Happy with the 0803?

I have a mini 0803 and G1W both ordered in E-Prance. The G1W costs a half than 0803 and in my opinion is much better. The videos on 0803 has a lot of artifacts and in G1W has the video clear, like a perfect full HD. I don't know if the 0803 videos are bad because here in Brazil we have a strong sun during the day, but I tested in a cloud day and same bad results. It has the same problem already reported here: mounts issue, noise issue and bad videos samples.

Don't own any dash cams yet, but doing my research. Just wanted to comment that I really like this design where the usb power is connected to a separate base. I assume the idea is that you can detach the cam without worrying about detaching usb cable too. Good for people who want to remove cam when parked.

I assume the idea is that you can detach the cam without worrying about detaching usb cable too. Good for people who want to remove cam when parked.
I believe it's also to power the GPS. The GPS is built into the base.

Hi, just purchased a 0803. Happy so far. Only used for about 15 mins max but works perfectly with internal and external micro sd cards. The microphone works good and does turn off completely when recording. Picture is good. Looks good through hdmi on tv. Battery only lasts about 10 mins from full charge when recording on it out of car. The new mount works good. GPS logs on fast. I use Registrator Viewer on PC and MX Player on Android tablet. Both work really good. My firmware is 20140822 and branded Blueskysea. It will be interesting to use in mid 30c summer here.

Hi, just purchased a 0803. Happy so far. Only used for about 15 mins max but works perfectly with internal and external micro sd cards. The microphone works good and does turn off completely when recording. Picture is good. Looks good through hdmi on tv. Battery only lasts about 10 mins from full charge when recording on it out of car. The new mount works good. GPS logs on fast. I use Registrator Viewer on PC and MX Player on Android tablet. Both work really good. My firmware is 20140822 and branded Blueskysea. It will be interesting to use in mid 30c summer here.
Welcome :), 10 minutes recording on battery is good, I suggest you make sure it has a sun shade for summer - keep it in shadow from overhead sun so it just has to deal with air temperature. Any interesting features on that firmware, like a working speed overlay?

Welcome :), 10 minutes recording on battery is good, I suggest you make sure it has a sun shade for summer - keep it in shadow from overhead sun so it just has to deal with air temperature. Any interesting features on that firmware, like a working speed overlay?

Hi Nigel, thanks for the suggestions.

Nothing different with this firmware than reported elsewhere. No speed overlay on recording, just in the viewer on pc.

Any interesting features on that firmware, like a working speed overlay?

No speed overlay on recording, just in the viewer on pc.

The ProCam version firmware has a speed overlay on the video but for now it is only in KMH
You can see both versions of the ProCam firmware flashed to my 0803
here
I know Marty is probably not Mighty Car Mods Marty, but I don't think any of us would object to a Mighty Car Mods DashCam episode if the powers that be are listening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was pretty happy until yesterday. That's when I finally decided to investigate the funny smell that was recently in my car. Much to my surprise the battery in my Mini 0803 has swollen, see it here. I really see no reason to replace the battery since it will most likely happen again. I already have a sun shade for the camera, use a good coverage sun shade for the car when parked, and try my best to park the car in the shade when not in a garage.

Therefore unless I can find a super capacitor solution, I feel the 0803 is a lost cause for my usage since I do not intend to remove and replace it every time I park the car.

Hi, just a further update to my use of the 0803 for the last few days. All is good. I am looping effortlessly now 32gb toshiba c10 card. Longest recording has been 1hr20mins and no problems. If I had a complaint it would be the microphone turning on when car restarts every time, like everyone else has said in other threads. If that problem could be fixed it would be a true set and forget dash cam that's discrete. gps is accurate. heat is controlled better than i thought. but like others have said a capacitor future 0803 would kick butt.

Happy with my 0808. (From E-Prance/Amazon) had to shim the mount when i got it but has bean working great. (fit and forget) I only take the card out to format it every two weeks and look how the videos are. I have it in my rear window with a very dark factory tint and video still is nice and clear, a bit dark at night but I don't usually do much night driving.
But now the its getting dark sooner and dark when I go to work I may need to look at putting something else in the rear window. (Any Suggestions welcome)
The only niggle I have with this cam is the sensor seams a bit slow to react when going from light to dark light/dark/light etc. ( ie through tree covered roads)

Don't own any dash cams yet, but doing my research. Just wanted to comment that I really like this design where the usb power is connected to a separate base. I assume the idea is that you can detach the cam without worrying about detaching usb cable too. Good for people who want to remove cam when parked.

The unique mount is the #1 reason why people buy the Mini 0803. It is just so convenient to be able to slide the dash cam out without having to fiddle around with wires.

Hi, just a further update to my use of the 0803 for the last few days. All is good. I am looping effortlessly now 32gb toshiba c10 card. Longest recording has been 1hr20mins and no problems. If I had a complaint it would be the microphone turning on when car restarts every time, like everyone else has said in other threads. If that problem could be fixed it would be a true set and forget dash cam that's discrete. gps is accurate. heat is controlled better than i thought. but like others have said a capacitor future 0803 would kick butt.
The improved Mini 0803 has been pretty good with managing heat. I'm hoping the mic bug will be fixed soon, but it's not a huge problem for most people.

Kelvin

The improved Mini 0803 has been pretty good with managing heat. I'm hoping the mic bug will be fixed soon, but it's not a huge problem for most people.
Kelvin

Really? Did I just get a dud then? To me it seems the battery can't take the heat and there seems to be no room for a super cap solution. (see my post above)

This is my battery after using a sunshade on the car and mounting the camera in a shaded spot behind/under my gate transponder. Only other thing I could do it remove it every time I park, which get old quickly.

Battery%2520swell.JPG

Really? Did I just get a dud then? To me it seems the battery can't take the heat and there seems to be no room for a super cap solution. (see my post above)

This is my battery after using a sunshade on the car and mounting the camera in a shaded spot behind/under my gate transponder. Only other thing I could do it remove it every time I park, which get old quickly.

We haven't received any complaints since the change, so it might be a dud that you received. Do you have warranty with your Mini 0803? Maybe you can get them to replace it for you.

Kelvin

Otherwise the Mini 0803 seems to be fine, but when it's dark, the flashing LED is annoying. I put some black tape on top of it -> problem solved :D

In some posts ago, I told that I was no much happy because video quality. But, after I update iTracker firmware version 20140804 the images are very better. So, now I am happy because the images are satisfatory.

but when it's dark, the flashing LED is annoying.
I really hope this gets addressed soon. I know black tape is an easy fix, but I would rather it be done right.

I'm very happy with my Mini 0803 I got from BlackBoxed.ca in August. I highly recommend them. Works great for me. I forget about it all the time since it just hides behind the rearview mirror!

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Mini 0803 I got from BlackBoxed.ca in August. I highly recommend them. Works great for me. I forget about it all the time since it just hides behind the rearview mirror!

Thank you for the recommendation! We're always here for you if you need anything. ;)

Kelvin

Back