Getting poor images from Lukas 7900 ACE

zapta

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everybody,

My first post in this forum. Just installed Lukas 7900 ACE on my car and getting poor images (cannot read license plates, signs, etc). Attached images show the settings (highest bitrate, full image and two zoomins of the same image). Notice the poor quality of the license plate and road sign text.

Is this the expected quality from Lukas 7900 ACE? If not,am I missing something? Do I need to focus it? Anything else?

(got the camera this week from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00C48TJ58 )

Thanks,

Z.

Attachments

• lukas0.png
    lukas0.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 299
  • lukas1.png
    lukas1.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 294
  • lukas2.png
    lukas2.png
    464 KB · Views: 281
  • lukas3.png
    lukas3.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks ok to me.

Have you tried watching the video on a different player where it can go full resolution?

jamesbcd said:
Looks ok to me.

Arn't high end dashboard cameras supposed to allow reading license plates? This image quality looks terrible to me. I would not mind to lower the fps for better quality.

jamesbcd said:
Have you tried watching the video on a different player where it can go full resolution?

What do yo mean? I am captured these images on a 14" Windows notebook computer.

It's hard for us to say it's poor quality as the size of the picture is very small. The player doesn't play the video in full size.
But yes, you'd expect high end cams to read plates. Especially given how close that car is. :(

looks okay to me too. This is what you get with 30FPS. If you car is parked, and all the other cars are parked too, you will be able to read everything.

Can you submit a video here? Your screenshots are too small.

I also not very happy with the quality I got from this camera, especially considering the price. I think there could be a problem with focus distance. Also if there will be possible to increase bitrate, I assume quality will be slightly better...

Said this, I must also mention that the youtube clip is made in Korea. And video is taken when there was no sunshine.
I checked Korean and Russian video clips and I should say that their license plates are "DVR-friendly", at least in comparison with Canada plates
I haven't seen any good clips from North America, where I will be able to see the license plate.

zapta said:
Al Drake said:
Have you compared your videos with others on YouTube?

Good point. This one for example looks much sharper. I can read license plates and road signs. (make sure to set the viewing resolution to 1080p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLe2dAGJIo8

First you have to make sure your lens is clean and then move on to the windshield. Then you have to drive around making sure you do so to end up with a sample of video clips that from every lighting angle. North, east, south and west. Then carefully review everything.

jamesbcd said:
Can you submit a video here? Your screenshots are too small.

How do I do it? Can I upload the file directly to this site? Do I have to go through youbute, vimeo, and the likes?

The best way is to use Dropbox
As far as I know, YouTube will modify your input file, so the quality maybe not as your source files.

When I go full screen, using the lukas viewer, and stop the action using the space bar, I get VERY clear pictures of license plates, bumper stickers, road signs, etc.

Hi.
We feel sorry for the problem.
It seems like you received damaged camera or item which was damaged during delivery.
As an official agent of Lukas, we would like to recommend you contact your reseller first. They should replace or repair your item.
If you can't get any service from them, you may contact us. We can provide you paid warranty service (payment only necessary for shipping cost)
Our email address is cs@astrobile.com
Please feel free to contact us.
Best regards,
you can also share the video or picture with us. We will forward it to Lukas

Zapta, did you get your video quality issue cleared up? I created an account just to reply because I had the same problem. Somehow the inside of my protective lens fogged up and I couldn't see it when looking at the lens from the front. Yesterday I removed the lens and was surprised at how fogged it was. Cleaning it brought back the good picture quality.

Mine is just like this. I'm sure u can read it when they are closer, or combine more frames together. :D
How I may combine the frames (cannot find software that will do it) and how it will help me, if for example the car is moving under some angle?

Hi Zapta
I am having the exact same problems as you, bad quality videos and in fact yours seem a bit better than mine!
I have contacted Green Sum the ebay seller and they have asked me to send them a video clip. Really hope they exchange it for a new one as I'm so disappointed with it :(

Have you sorted yours now or are you putting up with it as it is?

Back