GPS Viewer Recommendation

Spenbeck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been searching for a FREE, simply, easy to use viewer for my EPrance 0803, after trying several video editors I can higher recommend AVIDEMUX, its available as either 32 or 64 bit, is completely free, seamlessly joins the video files and saves them in several format options. There is no re-encoding so the original video quality is maintained. This is not a sophisticated editing suite by any means but if you just want to view and save files seamlessly with no loss of quality it is perfect.

Registrator Viewer does this very simply also and is probably the most popular software for dashcam use

The title to this is missleading. I thought you had found free software that could read the MINI 0803 GPS files. I already have something that can play the videos, but nothing for the GPS. GPSBabel does not support it yet.

I tried the Registrator Viewer and do like it, very convenient and fully functional. The bit I don't like is that it's not your programme, it's simply accessed on-line. This is not a problem unless the developer decides to remove it or start to charge for it. I will certainly use it for its convenience and functionality but retain the Avidemux as a useful backup programme.

has been free for the past 3 years, not sure they'll change that anytime soon, even if they started charging for future versions it doesn't stop the current versions working

The point I am making is that the programme does not reside on your computer, all you get is a link to run the programme online. Even the download link says 'Does not require installation'. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah you've misunderstood, it runs from an executable that you download to your computer and run, no installation is required

The point I am making is that the programme does not reside on your computer, all you get is a link to run the programme online. Even the download link says 'Does not require installation'. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Instead of running the download link, I copied it to the root folder of my memory card so that now when I put the memory card in any PC I can run registrator viewer straight from the card and it automatically finds all the video on that card. It doesn't need to be installed on the PC, just run from the memory card.

Many thanks, I follow all that and will put a copy on the memory card. Can someone just confirm where exactly the executable is hosted? My concern being that if it is hosted remotely what would happen if the server was withdrawn. Maybe I am missing something here.

the file right now is likely hosted in Russia since that's where the developer is, download it and keep it wherever you like, you only need do that once ;)

I'm sure I must be coming across as really dim on this but this is the 1st time I have come across an executable file that works in this way. When I ran it I was expecting it to install on the computer like every other .exe file I've had. How is this different?

plenty of lightweight programs run just from the executable, they don't need to install, quite often programs only install for convenience, not because it is actually needed, the program is resident on Datakam cameras so it has been written to run from the exe without installing, just lucky for everyone else that they let people use their program

I'm sure I must be coming across as really dim on this but this is the 1st time I have come across an executable file that works in this way. When I ran it I was expecting it to install on the computer like every other .exe file I've had. How is this different?
It is an executable file, not an installer file. ie. it is the file that the installer would install if there was an installer. Since it can run on it's own without any other setup or other files there was no need to write an installer for it.

If you run it without an internet connection then it runs fine - no need for a server, I don't think it attempts to connect the internet.

If you run it without an internet connection then it runs fine - no need for a server, I don't think it attempts to connect the internet.

it needs an internet connection to display maps but their is no reliance on external servers for it to work otherwise, it is a standalone application

it needs an internet connection to display maps but their is no reliance on external servers for it to work otherwise, it is a standalone application
Yes, I forgot about the maps, but it will run without a connection, you just don't get the map displayed.

So surely this is exactly my point, the programme is resident on Datakam Cameras, so if this site closes down what happens then?

I'm confused here - when you download Registrator Viewer you get the executable - it's what's called a portable executable which means you can run it anywhere.

You don't run it straight from their website - if you get an option to run or save just save it.

If you are running it everytime just right click this link and select save:

http://download.registratorviewer.com/download/RegistratorViewer.exe

Once you have a local copy it doesn't matter if they shut down. Not sure why that worries you though as it's the same thing if AVIDemux decide to shut their site down - you can still run it but you just can't get a new copy.

Back