GPS Meta Data

Spad2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to the forum, as well as the dashcam world. I was forced to get one due to multiple stops by police…it seems someone with the same type of car (I have a unique car) has been causing some problems. Less then a week of installing the cam it already saved me. The cops did not know what to say when I had GPS location, time, speed and audio…lol.

In anycase, I would like to strip GPS data from the files for long term storage. Before the dashcam I considered an AVL, so I would like the same type of data as if I had a vehicle locator. I have the dashcam viewer software and see that I can extract GPX and KML, but I don’t see how I can view the trip with timestamps.
I have the A129 duo

I am new to the forum, as well as the dashcam world. I was forced to get one due to multiple stops by police…it seems someone with the same type of car (I have a unique car) has been causing some problems. Less then a week of installing the cam it already saved me. The cops did not know what to say when I had GPS location, time, speed and audio…lol.

In anycase, I would like to strip GPS data from the files for long term storage. Before the dashcam I considered an AVL, so I would like the same type of data as if I had a vehicle locator. I have the dashcam viewer software and see that I can extract GPX and KML, but I don’t see how I can view the trip with timestamps.
I have the A129 duo
Hi,
I would personally like to see @viofo create a gps text file to save this step you go through.

I use a site for mapping out my travels which I find excellent. I have used it for years on and off and never had any issue with it. You will find when you go to the site however that it is not a secure site but this should not really matter unless you are sending personal data to it like your name and bank account. It has a seperate spot where you can donate which takes you straight to Paypal's security.

Regardless of all that the site is free.

Let me know if it is what you were looking for.

Cheers.

Last edited:
i did find that site. it maps your trip and the time it started. I dont see any other time stamps on the route. So a 2 hour trip would only have 1 time stamp- the time the trip started

i did find that site. it maps your trip and the time it started. I dont see any other time stamps on the route. So a 2 hour trip would only have 1 time stamp- the time the trip started
Unfortunately Google maps has forced the site to pay for an api which must have been free previously.
It used to not only map your journey but would apply the various speeds.
I found it very useful.

It says it can still do it but it looks like you have to register to get the api from no evil Google!

Am I understanding this correctly? If you don't overlay the GPS info onto the video (where it displays speed and/or coordinates), can you still get that data afterwards? Is it available as metadata in the video file?

Unfortunately Google maps has forced the site to pay for an api which must have been free previously.
I found it very useful.

It says it can still do it but it looks like you have to register to get the api from no evil Google!
I found it very useful.

I saw the API notice as well.
I did not know the site used to shows speeds.
now that I know that I will spend more time trying to see if I can register the API
Thank you much

Am I understanding this correctly? If you don't overlay the GPS info onto the video (where it displays speed and/or coordinates), can you still get that data afterwards? Is it available as metadata in the video file?

I do not overlay speed in the video.
I have that turned off-- I cant think of a single time that my speed would have helped...lol
I overlay GPS location and a unique identifier "watermark" on my videos
When I play back using dashcam software I have access to speed, location, direction, etc.
If I ever had to submit my viedio I would strip the metadata out.

In the case of the request in this post, I am able to extract the Metadata to a file that is embedded in the video
I am just having difficulty displaying it with useful information

Hi, I am newbie here and was trying to extract gps data from my Lukas Ace 7900 and it displays gps data in its own player but never gives it in text file in older version text file. i tried exiftool and posted the details here. Let me know anybody decoded gps metadata in Lukas dash camera. I have asked for help of Phil in exiftool.org forum https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=5095.msg59347#msg59347

I have the A129 duo

I am not sure if I understand what you're asking, so sorry if I give the wrong answer. Are you wanting to remove the Meta Data from the video file for privacy reasons or extract the meta data to be overlaid onto a map as the video is played?

So long as you have GPS enabled, a program called GPSCAM will take the video, play it, and map your driving in real time as the video is played.

Back