular Polarising CPL filter now all I need is software to combine the two video files.

I am looking at a Boblov Ambarella A12 Car Camera 2560 x 1440p as this will offer/should give same field of view as the 2015 G1W-H in a 2560 x 1440p 30fps format with GPS/speed recorded.

Has anyone got two identical dash cams mounted side by side one looking to the front left the other front right so the field of view combined could be 240 and if the two video files could be joined would make video size 3840 x 1080 / bit rate around 26kbps ?

:)

I am looking at a Boblov Ambarella A12 Car Camera 2560 x 1440p as this will offer/should give same field of view as the 2015 G1W-H in a 2560 x 1440p 30fps format with GPS/speed recorded.
That camera probably has a much larger FoV than your '15 G1W-H but if you want to know more about it (it's the same as the Dome D201) check @Sunny's review here.

So the Spy Tec G1WH (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00KZ0J452) is 120* lens, not 140* as I was just about to order it before I read this topic?
There's no safe way to tell. If we can't believe what they advertise, then pictures are even worse. You could end up with a normal "120º" angle lens or you could be one of the lucky few and get one like @Mike55's 2015 G1W-H with the "140º" angle lens.

There's no safe way to tell. If we can't believe what they advertise, then pictures are even worse. You could end up with a normal "120º" angle lens or you could be one of the lucky few and get one like @Mike55's 2015 G1W-H with the "140º" angle lens.

Thanks, I'll order it and see how it goes, least I won't be in a shock-horror if it's not 140* but then again, false advertisement ;)

Maybe they didn't update the description on time.
Before the G1WH is produced by another manufactur, and declared 140 degree FOV, but then this manufacture decide to use low cost chipset, of course worse quality.
Then another manufacture continue produce the Novatek G1WH version, after compared the 140 degree lens, the 120 degree lens which used on G1W-C is better, and cost is a little higher.

Back