Garmin DashCam 55 Parked Video File

Jess Lorenzo

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It has been 2 days since I installed the park mode cable on my garmin dashcam. So far, the parked video file is much more than the unsaved video. Park Video files total 27G and Unsaved Files only at 8G.

Does this mean that I will have more parked video files than driving video files? What if the park vids use up my 64G memory. Will it erase previous files? Will I still be able to save video?

Thanks

Here you have my email communication with Garmin support concerning this topic. There is no acceptable explanation or solution, but maybe this information will help you a little bit.

==============================================================================
Product.Support@garmin.com
18 Dec (5 days ago)
to NAME.

Dear NAME,

I have forwarded your email to the design team as they are always interested in customer feedback. Many of the comments/suggestions we receive (such as yours) are often evaluated towards potential implementation into future Garmin products or current unit software releases. We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions.

We also have a portal for customers to submit ideas directly to our innovation experts. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

Kind regards,

Garmin Europe

PO Box 392 | Southampton | SO40 0FW | UK
www.garmin.co.uk
Registered office: Liberty House, Hounsdown Business Park, Southampton , SO40 9LR , UK . Registration no. 2724437 VAT Reg. No. GB568 6978 58

>> Original Message ...
>> From: NAME.@gmail.com
>> To: Product.Support@garmin.com
>> Subject: Re: Garmin Dash Cam™ 55 - Camera << Reference ID: 10608231K0 >>
>> Sent: 16/12/2017 08:49
>>
Hello,
>>
I need to continue in this discussion.
>> Meanwhile I purchased and installed a 64GB SD card into the DashCam.
>> After about 18 days I am in about the same situation:
105unsvd: 1 GB; stored last 6 minutes of driving
103parkm: 56.3 GB; stored records from 30.11.2017 to 16.12.2017

As I wrote at the beginning, there might happen a damage to a vehicle during driving, which will not produce such an impact (hit to a rear mirror, hit from a hard object to a headlight, etc.) that DashCam would register it and put it into the 100event but I want to have it recorded and not get overwritten.

6 minutes before a record gets overwritten is too less, because it might happen that it would not be possible to find a safe place (parking place) to stop the car and manipulate with the camera to save the record manually. For example on highway...

I consider this as a flaw in the camera design and I would expect that Garmin will deliver a firmware update, which would allow user to set an interval for driving mode which will keep last X minutes (30; 60; 120;.. minutes) of driving records before they get overwritten.
>> Keeping 16 days (about 2646 minutes = 44 hours ) of parking mode records is really not necessary.

Please let me know when there will be a firmware update available.

Thank you in advance,

NAME
>>
On 28 November 2017 at 17:31, <Product.Support@garmin.com> wrote:
>> Dear NAME ,

Thank you for your email
>>
>> Generally the device will only record the 3 minutes leading up to an accident and it will save once an impact is made
>>
>> You can select the option to record constantly however the video length of the 64GB memory card will depend on the level of video quality you are wanting to record
>>
Regards
>>
>> Garmin Europe

>> Original Message ...
>> >> To: product.support@garmin.com
>> >> Subject: Garmin Dash Cam™ 55 - Camera
>> >> Sent: 25/11/2017 12:07
>> >>
>> >> Web Self-Service Email Form Submission

>> >>
Description: I have 30GB SD card, and camera keeps:
1. 27.8 GB of parked mode recording. With history of 4 days (21.-24.11.2017).
2. Only 1 GB of driving mode with history of 7 minutes from the last trip.
Is there a way how to define how much time of last driwing should be kept?
I would like to have for example at least 30 minutes of past driwing stored.
If I will purchase a 64GB SD card, how long duration of driving history will be kept before it gets cyclicaly overwritten?
What is the algorithm, which defines for how long into the past are parked mode videos stored and how long into the past are driving videos stored?
My wife had an accident during driving that car comming from oposite direction destroyed the left mirror and did not stop and I expect that such "light" collison would not be detected by the acceleration sensor in the camera although it was quite expensive repair.
Therefore I purchased the DashCam to have such incidents recorded. And if camera keeps just last 7 minutes of driving then the video can get easily overwritten before I will inspect it and save it for the police or insurance company.
Thank you in advance for answer, NAME
Product: Garmin Dash Cam™ 55

Seems that I have to turn off parked video in this case.
Would this mean that parked cable mode is not useful?

In settings there is possibility to define for how long should be parked video recorded after the car stops - 2 hours, ..., 6 hours,... or "permanently".
I did set "permanently" because sometimes the car is in garage, but sometimes in public place for more than 2 days. And if the camera is facing to a street, where are people and cars moving permanently, then it records nearly permanently.

I would say that parked mode is useful but the SW development from Garmin is not finished!

I would suggest to wrote your requirement to http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
as they suggested. It may push Garmin to come with some solution.

I have it at the minimum of 2 hours. But the files are still large. Each day seem to add up and it does not delete the old parked video file.

The driving videos are more important to me as it is what I got the dash cam for.

For now, and at least until they fix this, i will turn off recording in parked.

Yes, I hope to write garmin as well. Thank you for your feedback sir.

I mentioned the same to Garmin USA support and got pretty much the same response.
It's too bad, seems like it would be a simple change to make the parking files included in the normal rotation. Or at least they could make it configurable.
Other than that, the dash cam has been working very reliably since April.

Has anything been done in the latest 3.7 updates to address this issue yet?
I have not yet installed the parking adapter unit, so have not fully tested this feature yet. It is very poor if the parking events are not auto deleted or something like that. Unacceptable even. My bench testing seems to indicate nothing has been done and the parking event files will rapidly fill the card. As I said elsewhere, it is as though Garmin rushed these things out without fully field testing the design before the production release.

Peter

Last edited:
No - 3.7 addressed only European GDPR requirements. I am astonished that they didn't also address the frequent request for rollover parking recordings.

Absolutely crazy. I have the 45. Bought the $35 parking mode cable only to find it's let down by it's own software by hogging storage space. I've lodged a complaint with Garmin about it but we all know it'll get us nowhere.

Just can't understand how such a big oversight can be made by a reputable brand such as Garmin. Equally, such a simple fix to make it part of the loop recording cycle...

I use a 128GB micro SD card which gives more storage space and have parking mode set to 2 hours duration. Every few days I delete all the parking mode videos using the camera menu on start up. This stops the camera filling up with lots of parked footage and leaves plenty of space for all the driving footage.

Back