Got rearended :(

ThePro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC, G1WH, A118, Mobius, etc
This was about a month ago, but I didn't want to upload it because I was still dealing with insurance. Car got fixed now and it's all settled. Excuse the cursing.

It's actually my first accident as a driver.

Sucks but no injury I hope and you have proof in case.
Same thing happened to me as a passenger long ago.
The car in front was yielding for oncoming traffic and it moved little bit.
My friend, driver, thought the car moved but it only moved few feet and stopped and we rear ended it.

Drivers check the left side and forget to see the car in front once it starts to move a little.

Just like me,,,, first word the F one :D

This was about a month ago, but I didn't want to upload it because I was still dealing with insurance. Car got fixed now and it's all settled. Excuse the cursing.

It's actually my first accident as a driver.

I could just feel it coming! When it happened I had a flashback to the same thing that happened to me a few years ago. My car had similar damage but closer to the center. What exactly is the point of a "bumper" that can't take an impact at such a low speed?

The point of a bumper is to crumple and absorb most of the energy. Older cars used to have thick metal bumper that could take a hard hit and not get a scratch but the driver would get tossed around harder because the energy had to go somewhere.

So we got soft car that can easily fold itself up in a nasty accident while making it possible for people to walk out alive. You can thank idiot drivers, drunks, and other careless people for the need to have car like this.

After the hit I started thinking "BMW, Mercedes, Pick-up truck, SUV. Which one will it be?" :rolleyes:

Btw, Nissan GT-R at 1:00. ;)

Last edited:
Glad I don't drive over there, your signs are so confusing. I mean, WTF does a big, red, octagonal sign with the letters STOP picked out in white mean?:rolleyes:

Glad I don't drive over there, your signs are so confusing. I mean, WTF does a big, red, octagonal sign with the letters STOP picked out in white mean?:rolleyes:
Right! That's got the be the most misunderstood sign there is - at least based on the number of people who actually comply. :(

Joking aside, which of those 3 solid white lines seen at 16s is the actual stop line? I assume it's the first one that only goes across one side of the road. Why is it set back so far where you can't even see down the road to the right? What rules (if any) apply after you pass that line?

Only done it once years ago but several times since I have very nearly rear ended the car in front my only saving grace a quick application of the brakes...

It seems to happen having checked the traffic left and seen the car moving forward infront I tend to keep an eye on the traffic to the left to see if I can follow him out...

unfortunately this leaves me having to brake when I notice the car in front aborting pulling out...

There was an 11 second gap in traffic which behind you I would have assumed you would have continued to pull out into and probably had time to pull out myself........

Here is an example, but it is a bit biased as you will notice the car in front has a habit of turning into a road and stopping for no reason what so ever both times he turns in front of me.. for sure he will be rear ended in the near future if he hasn't been already....

yes... I m following and am at fault !!!

(looking to left for traffic here )

5 second delay. I had to pull out further to the point where I got hit. Traffic was going approximately 30 so I would cut them off unless I accelerated fairly hard.

11 second between car passing and next car coming which is plenty of time for you to pull out and as you moved he thought you were...( as I would have )

why did you need to brake with plenty of time to pull out ?

Stop sign and I had literally no way of seeing traffic due to a small hill. What am I supposed to do, blindly pull out and get hit?

Malibu did the exact same thing I did btw.

surely you had a view from the left a car behind ?

and if there is a small hill blocking vision how can anyone ever pull out safely or even see a car 11 seconds away..

The important thing to learn is ... there will always be people sat behind and some will mistake your movement for actually pulling out and it will probably happen again way down the line if you then hesitate and brake and I would make a note to modify my pulling out skills to prevent a re occurrence by being more decisive with an 11 second gap the car behind will be watching rather than you for braking...

The stop lines are often placed so far back from the intersection that the view to the left is obscured by buildings, shrubs, mailboxes, and power transformers. The only way to safely see whether the path is clear is to move right up to the corner as both the Malibu and the OP did.

My first (and only) 'failure to stop' ticket was on an intersection just like this. You stop completely at the line, and then move forward to get a better view. With it clear, you roll through and proceed. Of course, a cop coming the other way doesn't see that you stopped at the line, and only sees you rolling through the intersection. Photos mean nothing to the judges. Video, on the other hand, is priceless to show you DID stop at the line. And another reason why dash cameras are priceless to prove innocence.

Back