Garmin 55 suddenly stopped working, doesn't see sd card now

Glenstr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been using my 55 for about a year now, with no issues at all. Shortly after I got it I picked up a couple of 128GB sandisk ultra cards for it because I was doing long time lapses with it with 1300 km drives to the coast etc., plus I just liked the extra storage so I could go way back if I forgot to save files etc. I just realized recently that I was supposed to be using max 64GB cards, but I've never had issues with the large cards.

Anyway, yesterday at work I took out one card to get some files off it, and switched it out with the other one. When I was driving home I noticed that it said it needed to format the card, so I pressed the button to format the card but the same message kept popping up. When I got home I took the card in and formatted it with my PC, put it back in, then is said I needed to insert an SD card, even though one was inserted. I tried a couple of 32 GB cards I had, formatted them with my PC, and even tried a brand new one, but I keep getting the message to insert a card.

I tried the reset by holding the power button for 12 seconds etc., but nothing works. This camera is only a year old, and I'm thinking likely out of warranty.

Is there another way to reset these units? I am hoping I don't have a year old brick here.

Resetting with the power button is the only way I know. The camera should power up even without a card, you can try that. If that doesn't work, try reflashing the latest firmware.
If that doesn't work try Garmin support.

it powers up fine, it's just always asking for an sd card now, even when there is one in it.

Like lacibaci indicated, run the card issue by Garmin support to see if they have some magic to try before sending it in to them.

Well, just got off Garmin chat support, went through a master reset but still could not get camera working, so they are sending me another unit.

Since I was unable to find out how to do a master reset prior to talking to their support, here it is for others:
===========================================================================================================
To reset the Dash Cam:

1. Start with the device OFF and disconnected from power.
  2. Press and hold down both the Save/Select and Down buttons, then press and hold the Power button while continuing to hold the bottom two buttons.
  3. The red LED on the device will appear for approximately 3 seconds.
  4. After the red LED turns off, release the Down button, but continue to hold Save/Select and the Power button until the Garmin logo appears.
    • Once the logo appears, release the Power button. After approximately 3 seconds, the device will reset, and the Save/Select button can be released.
A master reset will reset all of the device's settings to factory default values and will clear any saved satellite data. It will not delete saved or unsaved photos or videos.
===========================================================================================================

I was also asked which card I was using, apparently they only "support" the following cards:

BrandSpecsSize
ADATAUHS-I16 and 32 GB
KingstonEVERPRO UHS-I U132 and 64 GB
SamsungPro+ XC64 GB
SanDiskClass 104, 8, 16, and 32 GB "Extreme HC"
TranscendHigh Endurance4, 8, 16, and 32 GB
ToshibaExceria UHS-I16 and 32 GB

I was using a 32Gb Sandisk Extreme, which fell into the supported cards. However in the past I had used Sandisk Ultra Class 10's up to 128GB capacity and they seemed to work with no issues at all.

In the product literature online for the 55 it just states Class 10 or better up to 64GB, so it seems that Garmin is not being consistent here. Also given that the camera is only recording HD, one would think a card like the Sandisk Extreme was overkill, I have recorded 4K video on an Ultra class 10 before with no issues.

I like to use a large capacity for long travelapses I make, which is why I was using 128GB cards, which, up until the unit stopped working, seemed to work just fine. Once I get the replacement unit however, I will stick to 64GB cards in the above list.

I've been meaning to pick up another one of these for my wifes vehicle, but I think I'll put the 55 in hers and look at the new 56, since it officially supports up to 256GB cards.

I assume your reset instructions are with a card in the camera?

I assume your reset instructions are with a card in the camera?

the support person didn't say, but I assume so since it says that saved and unsaved photos etc will not be deleted.

Back