G90 all kinds of issues

Robert Williams

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi folks; this is my first dashcam, though hoping I can nail some of the issues as 'user issues' rather than 'product issues', before I send it back.

Principally, hitting the record/keep button is inconsistent; mostly, it will record the NEXT 30 seconds or so of footage, rather than the PREVIOUS xx minutes as defined in the menu. Is there a setting that's interfering here?

Secondly, recorded / loop footage will simply disappear - for example, just checking it now after driving around for about 1.5hrs off and on, there's only x4 looped videos stored (total videos of Event + Normal is only around 500mb, whereas it's a 32gb Class 10 card).

I'm going to reset the device to default settings and hope for the best, though what's happening here doesn't feel right.

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Check that motion detection is disabled on the camera and if you have a pc run the memory card through chkdsk to make sure there are no filesystem issues as I've had that in the past. If you format the card that should work too.

Once it's been checked or formatted, download some software called h2testw and let it test the memory card to make sure it's not gone faulty.

Oh and make sure that any timelapse modes are disabled.

Once you've done those you should be good to go :)

Red/orange SOS button record only 30 seconds, 10 before and 20 after button press, if display is off then first press only wake up camera, second press start record, you can press it many times to make it sure (like i do) it only record one video anyway.
In my firmware there is no option to select any time to sos button.

Thanks folks; great suggestions, I'll try all of them.
Now for my latest issue? I RESET the device, and it's defaulted to Russian text! The hilarity continues :)

That's normal - it should be pretty easy to get it back - from memory press menu twice and it's in that lot near the end!

Is it язык
yazyk maybe?

The one I'm running goes to Korean after updates but at least it has pictures :)

:D it's supposed to have been language! That might not be right! I just clicked through all the menus looking for English but sure it was on the second menu page (where you press menu twice). I'll check mine tomorrow if you're still stuck :)

An update; resetting my device - even though it's now in Russian! - has 'fixed' most of these issues. Happy with that!
It's still in Russian, but hey... as long as it works, and I can capture and extract videos... then happy days, I wont be returning it.

Now just to fix the Lick Camera setting, and get it back to English ;)

**Update**
First option, 2nd menu... English :)

Last edited:
if display is off then first press only wake up camera, second press start record, you can press it many times to make it sure (like i do)
Thanks. Good to know that because I didn't and at the end of the trip I found that none of my selected videos were saved :p

The main issue I'm having now is that it keeps asking me if I want to "Movie Recovery" select "Delete" or "Recover" . It's get annoying when it asks me nearly every single time I start up my car and the camera turns on.

I've tried a factory reset still with issue and reformatted my SD card. Thanks in advance.

I've not had that problem.
Separately however, the suction cap has broken away from the mount, making it currently unusable.

I've started to flag this Dome G90 as an 'entry level' dashcam only, before moving onto a better unit. Superglue might fix my issue, though really it should be necessary!

Attachments

• brokenBracket_DomeG90.jpg
    brokenBracket_DomeG90.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11
The main issue I'm having now is that it keeps asking me if I want to "Movie Recovery" select "Delete" or "Recover" . It's get annoying when it asks me nearly every single time I start up my car and the camera turns on.
That sounds like the battery isn't working so well and isn't saving files correctly after power is cut - either that or a firmware bug.

It's probably worth seeing if the vendor you bought the camera from can help out there.

As for the mount they're not great - maybe get one of the alternatives from here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-g90-mount-is-rubbish-what-alternatives-have-we-got.7025/

I had a comment from someone at Dome one one of my videos saying they make the best dashcams - they should focus on improving the mount before adding any more software bells and whistles if they ever want to be able to say things like that :) They're obviously working to a cost but the mount is one of the most critical parts of a dashcam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a comment from someone at Dome one one of my videos saying they make the best dashcams - they should focus on improving the mount before adding any more software bells and whistles if they ever want to be able to say things like that :) They're obviously working to a cost but the mount is one of the most critical parts of a dashcam.

Oddly enough one of the Dome reps was extolling the virtues of this model on another forum and I politely suggested that the model had potential but they really needed to do something about improving the mount, he was quite offended and told me how much positive feedback they get about the mount they use and wouldn't have a word of it

as they say, you can lead a horse to water ........

Reverend thanks for the heads up on alternatives; just what I need.

As for Dome; right now they're intent on me sending them the broken part... for "repairs"... when it's clearly unrepairable. ie: it's a replacement mount and / or parts, not a repair. Including me shipping them the entire (broken) bracket... for "repairs". Really silly, when in reality it's an a) throw the broken one in the bin, b) send me their $2 bracket replacement under their warranty.

Odd practices indeed.

I've tried a factory reset still with issue and reformatted my SD card. Thanks in advance.
Usually this happen when dashcam battery is weak/dead, camera do not have time to close last video properly leaving it as "open" and next time when you start camera it asks you do you want to repair video file so it can be watched normally.
Try settings and take all shutdown delays off or turn them as short as possible.
If that don't help then i would say that you must replace battery.

Last edited:

I had that happen few times.
It happens more if you only drive short distance and the battery is not charged enough to last to save the last video.
When it prompts to delete or recover, press recover if you want to save the last file of previous drive or delete if there was nothing unusual.
That means the screen must be somewhere you can see at least partially or you'll be driving without anything recording as the dashcam is still waiting for your answer.
A new firmware update should/must 'Recover' the files automatically without user input and start recording after it's saved because it's a big bug that needs to be addressed as it puts drivers in fake trust, specially those who mount the camera behind the rearview mirror and don't realize it's not recording.

Do you know what are the latest firmwares for G90 A7LA70 with and without GPS ?

I'm not sure if there is any update recently.
I used the 18mbps version from one of the posts here and it was not from factory update.
The auto recovery should be from the factory update unless someone here is smart enough to tweak that feature.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Y G90 14
Feitelijk G90 79
Sabe G90 119
Back