GPS Interference

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, it seems like Mini 0903 (nanoQ) is not the only one that produces huge GPS interference.
My GC is just as bad:

The only difference is that GC's own GPS module works...

P.S. Apologies for the "blurrycam" video :)

Here is VIOFO 119

Any dashcam CMOS sensor can interfere with GPS signals in the immediate vicinity. That's why the GC GPS is external and meant to be installed away from the main unit.

Any dashcam CMOS sensor can interfere with GPS signals in the immediate vicinity. That's why the GC GPS is external and meant to be installed away from the main unit.
That is kind of selfish thinking. ;) As long as my module works, I don't care about anyone else...

FYI for future SG9665GC shoppers:

The latest batch of GC has a "pre-flipped" GPS module meant for easier window mounting. All you have to do is stick it to the windshield in the upper right corner (if you sit left/drive right)

The cable's shorter too (less to tuck in)

15d75d93f1ee99626192ca3b61d70b03.jpg

That is kind of selfish thinking. ;) As long as my module works, I don't care about anyone else...
You can usually locate your phone/satnav away from your dashcam. At least with the GC you can also locate its GPS away from the dashcam too.

You can usually locate your phone/satnav away from your dashcam. At least with the GC you can also locate its GPS away from the dashcam too.
Sure. But this indicates that there is insufficient (or non-existent) shielding which will affect GC's own module since some interference gets modulated onto the cable.
Maybe if this was improved, the lock times could be instantaneous.
Looks to me, @viofo figured it out already ;)

where is the antenna located in the GPS unit though, the two tests are not the same as one has the camera directly above the GPS, the other is laying next to it's side, our camera is well within spec for EMI but if you sit it right on top of another device you can still cause issues, neither test is representative of how they are configured in actual use though anyway

Sure. But this indicates that there is insufficient (or non-existent) shielding which will affect GC's own module since some interference gets modulated onto the cable.
Maybe if this was improved, the lock times could be instantaneous.
Looks to me, @viofo figured it out already ;)
Sorry for the unhelpful comment. I understand that it would be better not to have your device placement dictated by the interference between them.

where is the antenna located in the GPS unit though, the two tests are not the same as one has the camera directly above the GPS, the other is laying next to it's side, our camera is well within spec for EMI but if you sit it right on top of another device you can still cause issues, neither test is representative of how they are configured in actual use though anyway
The first case (on the windshield) is probably typical for most people.

The first case (on the windshield) is probably typical for most people.

not sure about the USA, we'd never get away with having a GPS mounted up in the middle of the window like that so it's far from typical in our part of the world, legalities aside it seems like an impractical place to actually put a GPS nav device anyway, even below that has been ruled out these days due to obstruction of vision, we're meant to run them drivers side bottom corner of the window

I know nothing will change for GC but it would still be a good idea to look at it for the next generation.

I know nothing will change for GC but it would still be a good idea to look at it for the next generation.

the A119 is different hardware so will have different characteristics, it has some internal shielding out of necessity otherwise the camera would interfere with its own GPS, we are running similar hardware in upcoming models which will also have the same sort of characteristics, different platforms have different effects, that said the GC it is well within test spec for EMI and we don't have interference issues with it in any typical types of installations, we've made quite a lot of adjustments already since the very first release specifically to counter any interference issues

Back