Garmin 55 Powering Off

Heffe707

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve had my camera hooked up for about three weeks. It will regularly start the 15 second countdown and power off. Sometimes if I unplug it and plug it back in, it will fix. I’ve also started to notice that it only happens mid day, and when it’s sunny. I don’t think it’s ever happened in the morning or at night or when it’s cloudy. It’s hard wired with the Garmin parking cable - fuse tapped to the cigar lighter for the acc and the door locks for constant 12v. The fuses are fine and secure, and the internal fuse on the yellow wire is fine as well. Tried switching memory card and the firmware is up to date. Anyone else have this problem? I’m starting to think something is wrong with the camera..maybe heat issue?

Is it 15 seconds or 5 seconds? If it was heat related you would see a message on the screen.

Ahh, I didn’t know it’d show a message if it were heat related. It’s the same message as when you turn the car off, but it counts down from 15 instead of 5. For some reason it keeps losing power. I notice it takes roughly the same amount of time whenever it does it because when I’m running errands for work or going to lunch, it always does it when I’m in the same parts of town that I frequent.

I would try with making sure that +12V constant is really constant... Different SD card would be second. Factory reset third. In US you can also call Garmin support - maybe they will have other ideas.

How do you perform a factory reset?

I was going to call garmin as well. I’m about to go to lunch at work on a route I normally take so I’ll see if it tries to shut off again. It was fine at 630 am this morning driving to work, and it was good last night at 600 pm going home. I’m pretty sure the constant 12v is correct, I had help from some guys in an Infiniti forum that have hooked up the same camera. Hopefully garmin can steer me in the right direction.

I May have figured it out. The only thing different I can think of between driving early morning, night, or when it’s cloudy is the fact that I have my lights on. I was doing the same thing on lunch today but whenever I turn my headlights all the way on, or to auto, the message goes away and the camera stays on. I don’t see how the door locks are connected to the headlights, maybe because the buttons illuminate when the lights are on. I’m gonna test it some more and let you know because I searched google high and low and couldn’t find any answers.

Back