garmin 55 - poor image quality

editor

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hello everyone

When I was about to buy a dashcam I have browse the web for hours (days) and decided on buying the garmin 55.
Now that I have it I find the quality of this dashcam really really bad. Infact, I have the feeling other vids that are posted online of this cam are of a much better quality.

Is there something I am forgetting? (tried to record in 1440p, 1080@60fps, 1080@30fps HDR)

I have uploaded a wetransfer-link to one of the videos I've made.

Thank you for all the help.
A much disappointed man.
From Belgium.

WeTransfer required me to sign up before viewing, which I won't do. Most folks here use mega.nz to post raw video files.

If you're getting really bad vids from this cam, it's probably something simple or a defective cam as this one usually does quite well.

Phil

I dunno, that's just what I'm getting here. Any thoughts on the video he posted? Possibly protective plastic on the lens/CPL?

Phil

just had a look, it's shocking, 15mbit for QHD is going to struggle but it still looks worse than expected, looks like the lens focus may be a bit off as well

That's definitely not the original 1440p video. Looks like it's been up-sampled from the low res 640x368 GLV file that was introduced in 3.90 firmware. @editor copy the original .mp4 file directly from the SD card.

OP might be using the glv file. I also did it by accident once :D however, that file is much smaller

Hello everyone, thanks already for the replies, I appreciate it.

Well I download my videos with virb, might that be the issue? as lacibaci describes.

I go to the folder unsaved videos or whatever it is called by connecting through wifi to the dashcam.
When I download a vid it does gives me the 1080p or 1440p above the downloading bar that progresses.

I will test today by taking out the sdcard and compare footage.

I have called garmin but looks like they don't want to be bothered alot with dashcams.

Thanks
Pieter

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the advice you've given me.
The images are alot more clear when I plugin the sdcard in my laptop than when I download the videos from virb.

https://we.tl/t-EjTgXHcxRC (1x 1080p vid and 1x 1440p vid).

Does that mean that there is no way to download the high quality videos with virb over wifi?

Kind regards
Pieter

Not sure about Virb but even if there was a way to download the high res. videos over Wi-Fi, you wouldn't want to. The files are just too large...

Ok, but thanks alot.
I'll be keeping this cam on my windshield :).

Virb should mention when you download a file that it are GLV files, because when I downloaded I always had this 1080p 1440p comment above the progressing download bar.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the advice you've given me.
The images are alot more clear when I plugin the sdcard in my laptop than when I download the videos from virb.

https://we.tl/t-EjTgXHcxRC (1x 1080p vid and 1x 1440p vid).

Does that mean that there is no way to download the high quality videos with virb over wifi?

Kind regards
Pieter

that's a lot better

WeTransfer required me to sign up before viewing, which I won't do. Most folks here use mega.nz to post raw video files.

If you're getting really bad vids from this cam, it's probably something simple or a defective cam as this one usually does quite well.

Phil

I get the same sign up page as you did, Phil. Not doing that either.

I found Virb to be useless for downloading - it took hours and the quality was poor. So, yeah, downloading over WiFi is probably not going to work well.

Back