H.265 codec

cf7

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
INNOVV..C3. Xiaomi Yi Dashcam
Any dashcam with the use of H.265 standard yet?

Nothing I've seen yet - it's still all a bit new yet and not even the Ambarella A9 supports it, although they did just release an S3 for the security market that supports it so it will probably be two generations away yet.

Saying that only the obscure Chinese Android media players support it so by the time we're a year down the road hopefully more things will support it. Heck the Amazon Fire TV can't even do 24p and the Chromecast can't do 25p or 50i yet!

I don't trust Amazon stuff myself..
Well..saving my dollars for next generation dashcam then...

That would be my guess too jokiin, at least 2015 models sould be laid out for the regular formats, so 2016 might be the first year for H.265 in Dashcams.

So what's now ? It's 2016 now. Do you think any korean dashcam with low bitrate and good image quality is using H265 codec ?
p.png

Mobius 2 will use the H265 as leaked by Tom Frank from the RC group forum. A few of us here are waiting not-so-patiently.:D

The last IP camera ( IMX185 ) i played around with allso supported H265 and H264, but the camera dont feel polished.

which one would that be?
I doubt about that when I read some forums like this:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-vs-lukas-lk-7500.10815/
I down raw file and start wondering: why lukas file have only 202 Mb have same imagine quality with another file has 358 Mb ?
And some of lukas file which have bitrate only 5 Mbps but the quality is pretty amazing. I wonder: How did they do that ?
One more with blackvue:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/blackvue-dr600gw-hd-arrived-today.6477/
I only doubt, I don't have any trueable sourse.

when the raw files are available you can check the properties to see how they are encoded
I have it here. I searched how they encoded from yesterday. Still don't know how.
20164fa2372b-099b-469e-9e03-bd7b69889614.jpg

compression3.jpg

That's also explain why blackvue and lukas become bad when record some scenes with too many moving object.

So it seems that h.265 is best left to something like security cam where there would be lots of static images and not to dash cam with lots of moving images.

What i think happed is H265 can take areas of a frame with little going on and process them as a larger chunk ( big squares in pic ) and then just use the prosessing power for the areas where there is a lot of action going on ( small squares )

So for dashcam use i assume the upper 1/3 of the frame ( the sky ) will be big blocks processes, and proberly a fjew in the bottom of the frame as thats often dashbord and the hood of the car.
And so it can focus on where all the action is in the middle of the frame.

If H265 cant be used for action, well than its a waste of good tech.

If you are all say true. Why ppl dont use MPEG2 compression for action cam and dashcam ? I just check file from lukas and blackvue. The VLC tell: its a H264.

Back