General Questions about Dash Cam's (DVR-027)

Motti

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,
I'm about to buy the DVR-027 and have a few questions.

I would like to record everytime I drive with my car.
Is it possible to always connect the Cam with the cigarette lighter, without damaging the battery?

My plan is to use an cigarette lighter adapter, so I can connect two things. For example my mobile phone (which is my navi at the same time) and the cam together^^

Is it easy to start the record? I get into my car, press one Button and it starts the record. When I've arrived I press one Button and the record stops, and the Cam shuts down.

Greetings,
Motti

Hi :D So you're worried about the battery because its recharging everytime you turn on the engine? I think that shouldnt be a problem. The battery has a maximum capacity of charge cycles (Ladezyklen :D) and if the battery is only half full and you charge it, the battery get only a half charge cycles lost.

Also auf Deutsch, die Battery hat eine gewisse anzahl von Ladezyklen. Wieviele diese China-Batterien haben kann man nicht direkt sagen, ist auch immer unterschiedlich aber es sollten aufjedenfall 150-250 sein. Wenn diese komplett verbraucht sind ist die Battery tot. Wenn die Battery aber nur halb leer ist und du lädst diese wieder voll auf dann wird von der Battery lediglich ein halber Ladezyklus weggenommen. Die Cam nimmt natürlich über Nacht wenn das Auto steht ein wenig Saft von der Battery um die Uhrzeit zu speichern, also wird am nächsten Morgen wenn die Battery wieder geladen wird lediglich ein winziges Stückchen geladen und deshalb nur ein winziges Stückchen von einem Ladezyklus :D

Ich selber möchte auch einen 12v Splitter benutzen, ich denke da wird es keine Probleme geben wenn bloß die Carcam und ein Navi drann hängen :D
Hoffe ich hatte deine Frage richtig verstanden :D

Gruß Alex

Hi,
yeah thats what i'm worried about^^
So I can always connect the cam with the cigar lighter and there should be no problem?
Or is it possible to power the cam throught the cigar lighter without the use of the battery?
And if it is easy to start / stop the record, when I get in or out of the car.

Und in Deutsch: Ja genau das wollte ich wissen^^
Also kann ich die Cammera einfach dauerhaft über den Zigarettenanzünder angeschlossen lassen und habe kein Problem?
Oder kann ich die Batterie auch ausbauen und einfach direkt über den Zigarettenanzünder mit Strom beliefern? :eek:

Zudem noch, ob es einfach ist die Aufnahme zu starten oder zu stoppen.
Eben wenn ich in den Wagen steige, dann drücke ich einen Knopf und die Aufnahme startet.
Wenn ich dann wieder den Wagen abstelle, dann drücke ich noch einen Knopf und die Aufnahme stoppt.

Greetings,
Motti

The DVR-027 is designed to be connected via the cigarette lighter socket all the time to allow continuous recording. The battery is only really for gracefully ending recordings when the engine is turned off, or to allow recording if the power fails. The battery doesn't last long enough to record for more than about 20 minutes anyway.

When the DVR-027 gets power via the cigarette lighter when you start your engine, it automatically turns on and starts recording. It then turns itself off after about 10 seconds after you turn your engine off - so you don't need to do anything! You can of course manually stop and start recordings using the button, and turn it on/off using the power button if you want to.

Hi to scotland :mrgreen:
Thanks, now all of my questions are answered.

So the Battery is just some sort of a buffer to bypass the power cut, when i turn the engine off. Good :)

I'll order the DVR-027 now and thank you all for the answers. Can't wait for the cam to arrive :D :D

Greetings,
Motti

Motti said:
Und in Deutsch: Ja genau das wollte ich wissen^^
Also kann ich die Cammera einfach dauerhaft über den Zigarettenanzünder angeschlossen lassen und habe kein Problem?
Oder kann ich die Batterie auch ausbauen und einfach direkt über den Zigarettenanzünder mit Strom beliefern? :eek:

Zudem noch, ob es einfach ist die Aufnahme zu starten oder zu stoppen.
Eben wenn ich in den Wagen steige, dann drücke ich einen Knopf und die Aufnahme startet.
Wenn ich dann wieder den Wagen abstelle, dann drücke ich noch einen Knopf und die Aufnahme stoppt.
Ja die Cam kann direkt am Zigarettenanzünder bleiben :D Die Battery ausbauen und extra aufladen könnte ich mir garnicht vorstellen wie :D

Die Aufnahme startet und stoppt automatisch wie rjgscotland schon sagte. Sobald du den Motor anmachst geht die Kamera automatisch an und startet automatisch die Aufnahme. Und sobald du den Motor wieder ausmachst stoppt sie automatisch und geht wieder aus :D Man braucht sich also um die Cam garnicht kümmern :D

Motti said:
Hi to scotland :mrgreen:
Thanks, now all of my questions are answered.

