Hard wire power from GM Onstar Mirror

dwpc

Reaction score
Country
United States
My camera's on its way from China so I'm thinking about the best way to hardwire the power. Since the Onstar mirror in GM vehicles has several electronic functions, I was wondering if there's a 5V circuit in there that could be tapped micro USB. I know the two outer leads in the USB cable are 5V & ground.

My camera's on its way from China so I'm thinking about the best way to hardwire the power. Since the Onstar mirror in GM vehicles has several electronic functions, I was wondering if there's a 5V circuit in there that could be tapped micro USB. I know the two outer leads in the USB cable are 5V & ground.

Most likely you need to buy 12V to 5V MiniUSB converter.
... or any other type of 12 to 5V converter depending on what type of power plug is used ( Micro- or Mini USB ? )

Most likely you need to buy 12V to 5V MiniUSB converter.
... or any other type of 12 to 5V converter depending on what type of power plug is used ( Micro- or Mini USB ? )
Yes. I asked on a truck form too and someone replied with detailed info on the GM mirror wiring, but there's no 5V. I knew it was a long shot. I can get 12V at its connector and at least avoid routing down the A-pillar and dash, and pulling the head unit out to access switched power. I'm going to use the EDO 12V/miniUSB transformer; no point risking a cheap no-name transformer that will be hidden in the headliner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B007O59Z7I

Your camera will likely come with a cigarette lighter plug (male end) that will convert from 12v to 5v internally. Some I know have added a cigarette lighter plug (female end) to the wiring in the headliner wiring and plugged the camera into that. Depends of course how much room there is up there to tuck things in.

For those interested in hardwiring from an OnStar mirror, here's a diagram of the GM OnStar mirror's plug in my truck showing pin 13 (switched 12V) and pin 8 (ground) that may be tapped using d-sub male crimp pins on the wire ends of a necessary 12V to 5V transformer that will need to hidden above the headliner. You should test your plug for the same pin outputs before making any connection.

mirror1-M.gif

Back