GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!

Portugal is burning. Yesterday alone there were more than 400 active fires at the same time. Some of the big ones had been burning since Friday. Yesterday a town had to be evacuated, some houses burned down and several motorways were cut off by the fires. The center and north regions are the most affected, with 1/3 of the active fires raging in the Oporto district. One "interesting" fact: 5 out of the 11 biggest fires started during the night! :mad:

Last night was Madeira Island's turn but the arsonist, a 24 y.o man with a criminal record, has already been caught. An entire hospital had to be evacuated because of the smoke (this morning they were still evacuating patients) and several houses were burnt down.

Pushed by strong winds, the initial fire escalated and reached proportions no one expected and turned Madeira's capital, Funchal, in something that looks more like Hell than the paradise Funchal is known by.
At the time of writing, 3 people died in the fire, more than 1000 people are now homeless, the famous 5 star hotel Choupana Hills was partially destroyed and all the tourists had to be evacuated, and a second hospital also had to be evacuated. The fire blazed through the city and reached downtown, leaving a trail of destruction behind. There are still several active fronts burning in the upper part of the city, affecting other parishes.

And all because of a moment of drugs and alcohol "inspired" insanity. Here's the picture of the piece of human waste that caused all of this:
madeira_suspeito_incendios.png

Here's a picture of the fires seen from space:
infermo_espaco.jpg

And what they looked like on the ground:
madeira_incendios.jpg

Here's one of the many news in the international press: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...an-dies-forest-wildfires-latest-a7182221.html.

It breaks my heart to see such a beautiful and picturesque city and the lives of so many people being destroyed by the actions of a single person. Makes me wonder that maybe we should have the death penalty for cases like this...

Really there is no need to hang on to idiots like that, a new and hopefully better human will take his place in no time, and by level of intelligence he display only his mother should miss him.

Same also happen here in the dry summers, for the most its a cigarette thrown out of car window as some Danes are so stupid they cant even figure out how to work a car ashtray :rolleyes::(

Really there is no need to hang on to idiots like that, a new and hopefully better human will take his place in no time, and by level of intelligence he display only his mother should miss him.
Couldn't agree more! Any prison sentence would be too good for scum like this, not to mention that he will be living at the tax payer's expenses. :mad:

Same also happen here in the dry summers, for the most its a cigarette thrown out of car window as some Danes are so stupid they cant even figure out how to work a car ashtray :rolleyes::(
According to the latest statistics, negligence is the 2nd biggest cause of Summer's wildfires in Portugal. If someone doesn't want to get his/hers car's ashtray dirty, then STOP SMOKING! :mad:

This is what the mainland's fires look like from space today:
incendios_nasa_11agosto168045c3.jpg

In the meantime, the wind changed direction to NW and now everything here is covered in smoke, the air outside is almost unbreathable and it's "raining" ashes. :(

Last week was somewhat mild, if you consider temperatures between 32 and 35ºC to be "mild", so I thought the nightmare was finally over. No chance.
This damn weather doesn't seem to want to end, not even in September. :mad:

Previsão Torres Novas 01-09 a 10-09.png

Wow! Your cars still have ash trays?

Wow! Your cars still have ash trays?
Don't know about the new cars but apparently yes. Don't forget many people on this side of the pond still drive 4-5 y.o cars (or older) and those still came with ashtrays. But still some people find it's ok to throw the butts out the window.

Last edited:
Update. It's getting weirder by the day. Look at the drop in the highs between the 6th and the 7th: 13 degrees! :eek: And another 5 degrees between the 7th and the 8th, making it a whopping 18 degrees drop in just 2 days! :confused:

Previsão Torres Novas 02-09 a 11-09.png

O man :( up here we have to be lucky if we see temperatures above 25 degrees, even 20 degrees is borderline now.

Only good thing there is little rain in the forcast, just a little sunday and a lot more in the evening.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/DAXX0026:1:DA

3 PM, GMT+1: 43ºC in the shade. :confused:
Unlike the title of this thread, today and tomorrow nothing and nobody is gonna get me out of my air-conditioned office until 7 PM! I'm going to finish the rest of mSetup's translation while listening to Planet Rock Radio.

I took this photo half an hour later, when it went over 43º:

Temp 05-09.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the first major drop: 10 degrees! If tomorrow's forecast holds, it'll drop another 6 degrees and it'll be the first under 30ºC day in 84 days! :eek:

Previsão Torres Novas 4.png

Our Met Institute published yesterday an early report about this Summer's hot weather and this year the average temperature has surpassed the previous hottest Summer, of 2005, by 2.9ºC!
Since 1931, when the weather records began, Portugal has had 10 very hot Summers. You may think that's not a lot for a period of 85 years but if I tell you that in 69 years there were only 4 and the other 6 were in the last 16 years, then it's seriously worrying!
By my accounts and related only to my region, which seemed to have been the most affected by the heat, we've had an average temperature of 34.8ºC and, so far, 27 days with temperatures of 40ºC or above, out of the 84 after temperatures started rising.

Here's the confirmation. And I thought the 7th of August was bad! :confused:

IPMA - Setembro quente.png

I seem some of that heat will make it all the way up here, i thank you so much for that, time to dig out the shorts and T- shirts again.

I seem some of that heat will make it all the way up here, i thank you so much for that, time to dig out the shorts and T- shirts again.
Really? :eek: Man, the weather is all messsed up. With a capital F! :confused:

At least things have cooled off down here during the past week. There was only one day above 30ºC, the rest of the days were around 27-28, with a cool breeze blowing from the NW. We're expecting rain next week. Already!

30 degrees here and windy so it actually was feeling pretty god damn nice, not least considering September is a fall month and summer is long gone here.
So this old guy stripped down as much as general opinion allow for and headed out, first to take my 4 legged girlfriend for a nice long walk, and after that i threw myself on the trampoline in the back yard and cooked in the sun for a while.

Seem like tomorrow will be more of the same, so i am pretty stoked about that :)

I'm happy for you. At least you got the "good" Summer weather, even if it's somewhat late in the season. Over here it has been fine, a bit cooler today, but this is the kind of Summer weather I like. As of next Friday the highs will rise again but only to around 30ºC and the lows will remain around 15ºC, to keep things cool at night.

PS: I heard on the news today that there were several health warnings issued in Britain due to a huge heat wave that was affecting them, especially the south. They were expecting record temperatures of around... 30ºC! :p:p:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:D

you always say over here, you should say down here at least compared to me way up here in the frigid north.

I remember the heatwave a few years back killed off a lot of old ppl in Paris France, i cant recall that happening up here, at least not in any numbers worth mentioning, but off course it can be problematic with hot weather and old ppl not drinking as much water as they should.

Back