Hallo from Lake Constanze

M

mike-k

Hi,

I'm Mike, living in Switzerland (south shore of Lake Constanze), being reading a long time in this forum to get some background-infos (=user experience) to the cameras and decision-help, and have -thanks to this forum - finally chosen the A118...

Freshly using the cam, I already had a question. Hopefully, I'll find an answer here...

And, who knows, maybe I'll be capable of giving some advice...

But, please be patient with me: my english is not very good, I'll try and do my best :)

Hi and welcome to the site .....maybe you can help with a legality issue according to one report it say that in switzerland that dashcams in cars contravene data protection the site is as follows Guidelines on video surveillance in vehicles (Dashcams) Ipol

Hi Ipol

No problem there - I checked with Swiss EDOEB (Eidgenössischer Datenschutzbeauftragter) (the responsible Place for Privacy and so on) a few months ago... They answered, but my reply if I could publish those Infos has not been answered. So I'll short it:

Dashcams itself are ok, but if you (or anyone) want to publish Videos, you have to ensure that no Numberplate, no Streetplate (?!) and no Person is identifiable... Also no Vid must not be published when people or Car-Holder don't agree to it...

When I get the ok to publish, I'll translate the Message I received... But it more or less is the same as here:
http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/datenschutz/00625/00729/01075/index.html?lang=en
(only a newer date, and saying more on "do's and don'ts)

looks like you have some editing to do if you wish to post it on line then even uploading samples to DCT, at least you wont get the dashcam confiscated that was my concern for you. Nice to see you did some research before buying .....Ipol. thats the site that I was referring to To reiterate welcome to the forum.

Yes, that's a bit sad, as every Tourist takes Pics without knowing local rules and laws, and will also never be punished because of that...

A part of my reply to the EDOEB:
"when i walk through an area where many tourists are, and they takes a photo and i'll be in them - i can't do anything as i had to know, that in this area might be photographers and filmers taking pictures and vids; so it's my risk.

furthermore, i have been working on local tv-station, and we were allowed to film everything on public spaces which has been visible. filming on the street has been ok, eventhough numberplates and faces have been visible.

how shall a dashcam violate the rules which also apply for tourists or tv-stations, who have no problems filming in the same locations as dashcams?"

(loosly translated from German to English, didn't make a spellcheck)

Got an answer to that in the E-Mail I received from EDOEB; just sent a follow-up if I am allowed to publish their answer (anonymized of course) or at least: the important part... When I get the "ok" from EDOEB: is there a special Place/Thread where I shall post their answer on "how DCs affect data protection laws"?

On the other Hand, DC's record in Pieces from 1 to 5 Minutes in normal; most occasions need attention in a cutting-program anyway, so it's easy to pixelate needed parts, before publishing the Vid (and/or Photo)

reading that I'm so sure even having one there is ok, publishing or not

Yes, having one is totaly ok...
As long:
a) the Dashcam is not blocking the view out of the Windshield (like the GPS-Thingies: they must be mounted outside the drivers view **
b) you pixelate Faces, Numberplates and other "sensitive" Markings (like Company- and Streetnames)

b is the very short version of EDOEBs answer ;)

** I mounted my A118 behind the Rearmirror, the only thing I see of it is the USB-Cable which goes "up into the ceiling". So the Formfactor and Mounting-System has been major concern before buying

Herzlich willkommen mike-k

And dont feel bad about your English.

I know kamkar1 doesnt feel bad about his :p hi there denmark the drawer in which my normal cam sits has jammed I still cant get into it Looks like I am going to have to buy another cam or I will never get photos off to Lukas :confused: its a :(bad time at the moment the bitchumishi goes in for the Timing chain change plus a full service next week. They have quoted between 800 and 1000 euros OUCH :( :( :(

might be a good market for Blackvue where the pixelation is standard :D

Possibly... Most of the Shops here are selling HP-Cameras, it's still a small market...

@kamkar1

I don't feel bad - just fear that I have to feel sorry at some point ;)

Hi & welcome Mike-k

"b) you pixelate Faces, Numberplates and other "sensitive" Markings (like Company- and Streetnames)"

Wow...I've read that before here & it's a real mind blower to us in the USA....As I posted previously, our courts have ruled that a person (civilian or government employee) in a public place has no "expectation of privacy", ie, if u'r out in public, u can't claim another person (by using a camera or whatever), is invading u'r privacy, since anyone could see what u'r doing.

Have there been cases in any countries that have laws like Switzerland's, where someone has been prosecuted or sued successfully, because of violating that law?

btw...don't apologize for u'r English....there's very few Americans that can speak 2 languages.

There has been such a Case here all around:
Google Streetview.
Had to pixelate Faces all over Europe... With Switzerland, they also had long discussions acc. the Numberplates... Caused a delay for the "go live" of Streetview in Switzerland...

I can understand that for a commercial endeavor, but to make people like u do that when u post DC footage here...that's where it gets dicey I think.

Well - I see it this way:
if you want to have some privacy for yourself, you have to grant it to others...

And it's not that much work to pixelate faces and/or (number)plates... Expecially when you have to cut several 3min-vids together... (there's an alternative: eg. if you upload a movie of an accident - ask if it's ok to publish without pixelation ;)

I got kinda the same confused feeling with the US extraoneya.

You Guys claim to have free speech, but using the F Word on tv result in a beep, here you can use the F Word and any Word you want to if you want to come off as a foul mouthed idiot on tv.
You can not not launch a racist ramble on tv or any other media as we have Laws against that, but we actually allow skum like nazis here, we actually have a Little nazi party here, not in goverment offcourse, but they do have a Club house kinda like a biker gang, and at times they do a protest march though that get the left ving anakists off ther asses and mayhem ensue.

Thats the problem with freedom, it allso allow for the freedom to be stupid and ill informed :rolleyes:

I have allways said the Americans are crazy,,,,, but its my kind of crazy :)

I have allways said the Americans are crazy,,

Of course we are!

We can't show sexual activity in media or say naughty words on the boob tube (might corrupt the kiddies, ya know), but if it's graphic violence w/ some blood & guts throw in...well...the more the better.
Yup...let's hear it for upholding the public morals!

I think the differences between our countries are so diverse, that we could have an own thread for that...

But, somehow, since a certain date at the beginning of the century, most countries became schizo, when it comes down to privacy and dataprotection... Governments invade it more and more (eg. Switzerland: new, there shall be a total surveilance of all TelCo-Channels, even without having a "magistral decistion to do so" (kamkar1: "richterlicher Beschluss" auf Englisch?)... Not because our Gov's care about Security or want to prevent crime, no - the EU said to do so (so they can change the EuGH (uppest Court in EU)'s sentence and reactivate their sourveilance-program)

But well - as I said, that's a topic to its own...

let's concentrate on the topic "Dashcams (in Switzerland) and this strange new guy "mike"" in this thread, ok

:)

You live in a beautiful place there :)

I made the experience, that every Place ist beautiful - as long you don't live there... As soon you live there, the Area somehow looses it's magic why you moved there...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mercury2000 Introductions 1