GS1000 Battery

Hi,

We just migrated to a faster server. Was having some issues during the last week. They were not deleted on purpose and I apologize if any messages were lost.

DashCamMan said:
Hi,

We just migrated to a faster server. Was having some issues during the last week. They were not deleted on purpose and I apologize if any messages were lost.
No need to apologize man. ;) I noticed the migration. :) And I'm happy to be a faster server as well.

it looks like I have a case of a dead battery after 2-3 weeks of use:
- ignition switch off: the display shows no power and Bye-bye;
- one of the saved movies is already marked is invalid.

What is the procedure to test the battery ? The idea now is:
- to use mains charger for 14 hours with camera off;
- after 14 hours: camera on, no LCD off, no auto-power off, record, and see by the lenght of recorded files for how long the camera was on on battery only.

Any other suggestion ?

___

Totally empty battery charged for 15 hours, and here are the results:
1. first of all, the european adapter is too narrow, it hardly has a good contact or connection to the socket:
abcd0010.jpg

2. plugged in:
- 44 mA
- 4,7 W
- 0 kWh
- recording time = on time = 0,09 h = 5 min
- camera screen: nothing special
dsc04907.jpg

dsc04909.jpg

dsc04910.jpg

dsc04911.jpg

dsc04904.jpg

The red light (LED) was blinking: bright-dimmed-bright-dimmed, and so on.
15 hours later it was blinking: bright-off-bright-off.
What's the code here ? When bright, when dimmed, when off ?

After 15 hours:
- 30 mA
- 3,6 W
- 0,058 kWh
- recording time = on time = 15,62 h = 15 h 37 min.
dsc04915.jpg

dsc04917.jpg

dsc04919.jpg

dsc04913.jpg

So far so good. The problem started, when I wanted to turn the record off. I pushed the REC/OK button, and the camera went in to an endless loop of messages: Max file size reached !Storage 10 error ! Max file size reached !Storage 10 error !
No button responded, push or press&hold - nothing. So the next step is a Reset button.
The camera responded to it and switched off.

Switched it back on, and found another invalid file:
clipboard01.jpg

Unfortunatelly, in that confusion with error-messages I forgot to write down the recording time from the camera LCD. That might help to a better analysis of what was going on.

This is a consuption of a "stand-alone" mains charger, no camera attatched: it sure has some consumption, otherwise that annoying red LED would not be on, but not enough for the energy meter to detect:
dsc04923.jpg

The last step was to test the fully charged battery life.
Turned the camera on, record on, no auto-turn-off, no LCD-off.
The red battery symbol, indicating it's empty, appeared after 24 minutes.
The camera said "no power" and "Bye-bye" after 29 minutes.

I guess 29 minutes of life for a fully charged battery of that size is a normal result, right ?
What worries me, is increasing number of stored files marked as invalid, unusuall behaviour of a camera with error-messages, and above all why I did this test in the first place - how come the battery didn't charge in a car to work without power for at least 30 seconds, but the camera was working well when plugged in a cigarette lighter.

Like previously mentioned, I pushed the reset-button, so if it was a software error, it must go away.
What I'm gonna do next, is format the memory card (Kingston 32GB class 10).
Any other ideas ?

Back