So the Battery is just some sort of a buffer to bypass the power cut, when i turn the engine off. Good :)

I'll order the DVR-027 now and thank you all for the answers. Can't wait for the cam to arrive :D :D

Greetings,
Motti

Yup that's it, it's just a sort of power buffer.

And hi to Germany! I'm driving there next month.

Great, the cam is worth every penny :D
Thank you for ordering from DX.com.
Your order has been successfully created and the transaction is being processed.

Couldn't find a dealer here in germany, so I orderd this linked in the FAQ :)
Great website :mrgreen:

@rjgscotland: Have a nice trip and time in germany ;)

Motti said:
Couldn't find a dealer here in germany, so I orderd this linked in the FAQ :)
There are some Dealers on eBay who sell them but its better to buy them directly from China like Dealextreme :D German eBay dealers give you warranty and stuff, but they are much more expensive :/

Yeah, i've orderd it for 45€ incl shipping and I prefer to buy from a dealer linked in the FAQ. Just to be shure, that it's not a fake :D

Greetings

Does anyone know the size of the tip of the power supply (the part that sticks into the dash cam)? Is it a 3.5mm tip by any chance?

Does anyone know if I can charge the camera with a USB cable instead of the cigarette charger? My car has USB ports which are neatly tucked away in the centre arm rest but the cigarette socket is in a pretty awkward place

jtrain said:
Does anyone know if I can charge the camera with a USB cable instead of the cigarette charger? My car has USB ports which are neatly tucked away in the centre arm rest but the cigarette socket is in a pretty awkward place

is the power plug a USB port or something else on that cam?

an easier way is usually to buy a female cigarette socket (couple of dollars from an auto parts store, eBay etc) and wire it in behind the dash, this leaves your existing lighter socket and USB free for other things

If you are getting the DVR027, be advised that it will have gaps of several seconds between clips (every 2, 10,15 minutes, whatever you have selected) which the DVR207 does not.

jtrain said:

I'm not sure if it will charge, I would have to deplete my battery and hook it up and see if it fills up. But, it will not record when plugged into USB. My DVR207 screen only shows the USB logo and all I can do is access the files that are on the SD card.

The plug feeds 12V to the camera, USB is 5V, and the cam's internal battery is 3.7V, so I assume that the camera uses 3.7V and has Voltage dropping circuitry to run off external and to recharge. So USB is theoretically capable of recharging the bat.

RSole said:
The plug feeds 12V to the camera, USB is 5V, and the cam's internal battery is 3.7V, so I assume that the camera uses 3.7V and has Voltage dropping circuitry to run off external and to recharge. So USB is theoretically capable of recharging the bat.

The camcorder itself indeed uses 5V. The voltage dropping circuit is in the cigarate adapter that come with it. I measured the output of the adapter, it's actually 6v. Now it comes to my question, why the heck the manufacturer design it using 5v while most power source in a car is 12v? I want to tap power from rear view mirror but it has only 12V!

strongline said:
The camcorder itself indeed uses 5V. The voltage dropping circuit is in the cigarate adapter that come with it. I measured the output of the adapter, it's actually 6v. Now it comes to my question, why the heck the manufacturer design it using 5v while most power source in a car is 12v? I want to tap power from rear view mirror but it has only 12V!

the platform these are built on was designed around the needs of USB so 5V makes sense, putting the power supply to step down from 12v or 24v inside the cam adds complexity and is very prone to heat and noise (EMI) which is not something you want inside the cam, stepping the voltage down outside the cam makes sense for a lot of technical reasons even if you see the practicality of it as a negative

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L DVR-XX7 15
E DVR-XX7 6
S DVR-XX7 5
Back