Gopro 7 black as CCTV

but thats if the battery is pluged, right? if i dont have any battery there, does it will overheat aswell?

It's the camera's DSP and lens sensor that get hot while running, not the battery. The longer they operate inside the camera's housing the hotter it will get, especially inside the cabin of a vehicle. Action cameras like the GoPro are designed to run intermittently for relatively short periods of time.

Yes that too, you will have to make sure the sun dosent hit the camera, and for any chance of recording all the time you will need a fan blowing air over the camera the whole time, and i think it have to be a good strong fan, which are also noisy.
One of the guys in here used his SJ7 Star as a dashcam, it nearly melted and never worked again as far as i remember, and this was a British guy so not one of the warmer / sunny countries.

Most action cameras have this issue to some degree, they are meant for recording a little action now and then, not for recording a long time or god forbid constantly.

I have used my GoPro Hero 5, and Hero 6, when I take my car to the track in hot and cooler days as well, and with or without battery it over heats after about an hour and shuts down. I assume the new GoPro 7 will be the same. They shoot really nice on the track with good stabilization but it shuts down whenit gets hot.

to be fair I think the GoPro does what it's intended to do quite well, the majority of them do not get used for extended periods so the heat doesn't come up as an issue for most, using them outside of their intended functionality you can't really get upset when they don't want to work for hours on end, it was never part of the design brief I'm sure

No, in general i think if your split your recordings up into 15 or 30 minutes MAX you will be good, but anything over that and you will be in trouble, not least if it is a camera that are in a waterproof housing.
When i use my action cameras i record for 10 minutes max, and normally < 5 minutes
I might have the camera on for a longer period as i move camera in between recordings, but thats stand by and not a problem for any camera as far as i know.
And i have yet to run out of power during a session.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
George Maharis Home Security, Surveillance Cameras, IP Cams, CCTV 2