GS9000 (or others) and Mac support

davipt

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I've been searching the forum for any reference to Mac support. I've understood already that the camera embeds the GPS location data into the video file - and others save a separate file - and that there is no Mac software for decoding those, and that's ok, my question here is about the video files:

- if I take the SD card and put on my Mac, will I get a standard filesystem (FAT32 I assume) with .mov files that can be played on Quicktime (standard H264+AAC), whereas the file will have the speed and date/time overlaid (if enabled on the menus), or is it something more complicated?

I understand that on Windows there is a need for installing drivers and all that mess even for standard stuff, but H264 and AAC and specially the MOV container are native on MacOSX, so will it just work out of the box?

Again, I understand that the GPS data needs Windows software, and connecting the GS device via USB to the Mac will most probably result in no device being recognized at all, but that is ok, I can discover a windows machine for the GPS and any potential firmware update in case the firmware update is ever needed and the SD procedure doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if it's a basic question.

I have a GS9000. Indeed if you connect it to your computer (or the microSD card directly) you will get a FAT32 filesystem with MOV files. Normally they should be directly playable on Mac.

The GPS data is saved in seperate files and not embedded inside the video file. You need a Windows application to read them, I don't know if a Mac version exists.

The timestamp and GPS speed readout are embedded on the video so they will always be visible when you play the movie in Quicktime, and cannot be toggled on/off since they're part of the video. If you disable the speed logging in the dashcam's menu it will still show as 0 km/h on the video, I didn't try disabling the timestamp.

So you were pretty much correct on most aspects. :)

When you connect the dashcam directly to a computer, and option comes on the dashcam asking you what to do. You can choose MSC, charge or open.

If you choose MSC, the computer will detect it as external storage and expose the internal memory (useless) and the SD card as drives. I think that will work on a Mac aswell.
Charge seems useless to me since it also charges in the other modes.
'Open' allows you to use the camera normally.

Back