GS900 (VF960S)

Hi mario,

have you tried to use the SOS button when recording on the GS900?
I cannot see that file is marked Read Only. It is just a red dot over the camera ikon top left.
That could mean that the G-sensor also does nothing i.e. mark file Read Only.
Have you got any file marked Read Only?

What does the padlock ikon at bottom center on LCD show? It is always "locked" !

Cheers Eric

erkhu said:
Hi mario,

have you tried to use the SOS button when recording on the GS900?
I cannot see that file is marked Read Only. It is just a red dot over the camera ikon top left.
That could mean that the G-sensor also does nothing i.e. mark file Read Only.
Have you got any file marked Read Only?

What does the padlock ikon at bottom center on LCD show? It is always "locked" !

Cheers Eric

Hi Eric,

I haven't really used any of the functions, however I did once set my G Sensor to 2G and the result was a heap of renamed files (it doesn't mark them read only, it just renames them so that they don't get over written). As for the padlock icon, I've never looked that closely. I did once take a photo in photo mode and that is when I discovered that the lens goes a lot wider than what you see in 1080p mode, looks closer to 170° with a very pronounced fisheye effect, but very high resolution.

Cheers :)

I've got some samples up from my newly received GS900. You lose some quality on the playback sites (even when you choose 1080p playback quality it seems) but Daily Motion has the advantage of being able to download the original (native quality) file so you can play it locally to see what actually comes out of the camera without any connection or down-converting interference. Just scroll to the bottom of each video's page to see the download options.

The weather hasn't cooperated for a few days so most of these are in low or late-afternoon light - not the most ideal conditions but not horrible either. If the sun comes out today I'll get some optimal footage up under this same link. I've even remembered to clean my windscreen after the first few bug-laden tests! LOL

I have Firmware 20130725 and my audio seems fine. I've left it in place on most of the files and have the radio at a 'normal' level. You can also hear my turning signal in places which seems to indicate it's plenty clear for a dashcam. My cam is mounted upper centre of the windscreen in normal (not upside-down) orientation. It is a small car (a Nissan Juke) so I get a decent bit of road noise too. Hope that info helps some others on diagnosing their audio.

Link:
http://www.dailymotion.com/ca-en/releva ... arthing/1#

(ps. ignore the video of my new farmland - it was done on a different camera as noted in the description)

Enjoy the views of Nova Scotia!

- CH

Last edited by a moderator:
One more quick note since it came up in the thread earlier...no problems at all with the cam's GPS picking up signal. Since day one it seems to catch the satellites inside 10 seconds most of the time. Never been longer than, say, 20 seconds even right out of the box. And it's been mostly cloudy since the day I got it so I'm not sure what could have led to others taking longer than that. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 dedicated GPS in the car and it only takes a few seconds less to latch onto signal so I have no complaints on this front.

Hope that helps with someone's diagnostics out there. Happy driving!

- CH

[offtopic]
CanadianHermit said:
(ps. ignore the video of my new farmland - it was done on a different camera as noted in the description)
Enjoy the views of Nova Scotia! - CH

seems like a beautiful place to live! maybe some minor decorating and you're all set ;)[/offtopic]

CanadianHermit said:
One more quick note since it came up in the thread earlier...no problems at all with the cam's GPS picking up signal. Since day one it seems to catch the satellites inside 10 seconds most of the time. Never been longer than, say, 20 seconds even right out of the box. And it's been mostly cloudy since the day I got it so I'm not sure what could have led to others taking longer than that. I have a Garmin Nuvi 1490 dedicated GPS in the car and it only takes a few seconds less to latch onto signal so I have no complaints on this front.

Hope that helps with someone's diagnostics out there. Happy driving!

- CH

Hi CanadianHermit,

Out of curiosity could you please tell me what brand/model/size your microSD card is? I have a theory that the GS900's ability to acquire satellites quickly is partially dependant on the SD card. I only say this as I noticed one day when I was testing an 8Gb Class 6 card I had lying around that the GS900 picked up a signal very quickly, whereas when I use my normal 32Gb Class 10 card it would take significantly longer, and sometimes not at all.

Cheers :) Mario

Hello Mario!

I don't know if this will help or hurt your theory but I use a 32GB Class 10 card from Lexar. I already owned a stack of them for use in my Canon digital camera and just grabbed one from the pile and reformatted it in the dashcam. Unfortunately I don't have any OTHER brands or sizes to test. I picked up a bunch of these on boxing day last year when they were on a good sale. Less than $15 each as I recall but I had read that Lexar was a premium brand on par with Sandisk at the time. Of course those reputations can change over time so your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

- CH

Thewalven said:
[offtopic]
CanadianHermit said:
Enjoy the views of Nova Scotia! - CH

seems like a beautiful place to live! maybe some minor decorating and you're all set ;)[/offtopic]

[offtopic]Heh...thanks. Agreed that it's pretty out there. I was going to go all out and put in two more chairs before I called it finished. :D Now if I can just convince the woman in my life to do without walls I'll be all set, eh?[/offtopic]

CanadianHermit said:
Hello Mario!

