git2 loop overwrite behavior

jauling

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
hero hd, hero5 session, gitup git2, yi 4k+
Hey guys,

Has anyone actually tested the loop recording option on their git2 v1.6 firmware?

I theoretically took approximately 1 hour of video today, with the loop option set for every 10 minutes. I believe my Samsung EVO 64GB MicroSDXC card was basically full from recordings I've made in the last few months.

When I checked the MicroSDXC card just now, the only new video that was taken was the last video that I took today, named 2015_0101_004530_093.MP4. What's also odd is the system date/time reset itself to 2015/01/01 for some reason. I've had my git2 for over a year, and this is the first time this has happened, so I don't think its a short from the case screws like I've read in other threads.

Has anyone actually had their MicroSDXC card fill up to test the loop option?

Last edited:
I wonder if it got confused by a timedate reset (flat battery / EPROM reset?) and failed to recognise which files were next for overwrite due to the datestamps being out of sequence, so it just didn't bother? Does it go on just the last sequence number on the end of the filename or does it rely on more complex filename patterns to know which to delete in the loops?

I can try filling up my 64 GB card and doing some test recordings, I've not done that much recording yet.

So on Thu Jan 26th, the last video from that day, recorded properly with no problems, was named 2017_0126_161452_090.MP4. On Friday, when I encountered this issue, the only file I saw was the filename I mentioned above, ending in 093. On that day, I remember pushing the record button for two videos before 093. I explicitly remember being able to see the red blinking LEDs on the first video (it was facing me), but the second video was a bit more difficult (facing away). This was why I pressed the record button again to confirm it was recording. There is no 091 or 092 video on the SD card.

I panicked a bit on Friday after finding this out, and started deleting videos. I know in hindsight I shouldn't have done that. I then searched for undelete tools for OSX, and finally found a trial version of EaseUS Data Recovery. It told me it found a 903MB file called 2015_0101_003210_091.MP4. I recovered it, but sadly it doesn't want to play with VLC Media Player or QuickTime. Its highly likely this 091 file was the first video I took on Friday. Meh?

When I get a moment, I'll also test and fill up my card again and try to reproduce the issue. Thanks @Synergist! I realize its Chinese New Year time, so I'm sure @gitup will be off for a week or two right now.

I wonder if it got confused by a timedate reset (flat battery / EPROM reset?) and failed to recognise which files were next for overwrite due to the datestamps being out of sequence, so it just didn't bother? Does it go on just the last sequence number on the end of the filename or does it rely on more complex filename patterns to know which to delete in the loops?

I can try filling up my 64 GB card and doing some test recordings, I've not done that much recording yet.

as a Mac user make sure to always format the card in the camera after you've had it in your computer, deleting files with the Mac in particular will cause grief for the camera

A Mac does litter the drive with indexing files, folders (some hidden) and also creates dot files with identical file names, which results in a mess with USB drives on the head unit too.

The solution that's worked for me is CleanMyDrive2, removes all the junk on ejecting the drive. I format the cards (in-camera), only after a different or new firmware is flashed.

When you drag&drop anything from USB drive/SD card to trash in Mac... you will always need to empty the trash before ejecting it. Moving things into the trash does not mean that it's removed from the USB drive/SD card. Never have any issue when doing the 'proper' way.

I've connected my git2 directly to my Macbook many times, so that didn't have anything to do with the date/time reset or the missing video. I only started deleting files off the git2 via my Mac after I noticed missing files and the date/time reset.

I forget to mention that the first thing I did on Friday night (that I also did on Thursday night) was I connected my git2 using USB OTG to my Samsung Android phone, which was how I was downloading videos off the git2. On Friday, I did notice a bunch of Android-related directories, which my phone most likely chucked on there automagically. Why? Who knows. Thanks Samsung. This never happened when I used USB OTG with my Android tablet. I don't see how it would affect the git2 OS or cause the date reset or videos screwing up though, but I guess anything is possible at this point!

Back