H265 - Let's get grainy.

JooVuu

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So following on from my post (I didn't write the article) that received a fair few likes, I thought I'd hunt down an article I recently read (it turns out it was posted in 2014) about H265.
https://sonnati.wordpress.com/2014/06/20/h265-part-i-technical-overview/

This led me to another article (the followup) that is probably better: https://sonnati.wordpress.com/2015/...nsiderations-on-quality-and-state-of-the-art/

If you only read one article read the second one, the first one is very technical but the second one brings into play more things to consider.

I still like H265.
I am well aware of how popular H264 is, and i cant remember how it took off in the start, but i am sure there also was issues with the adoption of H264 back then.
It do confuse me a little that it seem like many people have problems handling H265 videos on their computer, my computer handle it alright and its a 4 year old machine and nothing special by the standards of today.
But of course if you are like my friend and only have a cheap ass computer then you will have problems playing games with the cool grafix and also handelingH265 footage, but thats what you get when you only want to spend 1/4 or 1/3 of what my computer cost me back then ( hardware only )

There is a lot of things you cant do well on a cheap computer thats really build for office work like word and a little internet browsing, it took me a while to make my friend understand that when he complained over how bad his cheap computer handled that brand new kick ass computer game, and how slow it is when he is editing videos on that computer.

H265 has positives and negatives, I'm not commenting on them really - it was just more of a technical look. These are the things you don't even think twice about before using yet the technology behind them is ridiculously impressive.

I still like H265.
I am well aware of how popular H264 is, and i cant remember how it took off in the start...
From the 2nd article: "H.264 has started to spread the web only when it was supported by Flash Player in 2007 (and Adobe paid the license), now that Flash is out of the game the future of H.265 for the browser is much more uncertain. Google is pushing VP9 (free and already supported in Chrome)"

I still think that AV1 (evolved from Google/YouTube's VP9) will take over from H264 for most purposes including dashcams and action cameras. VP9 does a nicer job of encoding dashcam video than H264, especially at higher compression, and has a free license for everyone.

Free is nice and more or less all i can afford so i support that wholeheartedly.

I must say in regard to Google i do like what they have managed to do with a single 12 mpix camera in their new phone, not least as other manufactures of smartphones now seem to have 2 cameras on the back and 2 cameras on the front of their phones.

...I must say in regard to Google i do like what they have managed to do with a single 12 mpix camera in their new phone, not least as other manufactures of smartphones now seem to have 2 cameras on the back and 2 cameras on the front of their phones.
That image sensor would be great for a 4K dashcam, it is able to expose the bright and dark HDR frames simultaneously and so get no motion blur between the HDR exposures with fast moving objects!

http://www.xda-developers.com/sony-...of-the-google-pixels-sensor-and-its-features/

Indeed, also what i was thinking when i read it. :)

At this point in time H.265 is an interesting technical accomplishment that may well eventually become the replacement standard for H.264 but for the time being it is somewhat of a Red Herring as far as being in any way practical for dash cam users.

The simple fact is that as a dash cam user in late 2016, if you ever need to submit files, especially conformed originals to insurance companies, law enforcement, attorneys or courts of law, virtually none of these entities are likely to have appropriate computers and software with which to easily view H.265 files. In many instances your submitted files will be handed off to individuals you don't even know or will ever have any contact with, many of whom don't even know what the term H.265 means or how to view or work with such files. If these individuals are not able to easily and efficiently view your dash cam videos with the media players and tools they already have on hand and are accustomed to using you may find yourself out of luck, legally and strategically speaking.

As a member of DashCamTalk for more than three years it has become clear that only a very tiny percentage of dash cam owning members here at DCT have ever been in an incident or accident that has actually involved submitting files to the authorities, insurance companies or attorneys. The vast majority of videos presented here are basically entertainment in the form of "bad driver" or "gotcha" videos posted on YouTube or perhaps just demonstration examples. Oftentimes, I've seen statements and assertions made on these pages regarding what members might wish to, or plan to do and imagine doing with their dash cam files in the event of a car accident or other matter that indicate that they have no clue and no experience with how the process works when one is in a position of having to provide vital legally actionable evidence in a given matter.

I've mentioned here and there over time on DCT that I first became interested in dash cams more than six years ago due to an ongoing criminal matter regarding harassment by a certain contract breaking individual I once did business with who among other things often acts out recklessly and dangerously with his vehicle because he's angry that I hired an attorney to resolve the matter. The result was that I gained quite a lot of experience in submitting video files to law enforcement that eventually were used in a criminal prosecution that involved state prosecutors, defense attorneys, courtroom procedures, etc.

What I learned from this is that video files submitted and used in any type of legal matter must be as absolutely simple and easy for the most clueless, semi-computer literate bureaucrat, insurance adjuster, court official, law enforcement officer or attorney to view, copy and hand off to colleagues, other departments or agencies as possible. In addition, in many, many cases, the computers and software available to these parties (regardless of their individual knowledge or experience) are older and in some cases woefully out-of-date.

So, while H.265 and its capabilities are certainly of interest to us "enthusiasts" and it is worthy of much interesting discussion and speculation here on DCT, the fact is that at this point in time H.265 is of no practical value to current dash cam users and will not be until such time as it actually becomes a well established standard.

Last edited:
Back