GPS unreliable - interference from car equipment?

ejstubbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed my 0803 at the weekend but initial results suggest that the GPS is not working properly. It seems to get a fix OK at the start of the drive, but loses it very quickly. The Dashcam Viewer data screen reports "no GPS data" for every video segment after the first. Before I send the whole thing back for a refund/replacement, is there anything that might be interfering with getting a GPS fix? I have the unit mounted up next to the rear view mirror. Could some of the hardware in there (rain sensor, auto-dipping sensor) be upsetting the GPS fix? If so, how far away from the mirror do I need to I try putting the GPS mount?

Electrically heated windscreen?

Not on my car (though it would undeniably be useful here in the winter).

If there's no history of this being a problem for other users then'll probably assume that the unit is faulty.

The only reported problem I can think of that almost fits is that the pins on the base to camera connector can be a bit loose and so may not make contact at all times - check that they are all at the same height, spring back properly if you press them down and that the camera doesn't feel loose in its connector. If that is the issue then it can probably be fixed via DIY if you want to have a go - guide on other threads here.

I'm not convinced that is the problem though.

Have you tried the camera outside the car to see if it loses the GPS lock when it's got direct site of the satellites - at least that would be a quick and dirty way of identifying whether it's the camera / mount or you've got one of those cars with troublesome coatings for GPS etc.

If it's using the long cable just plug it into the cigarette lighter in the car and place the camera and mount on the windscreen?

The cables I have are around 3m so plenty of slack - not sure how long the cables are with these though?

What sort of car is it?

I have just experimented with it in the back garden, powered from a phone charger plugged in to a mains extension cable. It's clear from that test that the camera shoe is not a very secure fitting in the GPS base, and wiggling them gently by hand caused the GPS signal to drop out. The pins all spring back OK so it looks like the mechanical connection between the camera and the base just isn't good enough to maintain the electrical connection reliably.

I'll have a look for possible fixes on other threads but I suspect this example is going to end up being returned.

EDIT: Just tried the shim trick. The physical connection to the base was much more secure but the GPS wouldn't get a fix and then the satellite icon disappeared altogether. This one is definitely going back!

Last edited:
EDIT: Just tried the shim trick. The physical connection to the base was much more secure but the GPS wouldn't get a fix and then the satellite icon disappeared altogether. This one is definitely going back!
Here is the other thread for tighter pins rather than tighter socket, if you ordered it from China then it's probably worth a try before sending it back: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gps-dock-pin-repair.6493/

I haven't got a good idea of what proportion of these connectors are faulty but it does seem to be an unreasonable number, so you might ask them to test it before sending the replacement. The ones that are made well are good though and the materials seem quite decent for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you do the shim trick so that the camera is closer to the pins?

Kelvin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ghines Mini 0803 4
David106 Mini 0803 15
Back