Garmin 57 and Mini 2 replacement

pr1970

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

have had these two front and rear dashcams from Garmin installed for about a year and find them very frustrating to use.
I had enough when found the front one was just staying connected and causing my battery to almost go flat. My car app is constantly complaining the battery is low, even though I disabled parking guard, now I just pull the usb cable out of the dash cam when parked. The app is terrible, it connects and then doesn’t and needs reconnecting, it’s slow to use and when you do eventually get the footage you want it takes too long to download, the online vault system is hit and miss. Sometimes it just does the rear and not the front.

is there anything out there that actually sends footage fast to a phone? I don’t want to be removing memory cards. I just want to capture an incident and it will either send to my phone via WiFi or send when I get home.
thanks

Hi all

have had these two front and rear dashcams from Garmin installed for about a year and find them very frustrating to use.
I had enough when found the front one was just staying connected and causing my battery to almost go flat. My car app is constantly complaining the battery is low, even though I disabled parking guard, now I just pull the usb cable out of the dash cam when parked. The app is terrible, it connects and then doesn’t and needs reconnecting, it’s slow to use and when you do eventually get the footage you want it takes too long to download, the online vault system is hit and miss. Sometimes it just does the rear and not the front.

is there anything out there that actually sends footage fast to a phone? I don’t want to be removing memory cards. I just want to capture an incident and it will either send to my phone via WiFi or send when I get home.
thanks
Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro or Viofo a229 pro. Have had pretty fast and reliable wifi transfers of footage to my phone. Never had any issues with them

Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro or Viofo a229 pro. Have had pretty fast and reliable wifi transfers of footage to my phone. Never had any issues with them
Thanks , I did actually have a Viofo before the Garmin and the app was even worse. Sent it back and went for the Garmin which was ok to begin with.
The vantrue seems a mixed bag, Amazon reviews are good but their website and a couple of “professional “ reviews gave mediocre ratings. Again app issues .

Thanks , I did actually have a Viofo before the Garmin and the app was even worse. Sent it back and went for the Garmin which was ok to begin with.
The vantrue seems a mixed bag, Amazon reviews are good but their website and a couple of “professional “ reviews gave mediocre ratings. Again app issues .
Choice is up to you really, a lot of the issues with Vantrue have been ironed out. Same with Viofo app. They're both pretty good with their firmware update cadence.

I know it's a bit of reading but do check out the dedicated Nexus 4 Pro and A229 Pro forums on here as there are a bunch of reviews (myself included). Might help your purchasing decisions or even for an alternative model like the A119 Mini 2 perhaps.

Hi all

thanks
I doubt you'll find any camera (or any other device) that will send gigabytes of data fast over Wi-Fi. Maybe Wi-Fi 6 but even that would take a few minutes...

I doubt you'll find any camera (or any other device) that will send gigabytes of data fast over Wi-Fi. Maybe Wi-Fi 6 but even that would take a few minutes...
These two are both wifi 5 and it takes maybe two minutes max to transfer a 500mb file to my phone over wifi. So not too bad.

Wifi 6 would be even better but I'm not fussed.

ok thanks, yeah I accept the Viofo i tried was a few years ago so hopefully its more stable now, also was a Mini version of a cam that had just been released.

Who mentioned Gigabytes? My Garmin sends files about 80mb for 30secs. But even that takes about 2-3 minutes to download if the wind is blowing in the right direction.

These two are both wifi 5 and it takes maybe two minutes max to transfer a 500mb file to my phone over wifi. So not too bad.

Wifi 6 would be even better but I'm not fussed.
That sounds good, much better than my Garmin. Thanks

Who mentioned Gigabytes? My Garmin sends files about 80mb for 30secs. But even that takes about 2-3 minutes to download if the wind is blowing in the right direction.
Well it's 160MB per minute, so depending on how long your trips are, it will add up.

Well it's 160MB per minute, so depending on how long your trips are, it will add up.
Its only to capture an incident, 30secs is all I usually need. Anything that can transfer that in seconds rather than minutes is an improvement on my existing Garmin camera.

Its only to capture an incident, 30secs is all I usually need. Anything that can transfer that in seconds rather than minutes is an improvement on my existing Garmin camera.
For incidents, DC 57 will upload footage to the cloud and you have 24 hours for a free tier to retrieve it. It does require Wi-Fi connection though. For me that's not a problem since my car has LTE to Wi-Fi bridge. If you don't have this option, Garmin Dash Cam™ Live may be an option.

For incidents, DC 57 will upload footage to the cloud and you have 24 hours for a free tier to retrieve it. It does require Wi-Fi connection though. For me that's not a problem since my car has LTE to Wi-Fi bridge. If you don't have this option, Garmin Dash Cam™ Live may be an option.
Yeah I did think this was a good option but I’m finding that’s what’s draining my car battery. I get home and it connects to my wifi and stays connected for upto 30mins. And even then it sometimes just grabs the rear footage and not the front.

Hi all

thanks
For transfer files, you can use a type-c to type-c cable to connect with the A229 Pro with iPhone 15 or the latest Android phones, it is faster than WiFi.

For transfer files, you can use a type-c to type-c cable to connect with the A229 Pro with iPhone 15 or the latest Android phones, it is faster than WiFi.
Do you have an estimated implementation / release date for this feature?

Do you have an estimated implementation / release date for this feature?
The current version is already supported, you just need to confirm the phone support and use the right type-c to type-c cable.
We may replace the current type-a to type-c 50cm cable to a type-c to type-c cable in the future.

The current version is already supported, you just need to confirm the phone support and use the right type-c to type-c cable.
We may replace the current type-a to type-c 50cm cable to a type-c to type-c cable in the future.
Very nice.
Can you post a demonstration video on the Viofo YouTube Channel?

Back