Getting very hot and cutting out

Dalavich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My battery was been dead for a long time, so whether this is affecting it or not?

I work all day in my van, which means the dash cam is pretty much on for 9-12 hours a day. Often I'll find it's shut down and very hot to the touch, I'd go so far as to say hotter than if it were left in the sun on the dashboard hot.

Sometimes when I start the van, the voltage drop is enough to kill it until I unplug it for 2-3 minutes then restart it. (presumably replacing the battery will fix this!)

Any advice please?

Thanks.

Does sound like a battery issue to me, maybe the battery is now shorting out internally, it will probably be back to normal after a battery replacement.

Batteries often only last 18 months, how old is yours?

Unfortunately the battery is soldered in, so needs a bit of skill to replace it, search for a YT video to guide you.
Other dashcam manufacturers use super capacitors instead, removes the problem!

It's about 3-4 years old now; the battery hasn't worked for 2 years. I have just lived with it. I do have the tools & experience to replace the battery, it just came down to laziness as it worked for what I wanted until now.

It's about 3-4 years old now; the battery hasn't worked for 2 years. I have just lived with it. I do have the tools & experience to replace the battery, it just came down to laziness as it worked for what I wanted until now.

Consider replacing the battery with capacitors.
In the simplest form a capacitor in series with a limiting resistor.

Back