Garmin 55 keeps going back to initial setup

Mike789

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I’ve used the Dashcam 55 for a few months and had no problems.

Now, when I start up the car, the unit keeps turns on and wants me to Enter initial setup info. For example, it wants to know what language, units (mi/km), time format (12, 24-hr, UTC), camera placement, etc.

I set up my preferences, it seems to record ok. When I shut off the ignition, it powers down and no issue. Howeve, when I turn on the ignition, it will cycle through the same settings and I would need to set them again.

Has anyone else experience this problem?

The camera works, but I don’t want 5o have to keep setting the unit up each time I start a drive.

Any advise?

thanks,

mjlw

Maybe battery got disconnected or died? When you turn it on, what's the battery status/icon? Did you try reset?

Good questions.

Here's my observations: The battery is likely not disconnected. I say this because when I disconnect the 5v usb power cable to it - the unit turns on and seems to work. It goes into initial setup mode each time I turn it on (without the 5v external power). So - I'm assuming the battery is connected.

The battery status shows "full" after disconnecting the 5v external cable. Eventually - the indicator starts to show less than full - after I keep trying to trouble shoot it. It charges up again when I connect back to a 5v usb plug.

I did try resetting it. I press and hold the power button for more than 10sec. It didn't work. It still wants to go into setup more each time I turn it on.

Does it need a software/firmware upgrade? Is this a possible route to take to resolve the problem?

Make sure that when you set it up it can get a good satellite lock. Usually this must be done outside.

Back