GPS showing driving speed to be used against you?

thehank

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're driving 10-15mph over the limit and you're in an accident, while an accident being the other driver's fault - how much could this be used against you?

My point is I'm always going faster whenever I look down. 34 in a 25, 75 in a 60, etc. I don't want that to be used against me, heaven forbid I'm in an accident.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to NOT have the speed on the video and just keep it as "I was going faster just based on the video." Instead of me going 78 in a 65 which the other insurance company could use against me.

Does anyone else see it this way?

Simple answer is to slow down and stick to the speed limits.

Speed can always be worked out from the video anyway, the GPS speed overlay is more convenient, but is not necessary.

If your going faster than the speed limit contributed to the accident, or increased the amount of damage, or made the difference between an injury and a death, then you should accept some of the blame and some of the cost/compensation.

A bullseye for @Nigel (y) Insurance method and laws vary a lot by location, but one thing is constant- never give evidence which can be used against you. If your video doesn't look like you were speeding it may not receive any further attention, but if your displayed GPS speed is over the limit at all it will be microscoped and you will not look good in front of a Judge or Jury because of that. If you or anyone needs to verify your speed, a forensic time/distance measurement will do that with perfect accuracy.

Nearly everybody speeds where I live. Maybe once or twice a week do I pass a slower car who isn't turning or something. I try to do the speed limit but I'm sometimes very slightly over. I consider it good enough to know that all my vids from any time will show me as the slowest and most careful car out there. Anyone watching them is probably not going to see anything worth looking more deeply at as they realize that it will be nearly impossible to successfully fight against me with the video I have. It's fun to see your GPS data on a map or on your viewer but otherwise almost nobody needs it on their dashcam.

Phil

GPS speeds aren’t reliable nor your dashcam is a well calibrated speed logging device. You should not use the dashcam consumer-grade GPS speed as evidence for your benefit or degradation.
Actually GPS speed might be off 5 to 10 miles above (in most cases) your actual speed.
If you are going to use speed as evidence, log it from the vehicle computer using an OBD II dongle and a datalog application.

App: I suggest RaceChrono Pro for either iOS or Android. Another good app is TrackAddict.

OBD2: I’m happy with the Kiwi3 (bluetooth dongle). Don’t go cheap with those dongles. Cheap ones might fry your car computer.

Sample:

Blue = OBD II
Pink = GPS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
A bullseye for @Nigel (y) Insurance method and laws vary a lot by location, but one thing is constant- never give evidence which can be used against you. If your video doesn't look like you were speeding it may not receive any further attention, but if your displayed GPS speed is over the limit at all it will be microscoped and you will not look good in front of a Judge or Jury because of that. If you or anyone needs to verify your speed, a forensic time/distance measurement will do that with perfect accuracy.

Nearly everybody speeds where I live. Maybe once or twice a week do I pass a slower car who isn't turning or something. I try to do the speed limit but I'm sometimes very slightly over. I consider it good enough to know that all my vids from any time will show me as the slowest and most careful car out there. Anyone watching them is probably not going to see anything worth looking more deeply at as they realize that it will be nearly impossible to successfully fight against me with the video I have. It's fun to see your GPS data on a map or on your viewer but otherwise almost nobody needs it on their dashcam.

Phil

That's what my mindset was too. Thanks for the reply!

All factors, from both parties, should be considered in any incident no matter what the severity.

OBD speed can be way off as well depending on the state of your tires. Conversely, GPS can be very accurate if higer sample rate is used (10hz) Most dashcams use 1hz sample rate.
Waylens Horizon is one of the few using 10hz rate.

In the big truck, I'm usually no more than 5 mph over the speed limit. (Yeah, it's like I'm standing still on most roads) This has worked for me for the last 3.5 million miles in a truck, no speeding tickets. One of the bigger factors is i actively pay attention to the changing speed limits, work zones, etc. I can't figure out if people don't give a F.....or can't read? I think it's mostly the 'F" factor.
I have the speed display/embed turned on in the A119V2 I use in my truck as the primary cam. I'll hand over that card if I have to, I don't have anything to hide except maybe being 3-5 mph over the speed limit, sometimes.
:p
If the speed limit is 65 or over, it doesn't matter, I only do 63-64, even though the truck will go substantially faster.
(Drives the other truckers nuts)
:ROFLMAO:
Slow down, but most importantly, PAY ATTENTION TO THE SPEED LIMITS. You can't go by what the other vehicles are doing.

OBD speed can be way off as well depending on the state of your tires. Conversely, GPS can be very accurate if higer sample rate is used (10hz) Most dashcams use 1hz sample rate.
Waylens Horizon is one of the few using 10hz rate.

OBD speed is not accurate on most cars, it can be calibrated to be accurate but this isn't always an option

lots of cameras that have GPS that sample at higher rates, of those that do the majority generally only update once per second so the data you get is still the same as you get from a 1Hz GPS so that it's easier to read, mostly motorsport applications where you will see faster updates being used

Waylens Horizon uses OBDII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OBD takes it's speed from the VSS- the electro-mechanical gadget attached to your transmission which feeds your speedometer. In the US by law it can never show slower than you're actually going but can show several MPH faster than you're actually going. From what rumors I've heard, the 'muscle cars' have theirs calibrated towards the end where it will show the highest speed to impress potential buyers. In the 70's and 80's most motorcycle speedometers did the same thing but even moreso. Of course this should keep you under the posted limit if you do your part :)

GPS can be accurate, but it isn't much to speak of in the cheap units placed in dashcams. It's main problem here is "lag" where it still shows a higher speed for some time after you've slowed down. If it gets a reliable satellite lock, that is. And many suffer from random glitches :( Honestly, if your own speed was below the posted limit, the opposing side will just argue that it was still too fast for conditions even with your GPS proof. And it won't be enough to get you out of a speeding ticket on it's own. At best it can close down anyone stating that you were flying, but your video will show enough to do that all by itself. And if needed, a time-distance measurement taken from the location where the event happened can offer exact proof of your speed.

Get it and use it if you want to, but if it ever bites you in the butt it's your own fault and I won't have any sympathy for you then. We're all human and we all make mistakes, but I'd rather not make the proving of my errors easier than I have to. My video proves enough of what I need all by itself ;)

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D F800 / F800 PRO 7
Back