Great deal on GitUp G3 Duo

user777

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Dash Cam
GitUp Git2P
Hey all,

Just got a very tempting offer from GitUp's tech support to upgrade my Git2P to the newer G3 Duo.
Now, the gadget maniac in me would obviously want to get the newer toy, but my logic is telling me to go with whichever offers the better image/video quality.

The camera is used on board my motorcycle mostly for snapping photos and for video recording some interesting routes along the way.
I am not interested in the Duo functionality or the touchscreen so much, but I do understand that the G3 has a new Sony sensor.

How much better is this sensor vs the Panasonic on the 2P? I tried to find side by side comparisons but couldn't reach a proper conclusion.
If the IQ is indeed better, is it worth upgrading just for that alone?

Also, is there ANY possible way to get the Git2 remote to work with the G3?

Many thanks
Nick

The Git2 remote will not work, the G3 uses Bluetooth rather than wireless (although of course Bluetooth is wireless!). Other Bluetooth remotes may be useable.

The picture quality is significantly better, especially in lower light levels like you probably have a lot of in Finland. It is however lower resolution so photographs sometimes have a disadvantage, although raw photos tend to be a lot cleaner on the G3 with more scope for adjustment without noise/banding issues. In proper dark I found it looses it's advantage.

The stabilisation is also noticeably better with roll axis smoothing which is missing on the Git 2,

Difficult to say if you would find the upgrade worthwhile, but if you can make use of both, eg a G3 front view and Git 2 for rear or selfie, then you can make much more interesting videos.

You might consider having the 90 degree version so with the Git2 you have a choice of angles, likely a good choice for photographs, but maybe not so good for the bike.

There is also the Gitup F1 but that is not so good for photos since you can't see what you are doing without using the phone app.

I been very pleased with my G3. Plenty of different resolutions all are good. I think you will find that the git2 remote will not work with G3. The G3 remote will work with the F1.

The Git2 remote will not work, the G3 uses Bluetooth rather than wireless (although of course Bluetooth is wireless!). Other Bluetooth remotes may be useable.

The picture quality is significantly better, especially in lower light levels like you probably have a lot of in Finland. It is however lower resolution so photographs sometimes have a disadvantage, although raw photos tend to be a lot cleaner on the G3 with more scope for adjustment without noise/banding issues. In proper dark I found it looses it's advantage.

The stabilisation is also noticeably better with roll axis smoothing which is missing on the Git 2,

Difficult to say if you would find the upgrade worthwhile, but if you can make use of both, eg a G3 front view and Git 2 for rear or selfie, then you can make much more interesting videos.

You might consider having the 90 degree version so with the Git2 you have a choice of angles, likely a good choice for photographs, but maybe not so good for the bike.

There is also the Gitup F1 but that is not so good for photos since you can't see what you are doing without using the phone app.

Thanks Nigel, I was thinking along the same lines too.
The remote is very important to me, as I am using it on the bike to trigger the shutter, so if I do upgrade I'd need the remote as well etc.

From my experience with many digital photocameras over the years, having a lower resolution is not a bad thing with these tiny sensors. If anything it helps by keeping the noise down thereby needing less noise removal/processing etc.

We'll see in due time. In the meantime, if anyone has the 2P and the G3 and would like to do a side by side comparison, that would be lovely.

Back