Going around in Circles

Sean Nugent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going around in circles here. Everytime I narrow down on what looks like a good camera for me - I find a deal breaking reason not to get it.

What I want is a fire & forget front & rear camera system. This can be two separate units, or a dual unit
Full HD Recording, good in day and night (at least as good as night can be)
G-Sensor
Discreet - this is very important
Parking Guard / Mode (is that what we call buffered motion sensitive parking recording when the car is parked)
WDR
Don't give a stuff about Screen, Audio, GPS, Speed Cameras. I never want to look at these, or the video, unless or until something goes wrong and I need the video for insurance purposes

I plan on installing the unit(s) with a shut-off, so that if the battery voltage drops below 12.4 then that's as far as this goes - but this will be a separate unit - so not part of the spec of the unit(s)

I liked the K1S - but it seems as though there is no parking guard - it seems to tick all other boxes . Its got its own battery, runs for 40 mins or so. Nice and discreet.

So I looked at the mini' 08xx units - but have read that the parking guard either doesn't work or is non-existent

Don't want to spend stupid money, but there again I am not looking for a couple of £10.00 cameras

UK based seller - so I can send it back if its broke.

Any ideas?

Other points
I would prefer a dual unit as that way I only have to wire in a single electrical connection

The K1S really does look like the dogs danglies - apart from the lack of buffered parking guard - or whatever its called. Its certainly my favourite option at the moment

Car is a Honda Accord 2012 Saloon in the UK if it makes any difference

Last edited:
Hook up with nico and get a SGZC12RC, K1S is plauged with a lot of problems it seem, not least not that good video footage ( low bitrate )

http://hiniko.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_105_182

Or better yet wait a little ( some months ) there is better dual camera systems in the pipeline, current systems all seem to have one or tow things that you have to be carefull about or just live with.

Err, so to get two cameras I would need 2 remote units @ 499 Euros.
I would also need to hide 2 of the remote viewers in the car somewhere.
Not what I would describe as discreet albeit that the actual cameras are small
It doesn't seem to be possible to add two cameras to one remote viewer

Notwithstanding the issue of two remote units - thats more than I am prepared to pay and I already have a reversing camera

Sean

Not what I would describe as discreet ... more than I am prepared to pay ...
Sean
How is the SGZC12RC not discreet? Stick the main unit out of sight in the glovebox. If budget is an issue, buy one SGZC12RC for the front & a Mobius for the rear. I rate this as a preferable solution over any currently available 2 channel setup.

image.jpg

I accept that the camera itself is discreet - I am saying that the install as a whole is not - especially if I buy two and have to use most of my glovebox for two remote units

Maybe I should get a CF-100 as a temporary measure and wait for a sensibly specc'd 2CH setup to come out. CF-100 isn't exactly expensive.

Sean

Yeah sorry @Sean Nugent i dident see you was looking for a dual camera setup at first.

A CF100 will tie you over nicely while you wait for a more optimal dual system, or current systems to mature more.
Some of the current dual systems ( 1080 - 1080 ) make good footage, but then there is other things to look out for, like them beeing best with certain brand/models of memory cards and so on.
Allso personal i am not a huge fan of the form factor of most current dual systems, for the most they seem to be made with 1 "huge" front unit and then a little rear camera.

The main unit of the SGZC12RC is allso pretty small, even though its allso made to house a radar/laser detector at the same time, and it can easy be stashed under a seat or somthing, so you can "fish" it out when you need to get some footage off the SD card.

Next gen dual systems should be cheaper than 2 X SGZC12RC, not a whole lot cheaper, but still 500 EURO buks is a lot for a guy like us thats not joined up in the EURO mess ;)

On my current car I have a Roadscan DE unit that I bought more years ago that I care to remember (I had my old car 13 years and just changed it). To be honest I had forgotten about it just sitting there. S/NP00273 may indicate an early one

I have lost the software, can't read anything off it as it has no drivers on the PC and no external SD card
BUT it still seems to work as far as I can tell- it beeps at appropriate times

Yeah - the huge front unit puts me off a lot of the current set of offerings plus the mounting - I haven't seen a suction mount that I would describe as discreet

The form factor of the K1S is right - its just that it doesn't do what I want (parking mode)
I may have to compromise on the rear camera - I just don't want a TV screen at the front so options are:
CF100
CH100B
Blackvue DR650GW 2CH
The Marcus 5 looked possible but that mounting bracket at the front is ridiculous. I don't want scaffolding on the screen (yes I am exaggerating, a bit)
Roadscan do a Roadscan 2 Channel - but apart from the what look like decent specs (as a précis) I can find almost nothing out about it - oh and the colour isn't good

The streetview looks good, if it could drive two cameras. One camera - no thanks

Sean

To make things a bit more complex I now have 1 amp 12v power budget - preferably to run both cameras

Sean

Sean, why are you bothered about having a separate screen? Just put it behind the dash or in the glove box when you hard wire the camera.

If discreetness is important to you then the best way to get a good quality discreet camera is by having a remote recording unit.

I want the whole installation to be small - taking up as little screen and "glove box" real estate as possible. I am aware the SD cards do not last forever - so the SD Card unit has to be accessible in some manner (which behind the dash is not) to enable reformatting or replacement of the card.
I THINK the right unit for me would be (but it doesn't exist):
2 * 1080p remote cameras
Single DVR (small in size, but this doesn't have to be excessively small). Neat cabling though (ie all cables enter the unit one a single side)
WiFi access for download and configuration and streaming (mostly for setup)
No LCD
Usual features such a G Sensor, Parking Mode, Motion Sensor
High Bit Rate on both front and back
Capacitor Based
Good Chipset / CMOS

Optional:
SSD2.5" drive rather than SD
GPS

Its clear to me that I am going to have to compromise. OR wait for one of the "promised" devices to turn up soon

F750?

I want the whole installation to be small - taking up as little screen and "glove box" real estate as possible. I am aware the SD cards do not last forever - so the SD Card unit has to be accessible in some manner (which behind the dash is not) to enable reformatting or replacement of the card.
I THINK the right unit for me would be (but it doesn't exist):
2 * 1080p remote cameras
Single DVR (small in size, but this doesn't have to be excessively small). Neat cabling though (ie all cables enter the unit one a single side)
WiFi access for download and configuration and streaming (mostly for setup)
No LCD
Usual features such a G Sensor, Parking Mode, Motion Sensor
High Bit Rate on both front and back
Capacitor Based
Good Chipset / CMOS

Optional:
SSD2.5" drive rather than SD
GPS

that would be pretty close to one of the models we're working on now

Oh and all to fit inside a 12V 1 Amp power budget (whilst in fantasy land)

(or I get to swear a lot)

:D

OK - maybe I should have said 12 Watts power draw

I was just going to put the remote unit behind the glove box (technically in the dash). With all the cars I've had, you just pull two tabs either side of the glove box and the glove box will drop down. It'll take 30 seconds to get to it and won't take up any space in the glove box itself. Also no issues with wires dragging when opening/closing the glove box if the unit was sitting inside. But now...I'm definitely considering the sun visor location, thanks for the link Russ!

Everything's a compromise...but whether it has a screen, wifi or GPS didn't factor into the decision for me. Personally, I'd hate mine to have GPS and show I'm going 2mph over the limit during an accident.

Jokiin, whilst you're in the development stages please can you add a teasmade for us brits that like a cuppa on the go? :D

Back