kiteboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I know this technically should be in which camera to buy section of the forum

but Id thought Id ask the users of the mini 0803

I still like the look of the 0803 or the mobius - ie they are small basically

How do the people who use the 0803 find it generally - I dont really want a lot of problems - leave and forget preferably

I dont mind the odd reboot or freeze but generally want something that will last a few years at least

Thanks for any info guys

I have a Mobius and recently got an 0803.
The Mobius has never given me any problems and is still working fine, no overheating, exploding batteries or anything like that you may read about. I only bought the 0803 to get the GPS and wider angle of view.
MY 0803 make an odd noise when everything else is quiet, someone else on here reported the same problem. They don't all do this.
The mount goes a bit slack after a few weeks, fixed with the paper shim trick, there is a new modified mount out now, search for this and the shim trick.
Mine is tucked up behind the mirror with just the bottom part of the screen showing, it only get taken out if I want to change something or fiddle with it.
Last a few years? I think the Mobius might but not sure how long the 0803 will last.

Frank

Thanks - I think Im swaying to the mobius - shame the 0803 looks good

I am happy with my 0803 now that the latest firmware has fixed a long standing bug, but I have not had any of the issues people have been experiencing on this forum. I have had the camera since mid June and used it daily on both short and long trips, no overheating, no reboots, no boot up loops, no recording loop issues and no lockups.

That's good to know....sod.it then I'll try the 0803 as that's the one thats most appealing the me...if it fails then its lessons learned

I here newer models have heatsinks and possibly a new mount...is that correct?

That's good to know....sod.it then I'll try the 0803 as that's the one thats most appealing the me...if it fails then its lessons learned

From what I've read on here - yes.

Frank

Problem with the 0803 is that everything varies depending on who you buy it from. The internals and performance will vary a bit. The heat sinks also vary as well. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/heat-sink-added-into-0803.6642/

I think if you read the 0803 threads, and you should, you will see a lot of problems right now. They never did sort out the 0801 and so far the 0803 continues the same path.

List what you are looking for and the forum members can lead you to a good camera. I can recommend the Mobius for a entry level, reliable camera with great performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 0803 is behaving fine. Upgraded the firmware to whatever the official one is from Raymond. Been going strong a couple of months so far.

I bought my 0803 from E-Prance fulfilled by Amazon, easy return if you are not happy.

I agree with David106, buy from E-Prance on Amazon, you know you will be getting the real McCoy. I think the 0803 is brilliant, amazing value for money, easy to fit, small and unobtrusive.

Thanks all

One thing Im not sure of is you can get the 0803 with a gps logger and then also a gps mount??
I take it they do exactly the same thing but is there any preference to which is better?
My idea was a mount would be better??
Also finally is it better to have internal memory or external ?? Or no difference really?
Sorry - will buy soon once I know what Im buying and best options

Starting to look at hard-wiring also - not exactly sure what to do but what Ive read doesnt seem too bad - can also see site selling a double fused sort of adapter that goes into your fusebox - worth getting one of those too or just wire it up?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks all

One thing Im not sure of is you can get the 0803 with a gps logger and then also a gps mount??
I take it they do exactly the same thing but is there any preference to which is better?
Also finally is it better to have internal memory or external ?? Or no difference really?
Sorry - will buy soon once I know what Im buying and best options

Starting to look at hard-wiring also - not exactly sure what to do but what Ive read doesnt seem too bad - can also see site selling a double fused sort of adapter that goes into your fusebox - worth getting one of those too or just wire it up?

Thanks again
The Mini 0803 GPS unit is within the Mount that you can see, unless you order the non-GPS version.;) You can buy an extra GPS mount for installing in a second car if you wish, but you'd also need an extra 12v to micro USB connector/power supply if you go down this route - unless you fancy re-routing the wire each time.o_O
It's personal preference really re. External vs. Internal. External you can remove the microSD card and download your footage. Internal you have a choice of recording to the internal memory card or to an external microSD card instead.

Mine's not hard-wired, so I'm sorry can't help you there.

P.S. I've had no problems with my Mini 0803 from FoxOffer, apart from the loose mount issue.

Last edited:
Thanks all

The GPS reciever is in the mount, you could buy a cam without GPS them buy a GPS mount later.The cameras are the same.
Matter of choice I suppose? I prefer just the card.
I suppose it depends on the vehicle, I prefer to wire directly to a spare fuse, but I suppose that one of these adaptors is better than bodging it.

Frank

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Mini 0803. The recent improvements to the Mini 0803 addressed the main complaints customers had with the old one, mostly related to the loose mount.

Kelvin

I've got fairly limited experience with my Mini 0803, but aside from the known GPS bracket problem I'd say this camera is a winner. I just ordered two more from Black Boxed, who guarantees to ship the new bracket and internal heat-sync.

Fingers crossed regarding reliability...

I've got fairly limited experience with my Mini 0803, but aside from the known GPS bracket problem I'd say this camera is a winner. I just ordered two more from Black Boxed, who guarantees to ship the new bracket and internal heat-sync.

Fingers crossed regarding reliability...

Thank you for your order! Your order (with the new GPS mounts, of course) has already been processed and dropped off.

We always have warranty to give you peace of mind when something does go wrong. However, I'm sure the new heat sink and the new better fitting mount has fixed many of the previous problems already.

Kelvin

Awesome service, Kelvin. Thank you!

Just a follow up before I go ahead and purchase

If I was to hard wire this in I take it it is best for my needs to find the fuse that controls the car cigarette lighter

1. Use a Tap Fuse thing and use what fuse rating for the 0803??

Then wire that up to one of these - hope theres no probs with linking

http://www.carcamerashop.co.uk/mini-0803-hardwire-kit.html

I take it one of these wires is crimped into the Tap fuse but not sure where the other goes yet

Or would it be best to do step 1 but with say a female cigarette lighter type connection instead

Thanks again

The red wire is the one where you add the fuse tap and the black wire is for a ground (example: metal bolt in the car). Tap into a fuse that is on only when the car is turned on.

Kelvin

The red wire is the one where you add the fuse tap and the black wire is for a ground (example: metal bolt in the car). Tap into a fuse that is on only when the car is turned on.

Kelvin
Yes, also preferably choose a fuse which doesn't turn off while you are starting the engine, on some cars the cigarette lighter fuse will turn off which is possibly the trigger of the continuous beeping issue.

If you can solder, you can solder some wires onto the standard adaptor instead of buying a new one with wires.

The fuse should only need to be 1 amp but it looks like that adaptor has decent sized wires so a 3 or 5 amp fuse should be fine.

Back