I don't know if this will help or hurt your theory but I use a 32GB Class 10 card from Lexar. I already owned a stack of them for use in my Canon digital camera and just grabbed one from the pile and reformatted it in the dashcam. Unfortunately I don't have any OTHER brands or sizes to test. I picked up a bunch of these on boxing day last year when they were on a good sale. Less than $15 each as I recall but I had read that Lexar was a premium brand on par with Sandisk at the time. Of course those reputations can change over time so your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

- CH

Thanks. I normally use a Sandisk 32Gb Class 10, might get a hold of a Lexar to see how it compares.

Hi all. I use GS900 with GPS about few weeks, and have problem with wrong time, witch change when gps is connected. Is there some possibility to disable the GPS?

MitoZ said:
Hi all. I use GS900 with GPS about few weeks, and have problem with wrong time, witch change when gps is connected. Is there some possibility to disable the GPS?

This is a new "feature" which has been introduced recently in the latest firmware. The time shown is taken directly from the GPS satellite network and is UTC time. To convert to your local time just add or subtract your timezone.

mariomart said:
MitoZ said:

This is a new "feature" which has been introduced recently in the latest firmware. The time shown is taken directly from the GPS satellite network and is UTC time. To convert to your local time just add or subtract your timezone.
How can i do that? I can't find any setting for setting timezone :(
For me this wrong time is not problem, but i can't use this video for resolving any conflicts on the road coz it have wrong time in the stamp, and if i switch off stamp i can't use this video too. (sorry for my English, it's not my mothertongue)

MitoZ said:
How can i do that? I can't find any setting for setting timezone :(
For me this wrong time is not problem, but i can't use this video for resolving any conflicts on the road coz it have wrong time in the stamp, and if i switch off stamp i can't use this video too. (sorry for my English, it's not my mothertongue)

Hi MitoZ,

Unfortunately there is no setting, yet, that allows for local time conversion. I wouldn't worry about the time stamp for resolving conflicts, you will probably find a court would be more happier to accept the GPS synced UTC time code, rather than a user entered time code (it's actually very accurate, to a fraction of a second).

A few pages back I saw a few photos of the VF960S setup which had a cable plugged into the bottom of the mount. What's that for? Is it for the GPS antenna to connect? I hope not as I just ordered one of these and I am hoping the GPS antenna is internal.

Edit: Here are the photos I was referring to: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1283&start=70#p20884

I believe those photos are an advanced mod to an external GPS antenna for a specific purpose that user is testing. Rest assured the standard unit has an internal GPS antenna. In my case, it works just fine with no mods needed. The power lead 'normally' goes straight into the cam. Have fun when your camera arrives!

- CH

It does have a parking mode but since I park for extended periods at home (safely in the countryside) and don't have a battery saver interrupt thingy (whatever they're really called), I've not toyed with that feature as yet. Perhaps I'll sort it all out later on a rare trip to the big city.

Hello to all the VF960s fans :D and as well the owners :P,

After going through this forum I was convinced of this cam's capability & zeroed on to buy this from foxoffer. But lately after seeing the review of this Mini DVR from Techmoan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8), my mind has become a pendulum & I am really confused which DVR to choose.This new Mini DVR is more packed & compact and it can be discreetly placed under your rear view mirror. The discussion thread for this Mini DVR can be found here (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1001)

But the question here is (atleast for me), does this cam records the speed on the recorded video? Actually if there is no speed stamp on the recorded video, the whole purpose of getting a GPS DVR gets defeated.

As per members here the VF960S records the speed into the video as well (As shown by mariomart viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1283&hilit=vf960s&start=60)

The advantage of this Mini DVR is its size & compactness. Still confused which one to buy :(
Please help me guys

Thanks

typicalvishu said:
, does this cam records the speed on the recorded video?
It stamps the speed with letters as km/h in the video. plus it records text-files with one line per second containting gps-position, speed and the g-sensor values. Same file name as the respective video file, just different file extension.

Beware that there is some kind of delay between gps measurements (lat/lon, speed) and the recording inside the video file. this may be just one second, but as well up to 3 seconds.
so if you for example drive throuth cities and break hard, then while standind somebody crashes from the side in your car's door, you will probably have an image of a collision at 40km/h...
But that's probably something where you would in case of a court trial need to appoint an expert witness who dechiffres the recording to explain it to the court.

And if an export is apointed, he will off course verify recordings as well by photometric measurements comparing different freezed frames just to ensure that the recorded values are in the right range.
So if it comes to fatal casualties, i strongly assume the experts would even reconstruct evidence from videos without any gps/speed recordings. Just by triangulation.

adorfer said:
It stamps the speed with letters as km/h in the video. plus it records text-files with one line per second containting gps-position, speed and the g-sensor values. Same file name as the respective video file, just different file extension.

So if it comes to fatal casualties, i strongly assume the experts would even reconstruct evidence from videos without any gps/speed recordings. Just by triangulation.

Thanks for the explanation, Can I see any uploaded video shot by the Mini DVR which shows the speed stamping in the recorded video. Members please excuse me If i am diverting the attention from VF960S :mrgreen:

Again, here in India where people pay no heed to the traffic rules, this hi-tech gadges is of no use :lol: . Generally people settle the dispute among themselves (obviously the one who dominates the argument & fight is the winner) and the issue is hardly reported to police and the damage claims are settled from the (insurance companies + from the loser of the fight).

My purpose for buying is to record videos on long scenic trips and the general traffic conditions

Back