Garmin Dashcam 56 did something weird today

Philip F

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
So this afternoon I was out and about, and when I wanted to review my footage just now, discovered that at some point it had turned the audio recording off and had changed from km/h to MPH, which obviously I had not told it to do. On closer review of the footage, I spotted the moment when this had happened, it is weird, all of a sudden it's recording as normal, next moment, sound is off and the km/h reading becomes MPH. Any ideas what is up with that? The device is always up to date, is well looked after and looks as good as the day I bought it. It's not the first time that it has done the uncommanded turning off of audio recording. Only thing that I can think is happening is that it picked up (connected to) or saw the other Garmin Dashcam 56 in our other car which was probably still on (this coincidentally happened when I had parked in our driveway), and that one usually has its audio recording turned off, and I suspect has the measuring system set to MPH... If this is the case, how do I prevent this from happening in future?

Probably just a coincidence or a bug. One dash cam cannot talk to another. However, if you have them both paired with your phone (Drive app) the app could *in theory* change the settings. Very unlikely though.

Probably just a coincidence or a bug. One dash cam cannot talk to another. However, if you have them both paired with your phone (Drive app) the app could *in theory* change the settings. Very unlikely though.
Until recently the Drive app on my phone DID have them both on, but I removed the other one because it was causing issues with wanting to update that one when mine was up to date, and caused confusion in as far as me trying to then upgrade mine instead of the other one. So I suspect that although it has been removed, it still recognises it. I do also have the app installed on my PC, and there it still has both added, so that might be a factor too. They are supposed to "network" in order to use multiple Garmin Dashcams in a vehicle, but I wouldn't have expected them to influence each other's settings. The moment in which everything changed was literally as I stopped next to the other car, and it has been confirmed that it was running the whole time (not actual park mode, the car's cigarette lighter doesn't power off). I also looked through the settings to see if there is a way to disable this, nothing...

I have two 56's in my truck, one forward facing, one rearward facing. Both have separate Garmin park mode power cords with the same power source location. I've not had any issues with settings or connectivity or normal operation with them.

I have two 56's in my truck, one forward facing, one rearward facing. Both have separate Garmin park mode power cords with the same power source location. I've not had any issues with settings or connectivity or normal operation with them.
Sure, but I would expect you have them both setup in the same way? Both MPH I would think, not one accidentally set to km/h, and then either you have them both with audio on or off. Plus, being constantly in close proximity to each other, they are always working as a multiple camera network, which you can utilize via the Garmin Drive app to export picture in picture vids. In the interim, I have removed the other dashcam from both my phone's app and the app on my PC, hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.

Sure, but I would expect you have them both setup in the same way? Both MPH I would think, not one accidentally set to km/h, and then either you have them both with audio on or off. Plus, being constantly in close proximity to each other, they are always working as a multiple camera network, which you can utilize via the Garmin Drive app to export picture in picture vids. In the interim, I have removed the other dashcam from both my phone's app and the app on my PC, hopefully that will prevent this from happening again.
Both operating the same way. Yes in MPH, because I'm in the US. Not multiple camera network. Do not use Garmin Drive app.

I'm a simple man. Have no need for the lastest and greatest cell phones. Use a flip phone as a telephone and that's it. The only features I need in a cell phone are large keys and a lound ringer.

Both operating the same way. Yes in MPH, because I'm in the US. Not multiple camera network. Do not use Garmin Drive app.

I'm a simple man. Have no need for the lastest and greatest cell phones. Use a flip phone as a telephone and that's it. The only features I need in a cell phone are large keys and a lound ringer.
Well, I was in close proximity to the other dashcam earlier this evening, both powered on, and it didn't cause any issues, so I think the mere fact that I have removed the other dashcam from my PC app when checking for updates has maybe sorted this out, but will keep an eye on it.

Back