GS6000 Falsificator Modded firmware

Matt789

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Is it possible to get the night recording better please ?
Its good now but not as bright as my older dash cam was.

I've seen some footage on Youtube with people using the modded firmware and its much clearer and brighter than my setup.

So what is everyones settings for the modded firmware from Falsificator please ?

I have found WDR on is best for night and day.
If I turn it off the night quality is terrible.

My settings are:
Resolution – 2304 x 1296/30F
Video Quality – S.Fine
WDR - On
TV System - PAL
Flicker - 50Hz
Contrast - Not set this to anything
Sharpness - Not set this to anything
White Balance - Not set this to anything
Ev Setting - Not set this to anything

Everything else is on the default settings.

I've played with the settings on contrast, sharpness, white balance and ev setting but can't work out the best settings for both night and day. Any ideas and anyone got it as good as this one on Youtube ?

Last edited:
That's actually my video and personally I thought it was much better quality detail wise with WDR off like this?

In that one you like I think it was totally standard settings.

Have you reset the settings to factory defaults to see how it looks afterwards?

Before you do that make sure you make a note of how many screens down the language option is as on the custom firmwares it will reset the langauge to Russian!

On the video you liked there I had the TV system set to NTSC so that it would capture more frames (30 vs 25) and flicker may have been set to Auto?

Unfortunately I had to send the camera back as it started misbehaving as soon as we had some nice weather over here - I replaced with a GT680W for now and I'm waiting to see what options there are with the higher end A7LA70D and the OV4689 sensor which do HDR.

Seeing the two YT screenshots together does show how much brighter WDR is though (although I just noticed they've upped the brightness of the screenshot!)

Daft question but it's not because I've got bright headlights that it looks brighter is it? They're HIDs with pretty new Osram Xenarc Cool Blue Intense bulbs.

That's actually my video and personally I thought it was much better quality detail wise with WDR off like this?

In that one you like I think it was totally standard settings.

Have you reset the settings to factory defaults to see how it looks afterwards?

Before you do that make sure you make a note of how many screens down the language option is as on the custom firmwares it will reset the langauge to Russian!

On the video you liked there I had the TV system set to NTSC so that it would capture more frames (30 vs 25) and flicker may have been set to Auto?

I get a brighter video with my setup where the road and side walk and side roads are all lit up but where there is standard street lights its much dimmer.

The 3H2 Ambarella A5 did a far better night recording than the Ambarella A7L chip.
During the day though the 3H2 glares to much where the 3H2F there is no glare even when driving along with the sun right in front of you.

It has to be a firmware issue because the A7L chip is suppose to be so much better. The latest go pros use this chip and the quality is very good although the night not as good. Maybe its going to take time to get a better result.

If I was just to use the 3H2F standard firmware then all I see is the headlights at night but this modded firmware I see much more of the road but still not as bright as the Ambarella A5 3H2 model dash cam.

I have to have WDR on otherwise everything is at least 30% darker at night.

I played around with the contrast and set it to the max and that is to bright for daytime where everything is nearly white as a ghost. I don't want to be resetting it every time I go out for day and night.

Why can't they have a night setting and a setting for day and that ought to be do it.

So what is everyones settings for the modded firmware from Falsificator please ?
My settings are:
Video Quality – S.Fine
WDR - On
TV System - PAL
Flicker - 60Hz
Ev Setting - Night - +0.3...0.7, Day - 0.0...-0.7

My settings are:
Video Quality – S.Fine
WDR - On
TV System - PAL
Flicker - 60Hz
Ev Setting - Night - +0.3...0.7, Day - 0.0...-0.7

I'll try the evening setting at +.3

It seems to be recording at night quite well, in fact better than my older dash cam using the A5 chip.
60Hz shouldn't that be for the US video system ?
PAL is meant to be at 50Hz.

The shop I bought it from is working on a new firmware version. If that goes well I'll post that firmware version. They are set to add a night setting along with a day setting so I don't need to alter the ev setting for day or night.

Flicker setting depends on the power supply in your country, it's not related to PAL/NTSC settings

It is somewhat of a consensus on Russian forums that setting "Flicker" to 60Hz regardless of the country you're in gives better video quality at the expense of some flickering (LED traffic lights, LED tail lights on some new cars etc). This certainly applies to A2 based cams as I could find out myself, probably to other Ambarella based cams too.

It is somewhat of a consensus on Russian forums that setting "Flicker" to 60Hz regardless of the country you're in gives better video quality at the expense of some flickering (LED traffic lights, LED tail lights on some new cars etc). This certainly applies to A2 based cams as I could find out myself, probably to other Ambarella based cams too.

Thanks for your post. I will try 60Hz and see if that makes it better again with the night time video.

Thanks for your post. I will try 60Hz and see if that makes it better again with the night time video.

Setting it at 60Hz has done the trick. Thanks.

This is now a lot better. Traffic lights weren't flickering on play back.
I would say its now one of the best night dash cams I've seen so I am thrilled.

Many thanks.

I'll try the evening setting at +.3

It seems to be recording at night quite well, in fact better than my older dash cam using the A5 chip.
60Hz shouldn't that be for the US video system ?
PAL is meant to be at 50Hz.

The shop I bought it from is working on a new firmware version. If that goes well I'll post that firmware version. They are set to add a night setting along with a day setting so I don't need to alter the ev setting for day or night.

Eagerly awaiting. Shouldn't be too many lines of code to call up the clock, see night hours and switch the EV accordingly.

Eagerly awaiting. Shouldn't be too many lines of code to call up the clock, see night hours and switch the EV accordingly.

It will save me changing the ev setting all the time.
I have noticed a marked improvement in video quality going from 50Hz to 60Hz.
Wonder if they can modify the firmware to go to 70Hz or is that beyond the capability of
the cams hardware ?

Can you upload a sample of the difference between 50 and 60Hz please?

I had to send mine back as it died on me, but I'm intrigued to see what difference this setting makes!

Thanks in advance!

Can you upload a sample of the difference between 50 and 60Hz please?

I had to send mine back as it died on me, but I'm intrigued to see what difference this setting makes!

Thanks in advance!

Video is smooth as silk on 60Hz. Video size is 272Mb and no where to upload it to. I have a youtube account and did an upload however the file is so compressed that its unwatchable. I re downloaded it and the same file was just 20Mb.

If this site allows screen grabs of videos I can post a picture which shows the difference.
50Hz and the video is a bit grainy or rough close to the car but smooth way ahead where 60Hz
is very smooth with no grainy or rough video close up. Side footpaths comes out smooth as well as the entire road.

The original firmware for these cams and all you saw at night was the headlights on the road and a brown tinge over the entire footage when on the freeway.

This modded firmware fixes everything and the 60hz and the ev setting at +0.3 has done the trick.
My mate has a go pro and although its a clean image at night its much darker where this now makes it better than the go pro for night recording at a fraction of the price.

Well all I can say is I am rapt. I look forward to the next firmware update in the next few days where they'll add a night and a day setting so no more messing around with the settings for day and night.

Don't get too excited for anything over 60hz. Modern monitors (probably including the built in one) max at 60hz refresh, even the ones that say 120hz and 240hz. Now, in the days of yore where 60hz CRT monitors would look flickery to the modern eye, LCDs and such don't matter.

Who are you getting the firmware from? Falsificators firmware was great, it's just a shame I had the hardware failure in the end.

I'll definitely by buying another A7 device at some point - just waiting for the A7LA70D ones with the higher end Omnivision sensor.

Back