GS1000 Freezing at random intervals

tony_m

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys,

I'm on to my second GS1000. Had the seller replace it as the first one had issues. Basically, after a few days, it'll stop recording, and just show the spinning ring. It becomes totally frozen, you can't do anything but hit the reset button, at which point it'll start to record again, and when it tries to save the file it will lock up again.

Now I know what you're thinking! SD card! Because I did to. As a format fixed the card (initially) I thought it was just a rubbish micro SD card "Master" brand, seller supplied. So I spent $30 on a Samsung 32GB Class 10 card. And the problem persisted. Checking the card in my laptop each time reveals it's always got 4-10GB free space, so it's not like it's full and can't overwrite or something...

I find the only way now I can get into the menu after its frozen, is to reset the cam, eject the card, get into the menu and get to the format option, re-insert the card, and then hit format. At which point it will work perfectly for anywhere between 1-4 days before freezing again.

I keep the screen on now so I can keep an eye on it, make sure it's still going. I wonder if anyone else has these issues and perhaps doesn't realise as their screen is set to Auto-off??

I also have a different looking menu to any other pictures I've seen. Will post pics asap.

Anyone have some insight for me?

This replacement camera has already done it again, after 2 days, and I had to get eBay's dispute resolution team involved to get it replaced anyway!!

Photo%2018-11-2013%2013%2038%2013.jpg
Photo%2018-11-2013%2013%2038%2051.jpg

ok, there is an Ambarella menu that looks like that so likely that is correct, I think the place you bought from just buys entry level product though so it may just be a bit hit and miss as to reliability, if you have the option you might be better trying to get a refund and go with something else, I'm sure there's a comfort factor in buying closer to home but doesn't seem like you're getting stellar service if you have to get eBay involved already, you might do better to look at buying something overseas, you'll get better for less money, places like Foxoffer and some of the other sellers that get mentioned here have a better track record for service

Pic's added. The second pic has the firmware displayed, if that helps.

Really..? Tell me more!?

just a name I've seen come up before on other forums (I'm on Whirlpool regularly also), a lot of people in Australia have bought from them with mixed results

Yeah I am keen for a refund - I just hoped I could find a solution so I could keep the camera, as it is hardwired to the ignition (thanks to the writeup on this site!) and the cable is hidden behind my trim, and under my fusebox!! Such an effort to take out so I can send it back. I will if it keeps freezing though!! Is there an alternative firmware I could try? Or should I just send it back...

Yes- I was just looking at the feedback profile for eBay, it is mixed. My main issue was that they tried to tell me that the camera never arrived when I posted it back to them for a replacement, even though Australia Post told me the package had been collected!! Tried to lie to me! And then he tried to say I had opened the camera and not re-assembled it properly. It was getting ridiculous. I got ebay involved when the seller stopped replying to my emails, after I had sent the first camera back, waited for 2 weeks and they hadn't issued a replacement!

alternate firmware is unlikely to be available and unlikely to fix the problem anyway, random lockups are more likely hardware related for this model unfortunately, this is a very entry level Ambarella based product, Ambarella is a great solution but you can't corners elsewhere and still expect a great (or reliable even) result

Hi
I'm in the same situation as you, with the exact same problems.

I purchased my GS1000 from an online seller in Australia (Melbourne).
I decided not to buy from china or eBay to decrease my chances of receiving a dud unit.

The 1st unit I had, I tolerated the problem for a few weeks and asked the seller alot of questions to help troubleshoot.
They suggested to try another memory card, so I bought another card, but had the same problem.
So I sent it back.
It was tested and what not, but the freezing problem could not be replicated. Strange.

So out of good faith, they sent a replacement unit.

Well, the quality difference between the new unit and old unit was massively different.
With the new unit, I can easily read number plates, the colors are great and there is no stutter.
The old unit picture was very grainy and blurry. It was terrible.
But, the same problem is back.

I'm very frustrated and don't want to keep hassling the seller.
They deny any problems similar or same to this from other people.
But I suspect that this is a common problem with these cheaper inferior units.

Is there anything we can do to fix this?
I'm thinking maybe a smaller memory card rather than a 32gb card.
Maybe it doesn't like such big capacity cards.

Or have I just wasted $180 of my hard earned?

Cheers
Twiggy

Yes.
It was a sandisk.

I was supplied with a master originally.
Then a Samsung.
All cards were 32gb class 10.

Cheers

Hmmmmm...
Will give it a shot.

Thanks Jokiin.
I'll report back to advise of result.

Already took that avenue.
No refunds after 7 days but 12 month warranty for repairs.
Just spewing its my wife's Christmas present that was bought 1 week before Christmas.

Let me know how you go with a Class 4. Interested. I'm on to my third camera. It is better than the previous two, but has still frozen three times in about a month. I just deal with it now! Or format when I think about it, to give me a few more days grace. Not ideal but gets me by.

The seller assured me that this unit had been tested and was quite surprised when I contacted regarding the issue again. It arrived with a totally flat battery so I suspect it was never actually tested...

Fingers crossed for a good news update!

Also- if it is defective (which it is, mind you) and you want a refund, you are entitled to a full refund plus cost of return postage under Australian consumer law. eBay supports this. Mention that and you'll get results.

Also- if it is defective (which it is, mind you) and you want a refund, you are entitled to a full refund plus cost of return postage under Australian consumer law. eBay supports this. Mention that and you'll get results.

Yeah I agree, just because you buy online doesn't change the rules, contact fair trading in your state if you have issues with the seller

Back